• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
XBox hasn't been selling all that well, especially in foreign markets. Microsoft's latest strategy has been less focused on XBox sales but rather selling subscription services via game-pass. The X-Box brand as a whole has kinda moved past consoles and is somewhat shifting to PC given that XBox exclusives end up on the Microsoft store the same day under the XBox name. They're not going full 3rd party but consoles aren't the main priority of XBox. It'll still have a niche as a cheaper alternative to Playstation.
Never thought that’d happen tbh

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 384286

If I had a nickel for every time prolific pocket monster hater Snakefighter64 wrangled the thread into discussing Pokemon today, I’d have two nickels.

Which isn’t a lot-you know the rest :217:
It's funny because both discussions have been for lore related arguments and the games straight up explain it.

Like... just play the games.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I would say "the announcement could be tomorrow", but then I realized 3 of the past February Directs were all announced Tuesday, streamed Wednesday.

So uh...next week it is!
It’s possible but would definitely be surprising. Makes more sense for next week given everything we’ve heard, plus Super Bowl ads will be gone and they can take over the marketing online a bit.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Anyone want some Scarlet and Violet?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

I got a hunch that our next wave of Smash spirits is this week.
Called it!

Shroob

Sup?
I got a hunch that our next wave of Smash spirits is this week.

Ironic.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Por fin los Pokémon españoles están en Smash.

Esto me agrada jajaja :4wario2:

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
And now, because I'm bored, here's my predictions for the S/V spirits.

:ultivysaur::ultkrool::ultfalco:
. Ivysaur is tiny and wields Lips' Stick.
. K Rool is tiny, in his red alt, and has eaten super-spicy curry.
. Falco is tiny, in his light blue alt, and likes to taunt.
:ultridley:
. Two Ridleys, one in his red alt and one in the purple Meta Ridley alt.
. The opponents grow powerful upon eating.
. The only food that spawns is the sandwich.
:ultyounglink::ultbowser:

. Young Link wields the Ore Club. Damage to Smash attacks is increased.
. Bowser is in his blue alt, the Super Star power-up will randomly activate.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm not saying it's not cannon. I'm just saying the world building being done by the developers at... persues knowledge Dena Co. LTD isn't necessarily reflective of what Game Freak wants to do when it tells it's stories. And if we have to wait for a spinoff to have the story be clarified/told straight... then I think that's at least a criticism of how the mainline games and their developers handle story and world building.
Technically, it all is alternate timelines. Like the remakes, 3rd versions, and reimagining's all take place in separate, but very similar timelines, and that's been the case for a while. The modern games played up to it, which gave reasonings as to why the remake and 3rd version games are different than the mainline dual versions. And really, the best, and really only, way to put it is that they're all just alternate timelines/dimensions, they just fleshed it out starting with Gen 7. When it comes to referencing back, they tend to use the 3rd versions as the definitive one.

Like some examples on this:

Emerald is the game that SuMo used when bringing back Anabel. Since Emerald never got a remake, the Battle Frontier wasn't a thing, and thus Anabel was missing, they had to give an explanation on how she came back, especially since it follows ORAS's timeline.

Platinum is the game Legends used when it came to being a prequel. All the Sinnoh backstory correlates to Platinum exclusive story.
But like... why though? Is it that hard to have the versions be different from each other but still be set in the same universe and be cannon to one another? Like maybe a little but I don't think so. Especially since it feels like these things are not happening on accident by way of laziness but are rather a purposeful decision to do the stories this way. Like... they don't have to do it this way, they just want to. And I kind of wish they didn't want to because I feel it would be way more satisfying to follow a series if everything connected up and built together. ESPECIALLY since they don't do third "definitive" versions anymore so we can't just ignore the paired releases and only follow the story of those because they don't exist anymore.

It doesn't have to be this way. Nothing about Pokemon has to be the way that it is. They've chosen to make it this way and I think they've been bad decision makers.

Side-note, does your username have anything to do with the Nickelodeon show "The Mighty B!"?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 384286

If I had a nickel for every time prolific pocket monster hater Snakefighter64 wrangled the thread into discussing Pokemon today, I’d have two nickels.

Which isn’t a lot-you know the rest :217:
I don’t hate Pokemon! … as a concept… like I like the monsters (most of them) and I like the idea of collecting a team of friends and battling enemies together as we go on an anime friendship journey. It’s just the games haven’t been… great lately and my opinions on why are different than the usual reasons other people have which I could repeat in a sarcastic and mocking way but I’m not going to.

