• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah. Glitch. Even though it posted last night it still stayed in my post box.

Also come on. It’s a well known fact that Miyamoto hates story in games. Especially in Mario. No historical revisionism can change that.
Hate is a strong word.

Miyamoto is from a time where story in games was unnecessary. And he made a name for himself by focusing on fun gameplay experiences. Resulting in some of the most legendary franchises in gaming history.

Now like anyone he can be set in his ways, he probably carried this gameplay-only thought process into the modern era and it definitely had an impact on certain games. But that doesn’t mean he hates any and all stories. Why would he allow the Zelda games to have narratives if he did? Rosalina’s Story book wasn’t some covert act of protest from the Galaxy developers, Miyamoto thought it was charming! He was probably just wondering if it was truly necessary, because that’s how he was raised.

I’m not trying to be Miyamoto’s greatest defender here, he’s got some design philosophies I don’t always agree with. But I’m tired of seeing people act like he just hate hate HATES stories, and he’s the sole force responsible for keeping Mario from having the incredibly intriguing plots it’d otherwise have. Those people are idiots.

Are you an idiot, Snake?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
What’s the last game Miyamoto actually made? He’s already ascended into the Nintendo multimedia guy, making themes parks and movies for his beloved properties.
And yet I betcha they still run Mario descisions past him and he still has to approve stuff before they can do it. That’s how Nintendo do.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hate is a strong word.

Miyamoto is from a time where story in games was unnecessary. And he made a name for himself by focusing on fun gameplay experiences. Resulting in some of the most legendary franchises in gaming history.

Now like anyone he can be set in his ways, he probably carried this gameplay-only thought process into the modern era and it definitely had an impact on certain games. But that doesn’t mean he hates any and all stories. Why would he allow the Zelda games to have narratives if he did? Rosalina’s Story book wasn’t some covert act of protest from the Galaxy developers, Miyamoto thought it was charming! He was probably just wondering if it was truly necessary, because that’s how he was raised.

I’m not trying to be Miyamoto’s greatest defender here, he’s got some design philosophies I don’t always agree with. But I’m tired of seeing people act like he just hate hate HATES stories, and he’s the sole force responsible for keeping Mario from having the incredibly intriguing plots it’d otherwise have. Those people are idiots.

Are you an idiot, Snake?
Ok but he personally took Sticker Star and forced it to be mid, please ignore how IntSys had near total freedom and Miyamoto told the devs their game sucked to their faces prerelease, I need a boogeyman

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Hate is a strong word.

Are you an idiot, Snake?
Like I said last night, it’s hard to shake something you’ve believed for many decades. And the narrative we were told was that they had to sneak in Rosalina’s story in Galaxy and that he triumphantly punched the air while saying “I put a stop to that this time” while talking about Galaxy 2. Not to mention we were also told they had to sneak stuff into Link’s Awakening under his nose too.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Like I said last night, it’s hard to shake something you’ve believed for many decades. And the narrative we were told was that they had to sneak in Rosalina’s story in Galaxy and that he triumphantly punched the air while saying “I put a stop to that this time” while talking about Galaxy 2. Not to mention we were also told they had to sneak stuff into Link’s Awakening under his nose too.
Well like I said, he’s probably set in his ways and I don’t agree with everything he thinks about game design. I’m sure there were a few times where some developers had to put stuff in a game he might’ve suggested against.

I’m just tired of people trying to paint him as some nefarious villain who hates narratives and wants your favorite games to suffer. It’s very childish.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well like I said, he’s probably set in his ways and I don’t agree with everything he thinks about game design. I’m sure there were a few times where some developers had to put stuff in a game he might’ve suggested against.

I’m just tired of people trying to paint him as some nefarious villain who hates narratives and wants your favorite games to suffer. It’s very childish.
You know, I don’t paint him as a villain, but I do think he should retire. Still, something tells me he is afraid to retire due to what might happen to the game series he created.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
He’ll retire when he’s ready. Right now he’s having fun making funny plumber movies and theme parks.
That makes sense, especially the movie and theme park thing.

Listen, you made great points about him, but has Miyamoto always been picky about how things should be done, if picky is the right word? Not that I am complaining, though.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah probably. He’s got a strong design philosophy that he most likely wanted to stick to whenever he made a game.
Well, at least he hasn’t had a big role in making games lately, it seems. No disrespect to the man, of course.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The whole Miyamote thing is funny because it stemmed from a piss poor narrative a decade ago when he hasn't directed a game since Mario 64. The only PM game he had a huge hand in was PM64 where he was the producer.

Here's a fun fact: he wasn't involved at all with the NSMB series that every blames for sterilizing the series. He was there the much more distict and memorable 3D games though.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The whole Miyamote thing is funny because it stemmed from a piss poor narrative a decade ago when he hasn't directed a game since Mario 64. The only PM game he had a huge hand in was PM64 where he was the producer.

Here's a fun fact: he wasn't involved at all with the NSMB series that every blames for sterilizing the series. He was there the much more distict and memorable 3D games though.
What about Miyamoto’s whole “upending the tea table” thing that happened in Metroid Prime, DKCR, and Twilight Princess?” Clearly they still run decisions past him even if he’s not in the directors chair.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What about Miyamoto’s whole “upending the tea table” thing that happened in Metroid Prime, DKCR, and Twilight Princess?” Clearly they still run decisions past him even if he’s not in the directors chair.
I am thinking you are worrying too much, Snake.

I mean, he still apparently did not have big roles in those game.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I can't speak on TP or Prime, but I know in Returns they were showing him some of the stuff they were working on. He was liking what he saw, and then (for whatever reason) he thought it'd be fun if DK could blow on stuff to find secrets.

