• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Oof, nottt a great article. Or particularly accurate, even. There's this weird reoccurring belief that Snake has never been on Nintendo:
"Adding the Konami-created character, who had never appeared on a non-PlayStation device before brawl, was a huge get for Nintendo"
His very first game was on the NES. I played Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on Gamecube. Anyway, just strange that people think that they can't experience Solid Snake.

In Smash, he was one of the more unique characters playstyle-wise. Fix up a few glitches (I was knocked out of a tourney by a Snake player that was just sliding around everywhere... the butt) and send him back in the field.

With Old Snake and Naked Snake as alternate costumes!
... ForThoseWhoDon'tKnow,NakedSnakeIsAnotherCharacter,NotJustSnakeWithoutClothes.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Oof, nottt a great article. Or particularly accurate, even. There's this weird reoccurring belief that Snake has never been on Nintendo:
"Adding the Konami-created character, who had never appeared on a non-PlayStation device before brawl, was a huge get for Nintendo"
His very first game was on the NES. I played Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on Gamecube. Anyway, just strange that people think that they can't experience Solid Snake.
Technically his first game was on the MSX, then ported to the NES...though calling the NES version a port is pretty generous. Other than that and Twin Snakes, there was also the non-canon Snake's Revenge(NES) and the non-canon Metal Gear: Ghost Babel(GBC). It really surprises me that there are still people who think he hasn't been on a Nintendo system.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Do you guys think that if snake returns he'll be voiced by his new VA?
Only if it's Naked Snake/Big Boss. IMO I believe that Hayter will continue to voice Solid Snake. In fact, that's why I think they're changing Big Boss's VA.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Technically his first game was on the MSX, then ported to the NES...though calling the NES version a port is pretty generous. Other than that and Twin Snakes, there was also the non-canon Snake's Revenge(NES) and the non-canon Metal Gear: Ghost Babel(GBC). It really surprises me that there are still people who think he hasn't been on a Nintendo system.
Dont forget MGS3D that came out last year. But yeah like many of you guys have said that article was horrid and factually wrong in a dozen ways, the thing is that snake is on equal ground with sonic right now and they either both return or both go. I for one hope snake returns, but this time as big boss/naked snake, or at least with a costume that makes that possible.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
MGS5 with Snake. He's "relevant" again guiz!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That was but a jab against those who think it does. lol Srsly though, that western-style MGS5 looks pretty sweet, like when Snake was hiding on the side of a horse as it was riding by.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
That was but a jab against those who think it does. lol Srsly though, that western-style MGS5 looks pretty sweet, like when Snake was hiding on the side of a horse as it was riding by.
Yeah it looked really awesome, that whole trailer was impressive as hell. Although id be lying if i said i wasnt worried a bit about snakes chances to return, but heres hoping we learn what his fate is tomorrow.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
MGS5 looks pretty good. I don't like how focused they are on realism, but there's no denying how impressive that trailer was.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I hope that all the Nintendo 3DS nonsense about making the roster smaller for the Wii U has nothing to do with Snake being possibly omitted from Smash 4. Or if All-Stars 'takes him away from us'. If they do, screw All-Stars. I want Snake back, damn it <.<

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

Remove this bull**** and make his weight 7/10 instead of 9/10, and he's ready to go.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
I have a feeling Snake wasn't put in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale for a reason...

AND THAT REASON IS SMASH!

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace

Remove this bull**** and make his weight 7/10 instead of 9/10, and he's ready to go.
That kick looks so impossible.

And I hope Sakurai reconsiders on his controversial violence policy and give Snake his knife. It would have gave him more power and range.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
That kick looks so impossible.

And I hope Sakurai reconsiders on his controversial violence policy and give Snake his knife. It would have gave him more power and range.
In my big boss thread i suggested they give him his stun rod from peace walker. Its the next best thing id say, since hed get some new cqc moves and potential in the process.

That all depends on if they give him the naked snake makeover im hoping for. But ill just be glad if he comes back period

volbound1700

Smash Master
I have been critical of Snake in posts in other thread but I do want him to come back as I want no cuts. However, if a few characters are expendable to me, Snake would be one. To be honest, I would prefer Simon Belmont to take Snake's place for Konami.

Gormanbros

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0817-3869-4592
I think Snake will be back. The interesting thing will be to see how he meshes graphically with the brighter Smash 4.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Hopefully he'll make it back, he was by far one of the most fun characters to play for me!

The nerf will be invertible, but I'm all for it!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Just wondering.....but does anyone else feel like they'll use Punished Snake Big Boss instead of Solid? Seeing as he's being used more recently. (Snake Eater 3D and MGS V)

Also.........

