• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Shonen Jump Vs. Capcom: Tankobon Throwdown

Should Jotaro’s classic fighting game stand mechanic return in Shonen Jump vs. Capcom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 9

Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado (Demon Slayer)

Demon Slayer quickly rose to popularity and is now one of the biggest pieces of media in japan, Tanjiro Kamado was a normal boy until his family was killed by a demon, The only survivors was himself and his Sister Nezuko who was turned into a demon, Tanjiro then vowed to learn to become a Demon Slayer and find a cure for all the demons.

Tanjiro would use his breathing arts and sword strikes while Nezuko could appear and use her Demon powers

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Here are the options for Job #9. Please vote for your top three most wanted in order for both. You can only vote for your own submission in second or third place.
Shonen Jump:
Megadoomer Megadoomer Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Hiei
Jondolio Jondolio Killua
@Darkonedagger Satoru Gojo
Kamen Minecraft Kamen Minecraft Asta
cashregister9 cashregister9 Tanjiro/Nezuko

Capcom
Megadoomer Megadoomer Amaterasu
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Monster Hunter
@Darkonedagger Viewtiful Joe
Kamen Minecraft Kamen Minecraft Edward Falcon
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Frank West

My votes:
1. Bobo
2. Asta
3. Hiei

1. Frank
2. Monster Hunter
3. Joe

D

Deleted member

1. Tanjiro/Nezuko
2. Hiei
3. Gojo

1. Falcon
2. Joe
3. Ammy

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Killua
2. Bo-bobo
3. Hiei

1. Viewtiful Joe
2. Amaterasu
3. Edward Falcon

cashregister9

Smash Hero
1. Bobobo
2. Gojo
3. Tanjiro

1. Amaterasu
2. Viewtiful Joe
3. Monster Hunter

Last edited:

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Shonen Jump
1. Tanjiro
2. Asta
3. Hiei
Capcom
1. Ammy
2. Viewtiful Joe
3. Edward

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Here are the results of our voting:
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo 8
Hiei 11
Killua 5
Satori Gojo 5
Asta 4
Tanjiro/Nezuko 9

Amaterasu 11
Monster Hunter 6
Viewtiful Joe 13
Edward Falcon 6
Frank West 6

And so we will add Hiei and Viewtiful Joe! Now onto the next job:

Job #10: Submit A New Gameplay Mode
Right now the only gameplay mode we have confirmed is arcade mode (we’ll decide the exact way it works later) so I think we should have at least one more mode for this game, similar to arcade mode. Please submit what the mode would be, how it would work, and why it should be in a game like this. It can be a completely new mode that wasn’t in a fighting game before or the same mode as a previous game.

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Job 10:
A new gameplay mode I think we should put in is a Story Mode. Why? Because we have access to all these amazing characters. Why shouldn't we tell an amazing story with them. Manga is all about Stories and Capcom is also able to tell some great stories.
It would be like a RPG story but have Fighting Game stuff mixed in we could also add Bosses and even a World Map to explore.
Overall a really good story mode would be a nice addition.

Job 10:
New Gameplay mode will be Arcade Mode like in SSB, where Characters need to beat others to face the Final Character, their Rival. For example: Ryu's Arcade Mode boss is Goku, which it is his Rival.
Overall, Arcade mode would be perfectly fitting for this Game.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Job 10:
New Gameplay mode will be Arcade Mode like in SSB, where Characters need to beat others to face the Final Character, their Rival. For example: Ryu's Arcade Mode boss is Goku, which it is his Rival.
Overall, Arcade mode would be perfectly fitting for this Game.
Arcade mode will already be in from the start

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Gonna finish up this job soon but before then I’ll submit Randomizer

It’s a mode playable in multiplayer, arcade or non-ranked online. Pretty much, the game selects a random player for you and then whenever you switch out a character you get switched out with a completely random other character. Whenever you call an assist it is also a random character. The game will also automatically switch you out with a random character every 40 seconds if you haven’t already.