Seeing as how he's one of the most respected and accomplished men in the industry, Retro probably just went like this:
sipatronacover.jpg

I don't think he forced anyone to do anything they didn't want to.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Love how a part of this episode is giving throwback to the old Konami X-Men arcade game plus some hints of Marvel Vs Capcom too.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Koizumi needing to sneak Rosalina's story in is a conflation of different stories. Koizumi worked on developing the story late at night but had no issue including it after presenting it to Miyamoto. This has been combined by people with weird Miyamoto hate boners with other stories of Koizumi talking about him sneaking things into Nintendo games.

For reference: The original story about him presenting the story to Miyamoto comes from an issue of Nintendo Power.

Koizumi sneaking other things into games:
I think part of the confusion comes from this interview, also from Wired, that kind of makes it sound like there was more pushback against the storybook than there really was.
WIRED https://www.wired.com › 2009/06 Miyamoto: Why I Spiked Mario Galaxy 2's Story
Still, Koizumi feeling the need to keep it to himself until it was totally finished so it couldn't be shot down as easily says a lot about the way the series was headed.

Like Noipoi said, it wasn't really a Miyamoto issue as much as it was the Wii's success encouraging Nintendo to want to keep Mario's identity more rigid in order to maintain said success.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
What did he do in Twilight Princess? He straight up caved to the demand for a realistic Zelda game, TP would not exist without him, and without him and Aonuma, the Wii version would have been dogass.

Prime he had a heavier hand in, and that was him having Retro scrap the third person concept and make it a first person game instead. It worked out.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The Fortnite x Avatar the Last Airbender event starts April 12.

Korra is out now and can be fully gotten in a hour and a half.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
What did he do in Twilight Princess? He straight up caved to the demand for a realistic Zelda game, TP would not exist without him, and without him and Aonuma, the Wii version would have been dogass.

Prime he had a heavier hand in, and that was him having Retro scrap the third person concept and make it a first person game instead. It worked out.
He made the tutorial last longer I think. IDK, Did You Know Gaming talks about his mentality of "upending the tea table" and just changing **** that requires a lot of work in the 11th hour because of his flights of fancy.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Reading this reminds me of the mixed reception (or, well, at least somewhat mixed because a lot of mainline fans didn't like the artstyle at the time) Wind Waker got since it led to many of the demands for a more realistic Zelda game in the first place.

I'm immensely grateful that Wind Waker is looked on much more fondly and gets much more praise nowadays, but I guess I can't complain about it's earlier reception from fans too much since Twilight Princess is also among the best games in the series.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Reading this reminds me of the mixed reception (or, well, at least somewhat mixed because a lot of mainline fans didn't like the artstyle at the time) Wind Waker got since it led to many of the demands for a more realistic Zelda game in the first place.

I'm immensely grateful that Wind Waker is looked on much more fondly and gets much more praise nowadays, but I guess I can't complain about it's earlier reception from fans too much since Twilight Princess is also among the best games in the series.
Wind Waker came around during the peak of the edgy era and fans wanted dark and edgy games. Unfortunate circumstance, but it got a fair shake later on and is considered one of the best games ever made nowadays. The HD version is still the best looking Nintendo game bar none, if Nintendo was based they'd make a Zelda movie that looks like that instead of live action slop by Avi Arad.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Wind Waker came around during the peak of the edgy era and fans wanted dark and edgy games. Unfortunate circumstance, but it got a fair shake later on and is considered one of the best games ever made nowadays. The HD version is still the best looking Nintendo game bar none, if Nintendo was based they'd make a Zelda movie that looks like that instead of live action slop by Avi Arad.
Oh, I'm down for a live-action movie since Twilight Princess and BotW/TotK captured the realistic style fairly well (even if the latter two games also use a degree of cel-shading), but I'd be even more hyped for animated one based on or using Wind Waker's style.

If they ever go that route, I just hope they don't use Illumination again since while they have made a handful of good movies, most of them that don't have the words "Despicable Me" in the title are shallow and I don't trust them to be able to capture the depths of the game's characters and story because of that.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
These Disney remakes are gonna be the death of me
Disney legit fell off. Sad to see.

Or maybe I'm getting to old for the Disney Magic.
I think you accidentally shared an screenshot from a National Geographic documentary by accident.
20240403_144252.jpg

Nah this is a PS4 game.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Yeah. With one exception I haven’t really liked any of their movies for the last eight or so years.

But every once in a while that studio gets in a slump. Hoping they’ll turn things back around eventually.
Tbh, you can pinpoint their downfall as a studio the moment the Disney Adults™️ started rising up and became prominent.

So now the strategy is to pander to them so we get these remakes that tickle the nostalgia of 90s kids, but in live action so they can be "mature" enough for them. And it's yielded some good, and a whole lot of bad and boring.

And it doesn't matter cause they eat that up.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah. With one exception I haven’t really liked any of their movies for the last eight or so years.

But every once in a while that studio gets in a slump. Hoping they’ll turn things back around eventually.
Tbh, you can pinpoint their downfall as a studio the moment the Disney Adults™️ started rising up and became prominent.

So now the strategy is to pander to them so we get these remakes that tickle the nostalgia of 90s kids, but in live action so they can be "mature" enough for them. And it's yielded some good, and a whole lot of bad and boring.

And it doesn't matter cause they eat that up.
It's sad that Encanto actually feels like the odd one out among Disney's modern animated films (mostly everything that's released after Moana).

Wish might be the last straw for a good chunk of Disney's fanbase and even just general movie-goers with how negative it's reception has been, though.

Top Bottom