Damn it. I missed the last spirit event because of effective dysfunction! I hope they get added to the general pool eventually and they don’t forget because the game is so far past prime.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Started playing a Sonic game on my Xbox.

How many loading screens are there because after a gorgeous cutscene there were a ton... before getting to Level 1.

And even in Level 1 there was one mid level.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Dang it it’s executive dysfunction. I always get the first word of the condition wrong. And it’s a real thing people with ADHD go through. Makes it so that we have a hard time getting ourselves to do things, even things we actually want to do.
You've never seen him mention it before? lol
I haven’t no. At least I don’t think.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
But like... why though? Is it that hard to have the versions be different from each other but still be set in the same universe and be cannon to one another? Like maybe a little but I don't think so. Especially since it feels like these things are not happening on accident by way of laziness but are rather a purposeful decision to do the stories this way. Like... they don't have to do it this way, they just want to. And I kind of wish they didn't want to because I feel it would be way more satisfying to follow a series if everything connected up and built together. ESPECIALLY since they don't do third "definitive" versions anymore so we can't just ignore the paired releases and only follow the story of those because they don't exist anymore.

It doesn't have to be this way. Nothing about Pokemon has to be the way that it is. They've chosen to make it this way and I think they've been bad decision makers.
Because the story and world differences are more than enough to make the versions be their own seperate canons. I'm not a fan of the dual versions but they have to give people incentive to pick a version, which means unique characters, story elements and world building. Which means they can't coincide with one another. The 3rd version was a means of bringing both elements together, but they haven't done a 3rd version since Platinum because turns out 3rd versions are scams and a half and they also don't sell as well.

Side-note, does your username have anything to do with the Nickelodeon show "The Mighty B!"?
Yes

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Because the story and world differences are more than enough to make the versions be their own seperate canons. I'm not a fan of the dual versions but they have to give people incentive to pick a version, which means unique characters, story elements and world building. Which means they can't coincide with one another. The 3rd version was a means of bringing both elements together, but they haven't done a 3rd version since Platinum because turns out 3rd versions are scams and a half and they also don't sell as well.

Yes
They’re not a scam if you skipped the first version and waited to buy the re-release. But I guess not enough people were doing that.

Noipoi

Howdy!
They’re not a scam if you skipped the first version and waited to buy the re-release. But I guess not enough people were doing that.
The amount of people who do that are most likely in the minority though. Most people buy one of the initial versions when they first come out and are content with that, seeing the third version as just the same game.

Which they pretty much are :drshrug:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The amount of people who do that are most likely in the minority though. Most people buy one of the initial versions when they first come out and are content with that, seeing the third version as just the same game.

Which they pretty much are :drshrug:
Exactly. It’s the same game with everything from the initial two release included and no version exclusive content because it’s the only version of itself. I’d happily wait till the third version came and only play that and skip this whole “two versions, two stories, two timelines, two overworld, trading bs”.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Imagine buying a hyped up, well functioning game only for it to be obsolete the next year because they're rereleasing the same game except this one has the missing lore and Pokemon that should have been in the version you just bought. And also they dropped support for the og version, if you want the mythicals you have to buy the 3rd version or suck it. Congrats on supporting us and being an early adopter,

Oh also, if you want all that then it's a full price upgrade for the game you just bought.

If that doesn't sound like you got scammed, then man do I have a bridge to sell you.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Imagine buying a hyped up, well functioning game only for it to be obsolete the next year because they're rereleasing the same game except this one has the missing lore and Pokemon that should have been in the version you just bought. And also they dropped support for the og version, if you want the mythicals you have to buy the 3rd version or suck it. Congrats on supporting us and being an early adopter,

Oh also, if you want all that then it's a full price upgrade for the game you just bought.

If that doesn't sound like you got scammed, then man do I have a bridge to sell you.
You got scammed. But I knew they were gonna do this ahead of time so I didn’t waste my time or money with the first version.

Honestly they should stop with the dual releases in the first place and just make the “definitive edition” to start out with. But they’re never gonna do that so I’d rather have it than not have it. But I currently don’t have it cause it’s not profitable enough. So… thanks for that I guess.

Side note, you’ed think there’re be a fangame or rom hack creating a “Pokémon Gray” experience but I can’t find any. Lame. You’ed think the fans would have come through.

Top Bottom