I feel like it would be a pretty fun casual mechanic to add to the already really chaotic gameplay of the vs series. It would also give an opportunity to try out a lot of new characters and would just be a pretty fun mechanic. It’s a pretty small mechanic so we would likely have another job later if this was added.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

New Mode:

The Journey:
Similar to an arcade mode, but rather than being themed around a character, players set off on journey across a location on a little mini map. You do various themed fights. There are hidden roots with puzzles to do, I guess kind of like World of Light but without spirts. Rewards can be unlocked such as art, music and costumes

Locations that can be chosen:
Metro City (Final Fight / Street Figther)
Makai (Darkstalkers)
Abel City (Megaman X)
Demon World (Devil May Cry)
Racoon City (Resident Evil)

Namek (Dragon Ball)
Konohagakure (Natuto)
Ground Beta (MHA)
Marineford (One Piece)
Soul Society (Bleach)

We could add more as more seires are confirmed.

Was gonna submit a version of heroes and heralds but I couldn't think of a retheme

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Here are the results of the voting:
Story Mode 2
4 Player 2
Randomizer 6
Journey 14

And so Journey will be our new game mode. One thing though, I was gonna do another job for a gameplay mechanic at a different time but randomizer got a lot of votes so I’m going to do a poll here to see if people want randomizer to be added alongside journey. Here’s the poll:

And I’ll also start the next job which will be a submission one and bit of a discussion

Job #11: Submit a Roster Number and Thoughs on the Roster
So for this job I’d like you to submit a roster number for the base game. The highest your number can be is 50. Try to make it a reasonable number. It has to be an even number, for obvious reasons.

In addition I would like you to say your thoughts on the roster if you would like to. What do you think about the characters we have? where can we improve and expand on? what characters should we add? I’d like to hear your thoughts on this.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
If the highest number is 50, then I say we go for 50.

As for my thoughts on the roster so far... I think it's good, and so far it's managed to differentiate itself from your average shonen jump crossover fighter with some weird character choices on the SJ side. However I do think we're missing some "essentials" like Hunter x Hunter, and I think it's due for some more modern character choices (the most recent character is Deku, who is from 2014). On the Capcom side this is less of a problem since there haven't been any notable new Capcom IPs in recent years afaik, and I do think the character choices on that side are a bit more balanced, if a bit basic.

I'll rate it a 7/10 but I think we can do better

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
sorry i just joined the thread, can someone explain how this works?

also for roster, i feel we definitely need more one piece reps since it's jumps property by a large gap, i would say zoro, nami, law and yamato for recency are all good one piece picks.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
sorry i just joined the thread, can someone explain how this works?

also for roster, i feel we definitely need more one piece reps since it's jumps property by a large gap, i would say zoro, nami, law and yamato for recency are all good one piece picks.
Welcome to the thread, just submit ideas for characters, stages or more once the jobs come. Your ideas have to fit within the rules of each job and the thread. For now it's submitting a roster number and thoughts on the roster but it'll change in the future

D

Deleted member

I'd say maybe go for 40-ish? Big but allows us to expand with DLC.

In terms of the roster? It's a soild start. I think our jump side is pretty good, there are obviously a couple of big seires we still need to add and other reps for existing seires. It would be good to get some modern seires in there (Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man.). And maybe some non shonen series such as sports and romance characters? Would help shake the roster up

For the Capcom side? It's sold but a bit basic. It's cool to get Batsu and Captain Commando again but so far I don't think we have a single character that hasn't been playable in a VS game before? So it would be cool to add some of those characters who missed the boat. Would be neat to get some more modern reps (DMC5 Nero. Lady D. A SFV character.)

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
I'd say around 40-50 is good enough for the roster.
As for my opinion on it so far....We don't have a lot of the big series for Shonen Jump but it's a strong start. (Black Clover, Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man and of course Demon Slayer) I think we might also need more Jojo and One Piece Characters.

As for Capcom. I think it's good. Add in some more popular characters and maybe a few niche ones.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Randomizer will be added alongside Journey. Anyway I would say our votes for the character limit average around 46, so I think we’ll just use that as our roster.