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
I don't think Snake will return. I don't think Nintendo as a company has much of a reason to promote his character. That said, I personally want no cuts and I hate to say that for any Snake fans.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I don't think Snake will return. I don't think Nintendo as a company has much of a reason to promote his character. That said, I personally want no cuts and I hate to say that for any Snake fans.
The same could be said for any third party character, i mean nintendo really isnt promoting any megaman games they are getting are they? It all depends on what sakurai wants to do with third parties as guests. And more importantly he will probably only want the best of the best, and snake has that down easily among the big names in gaming.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, Nintendo doesn't have much reason to promote Megaman either. He still made it in. Not a good reason to cut Snake.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Just wondering.....but does anyone else feel like they'll use Punished Snake Big Boss instead of Solid? Seeing as he's being used more recently. (Snake Eater 3D and MGS V)
Considering Brawl Snake was pretty much a hybrid of Naked Snake with MGS2's outfit, I agree completely.
Plus I've never known Kojima to turn down (not so)free advertising. Old Snake would seem outdated at this point.

Also.........
NACHO KIND OF PEOPLE.

D

Deleted member

Doubt they'll go for Punished. Not unless MGS5 comes on Wii U.

If not a return of Brawl's design, they'd probably go for the Snake Eater 3D look.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
They had no reason to promote him in Brawl. Snake's creator wanted him in an SSB game since Melee's development (and there was just no time to put him in), and the biggest issue with 3rd parties getting the license to use the character. Since Snake's creator wants him in SSB, he will likely return.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
They had no reason to promote him in Brawl. Snake's creator wanted him in an SSB game since Melee's development (and there was just no time to put him in), and the biggest issue with 3rd parties getting the license to use the character. Since Snake's creator wants him in SSB, he will likely return.
Except that Sakurai doesn't want to clog up the roster with 3rd parties. I think he'd be more inclined to axe Snake and include a new third party character, one with more credible ties to Nintendo, or at least not the star of their current rival's killer app. Also he doesn't fit the series aesthetic or mood at all.

That said, Sakurai is on record as saying no cuts have been made yet, so I guess we'll see.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I have a feeling Snake wasn't put in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale for a reason...

AND THAT REASON IS SMASH!

I think it has more to do with PSASBR being more a promotional tool than even Smash has ever been. They went with Raiden over Snake because Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was coming out. There was a new Sly game coming soon, they went with Dante's new design, there's a BioShock Infinite stage. I doubt it had much to do with Snake's role in Smash. If Sony really wanted him in the game, I can't imagine it would have been difficult to get him.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Keeping Snake/Sonic isn't "clogging up the game with 3rd parties" by any means. He most likely made (the general) statement to quell all the rabid fanboys swamping him with requests. If Snake is indeed removed, it will most likely be from either A) Konami not wanting to involve themselves for the project/Nintendo not wanting Snake's services anymore (or can't afford him) or 2) time constraints not allowing him to be finished in time, as I'm sure Sakurai is stressing enough as is about who is important enough to keep vs who would be "a neat last minute addition" ala Melee/Brawl's "forbidden 7."

Also GoldenYuiitusin, it's more about the name than it is about appearance. Big Boss/Naked/Punished Snake over Solid/Old Snake makes sense.
All they really have to do is keep the Snake moniker to identify the essentially composite character.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS Will Not Include Solid Snake so So Long, Solid Snake Hello, Pac-Man! (maybe).:ohwell:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS Will Not Include Solid Snake so So Long, Solid Snake Hello, Pac-Man! (maybe).:ohwell:

-----
I dont know if wed get punished snake, but i think peace walker snake would be a good fit. And since he still has hayters voice they wouldnt have to record new voicework for the in game attacks.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i could care less if snake made it back.
hes a third party character, and is easily replaced with a first party character. or pacman!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Goodbye Snake. Although your character did free up design space. Projectile and traps as smashes and a unique down throw. At least allowing A moves to be as creative as specials will continue in your absence.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Difference between Snake and Megaman is that the latter has more relevancy to Nintendo's history and consoles than Snake.

Snake was a very special case for Brawl. I have nothing against the character or MGS, but honestly, I think there were other far more deserving characters than Snake from the third-party side. Pacman, Bomberman and even Simon Belmont comes to mind. A Castlevania rep would be excellent to have in Smash 4 coming from Konami. And it's clear that Kojima has no interest in developing for Nintendo consoles besides sloppy seconds of past MGS titles.

And if Konami isn't doing anything with Bomberman- bring him into Smash 4 then. I miss White Bomber and I'm sure Wario wants to settle the score with Bomberman after Wario Blast on GB :3

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Difference between Snake and Megaman is that the latter has more relevancy to Nintendo's history and consoles than Snake
Since when was that a prerequisite for a third party to get in though? It wasnt, and for all we know sakurai might just bring in third parties that have the biggest clout among gaming series and history. Snake, sonic, and megaman all have that going for them, its not about who has the biggest allegiance and pays their dues and nor should it be if they are fun to play as and are important to gaming.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Agreed, and people saying their early/premature goodbyes to Snake is getting old, really.

Top Bottom