Anyways now onto our next job:

Job #12: Submit A Modern Capcom and Shonen Jump Character
Most people agree we should include more modern characters so here’s a job for it now. Please submit a character who debuted in the 21st century, explain a bit about how they would fight, and why they should be in this game. We’ll add two capcom and two shonen jump characters.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Shonen Jump character: Light Yagami (Death Note)
Gonna quote the last time he was submitted
Character: Light Yagami (& Ryuk)
Series: Deathnote (2003)
Abilities: Thanatokinesis, High Intelligence, Above-Average Athletic Skill
1633034702353.png
1633034702353.png

Is this a bizarre enough pick? Okay, I should probably explain how this moveset would even work.

Light's moveset is primarily based around his use of his intelligence to get the situation just right. As a result, his own moveset is passable - but given he's, well, a normal student despite being the God of the New World, he doesn't have all too much physical strength - though this is counterbalanced by low lag, and a lot of his moves would be based on different things he uses in the actual series, perhaps including the tennis ball and racket from his confrontation with L, or his use of a fountain pen as a very short "knife" that would encourage Light players to perfectly space their attacks for a pretty high-damage sweet-spot.

Notably, though, Light has the main gimmick of Ryuk. Unlike, say, Jotaro - Ryuk isn't some sort of guardian angel for Light, so he's not actually going to be actively controlled by him. Rather, Light has to use his own intelligence to sort of make Ryuk attack opponents - for example, one of his "projectiles" might be him tossing an apple in front of him, that would barely do flinching damage, and be an interactible item. Whilst it seems useless, there's a short delay - and then Ryuk flies/dives right at the apple, happening to deal big damage to anyone in the way in the meantime, but is caught up in a lot of endlag as he eats the apple after catching it.

Lastly, Light's gameplan revolves around his meter. His highest super would have him write down the opponent's name - but far from being an instakill, it actually has an interesting effect. It essentially turns the countdown at the top to a 40 second countdown, in a font similar to that of the Deathnote's own writing - after which time, the opponent will die. There's a catch, however - it can only be activated if Light is both at full meter, and if he's at less than 30% health. (Notably, it also is quite a laggy move where he's quite vulnerable - so a good tech would be tossing an apple to have Ryuk "defend" Light as he writes the name, setting up the final attack.)

Overall, Light's gameplan revolves heavily on the use of clever spacing, and making reads on what your opponent is doing, and what they're going to do - forcing them into situations with the tools you have at your disposal in order to take the win. As a result, Light is actually a difficult character to play, and one I'd imagine would be seen as lower-mid tier - but if you can be intelligent and quick on your feet, you can nail the use of his kit (which, in itself, captures the "cat and mouse" situation that very much defines Deathnote as a whole to many.)
Capcom character: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney)
1633971215114.png
An old friend and rival of Phoenix Wright, Edgeworth would play somewhat similarly to him, but with more of a consummate professional personality, complete with different animations. His reliance on logic would also differentiate him from Nick. He would also be assisted by his frequent investigative partners and friends, **** Gumshoe and Kay Faraday.

(This is admittedly kind of a hastily put together submission so I'm sorry if it's a bit messy)

D

Deleted member

Asura (Asura's Wrath)

A demi god who was betrayed by his peers, seeking revenge on them. With his attitude and over the top punches. This guy just belongs in a game like this. He would have a very hard hitting moveset, with some potential for some crazy supers.

Tusna (Katekyō Hitman Reborn)
A young boy who became heir to the Vongola mafia family. With a target now on his back , Tsuna is tutored by the strange infant Hitman known as Reborn on how be a better boss, getting into strange adventures along the way.

It's a real shame that SJ lost the rights to Shamen King tbh. Would have definitely submitted a character from that.

Resubmittion of Frank West the Modern Guy.
Capcom Characters Submittion:
Frank West (Dead Rising)

I nominate him, because he could represent his Series: Dead Rising. Also, he can use random stuff from Dead Rising series like Guns or etc. Even tho, he could bring action to game like if Frank imagined that his Enemies are Zombies, who try to fight him.

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Shonen Jump:
Asta (Black Clover)
286-2865537_asta-black-clover-asta-demon-form-png-transparent.png

Asta, The Magicless Magic Knight, The boy with the 5 leaf, The Future Wizard King.
Asta is in my opinion is a very important character alongside other modern characters, We believe we will need Black Clover content in this game so why not put in the Protagonist as a playable fighter. Asta's Anti Magic could be a gimmick unique to him and his moveset would be really easy to figure out.

Capcom:
The Hunter (Monster Hunter)
img_base_01_03.png
Monster Hunter is an amazing franchise with equally amazing weapons and I feel not including the Hunter into the roster would be a huge mistake. The Hunter's insane weapons and tough armor would put any foe in a tough situation because of this i think the Hunter's playstyle would be very aggressive and beastlike. The Hunter could also have Male and Female alts.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Shonen Jump

Yamato (One Piece)

I'm not sure if this is a gray area or not - the series has been around since 1997, but the character first appeared in the year 2020. Since the character's still recent in the manga and extremely recent in the anime, I'm going to spoiler-tag everything else, including their appearance.

Yamato is the child of Kaidou, one of the Four Emperors, and a formidable fighter in his/her own right. (Yamato's gender identity is complicated and subject to debate - official materials claim that Yamato's female, but that was after a year of every single character in the series referring to Yamato as "he", "him", or "Kaidou's son", even after Yamato's full appearance was shown. (for the sake of simplicity, I'll stick with "her" going forward to avoid confusion)

From a young age, Yamato idolized Kozuki Oden after witnessing his tragic death and finding his logbook, and sought to emulate him, even referring to herself as Kozuki Oden. Seeing as Kaidou's the one who ultimately killed Oden, this drove a rift between the two of them, and Kaidou treated his own child like a prisoner from that point forward. Starving, Yamato found the Inu Inu Fruit: Model Okuchi-no-Makami and ate it, not realizing what it was. This gave her the ability to transform into a divine white wolf that's seen as a guardian deity of Wano.

To say that Yamato has taken the fandom by storm is an understatement - she ranked 11th in a global popularity poll before even appearing in the anime, and many speculate that she's going to be the next (and possibly last) member of the Straw Hat Pirates. Even if that doesn't wind up happening, Yamato still seems like a character who's going to play a major role going forward, given her connection with Ace and the power that she possesses. (she's one of the few characters who can use Conqueror's Haki - admittedly, there are about twenty characters who can do that, so it's not as rare as it could be, but it's generally a sign that a character's going to be important, since it's reserved for major protagonists, major villains, and important historical figures)

If this isn't allowed or goes against the spirit of this, I can change my nomination; I just thought that a more recent One Piece character couldn't hurt.

Capcom

It might be lazy of me, but I'm going to nominate Amaterasu again. Try as I might, I can't think of anyone else from a more modern Capcom title that I'd rather see. (Okami came out in 2006, so I believe it qualifies)

Amaterasu (Okami)

The main protagonist of Okami, and the Japanese goddess of the sun, Amaterasu roams Japan solving problems for its inhabitants and defeating a variety of evil spirits and beasts. Amaterasu, or Ammy for short, fights using a variety of weapons along with the Celestial Brush, which lets her draw shapes to change the world around her.

Okami's one of those cult classic games that didn't sell well at first but has an extremely dedicated fanbase, and Amaterasu's been playable in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 so there's clearly a base to work with as far as a fighting game appearance is concerned.

Plus, the game looks absolutely gorgeous, which would carry over to any hypothetical stages.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Resubmitting Tanjiro and Nezuko

Demon Slayer's first chapter released in 2016

Job 9

Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado (Demon Slayer)

Demon Slayer quickly rose to popularity and is now one of the biggest pieces of media in japan, Tanjiro Kamado was a normal boy until his family was killed by a demon, The only survivors was himself and his Sister Nezuko who was turned into a demon, Tanjiro then vowed to learn to become a Demon Slayer and find a cure for all the demons.

Tanjiro would use his breathing arts and sword strikes while Nezuko could appear and use her Demon powers
Capcom

Nero (Devil May Cry)

The Main character of Devil May Cry 4 and 5 he wields the Red Queen a sword that can be revved up and Blue Rose a revolver that shoots 2 bullets at once. Nero also has access to a large amount of unique arm replacements that can do all sorts of things.

Shonen Jump

Yamato (One Piece)

I'm not sure if this is a gray area or not - the series has been around since 1997, but the character first appeared in the year 2020. Since the character's still recent in the manga and extremely recent in the anime, I'm going to spoiler-tag everything else, including their appearance.

Yamato is the child of Kaidou, one of the Four Emperors, and a formidable fighter in his/her own right. (Yamato's gender identity is complicated and subject to debate - official materials claim that Yamato's female, but that was after a year of every single character in the series referring to Yamato as "he", "him", or "Kaidou's son", even after Yamato's full appearance was shown. (for the sake of simplicity, I'll stick with "her" going forward to avoid confusion)

From a young age, Yamato idolized Kozuki Oden after witnessing his tragic death and finding his logbook, and sought to emulate him, even referring to herself as Kozuki Oden. Seeing as Kaidou's the one who ultimately killed Oden, this drove a rift between the two of them, and Kaidou treated his own child like a prisoner from that point forward. Starving, Yamato found the Inu Inu Fruit: Model Okuchi-no-Makami and ate it, not realizing what it was. This gave her the ability to transform into a divine white wolf that's seen as a guardian deity of Wano.

To say that Yamato has taken the fandom by storm is an understatement - she ranked 11th in a global popularity poll before even appearing in the anime, and many speculate that she's going to be the next (and possibly last) member of the Straw Hat Pirates. Even if that doesn't wind up happening, Yamato still seems like a character who's going to play a major role going forward, given her connection with Ace and the power that she possesses. (she's one of the few characters who can use Conqueror's Haki - admittedly, there are about twenty characters who can do that, so it's not as rare as it could be, but it's generally a sign that a character's going to be important, since it's reserved for major protagonists, major villains, and important historical figures)

If this isn't allowed or goes against the spirit of this, I can change my nomination; I just thought that a more recent One Piece character couldn't hurt.

Capcom

It might be lazy of me, but I'm going to nominate Amaterasu again. Try as I might, I can't think of anyone else from a more modern Capcom title that I'd rather see. (Okami came out in 2006, so I believe it qualifies)
All Things Considered Yamato uses he/him pronouns.

Getting official confirmation from Oda would be great but I doubt it at this point.

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Shonen Jump:
Iori Katanagi (Phantom Seer; August 2020- April 2021)
Abilities: Shaman Powers
1633990509432.png

Iori Katanagi is the young Shaman and protagonist of Phantom Seer, which revolves around Iori who's an unmotivated Shaman that learns to open up to people more, all while chasing down a long lost foe.

You may be wondering why even include him, and I think a good reason to is because it was a great series and the fighter would be cool. I have no other points, he admittedly doesn't have much going for him. Best I can come up with for him in particular is that the Shonen Side in general might be dominated by old school characters, so if we want a curveball to the roster from recent times Iori would be great for this.

For fighting, Iori would be able use Shadow Projections for long and close range fighting, mainly summoning Okubi and Ongyoki for long range and being able to use Dark Sword of Dread for short range.

CAPCOM
Herlock Sholmes (The Great Ace Attorney)
Abilities: Great Deductions
1634005686091.png

Herlock Sholmes is the legendary detective known for quick fire observations and THE GREAT DEDUCTIONS.

Reason to include him is because he'd be fun, we don't have many of those "just for the heck of it" fighters on the Capcom side so why not add one of Capcom's most loved recent Ace Attorney characters; Ace Attorney is definitely a big enough series to warrant two fighters after all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom