• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Archives: Dedede Video and Critique Thread

GRI3VER

Smash Cadet
MM: Griever :dedede: vs. GoldenIke :rob:

Bo11

I know that the Set is long, but I wanted to learn this MU, so I ask him to play a Bo11 with me.
Can you please watch 1 or 2 Matches and Help me with my failures.

allshort17

Smash Ace
Ok, so I got some vids of myself doing friendlies at a local tourney (Impact!). John12346, DaBuzz, and NinjaLink were there. Could someone please critique those vids? I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeOfE-a4uRA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdxeAot7EiE

[collapse="First video"]0:18-Double waddle dee is a risky idea considering he was approaching. He could have easily fair'ed it away or airdodged through it and got a easy grab to fsmash.

0:20-That was a free grab, but you bair'd instead. I don't understand why you did that, but you have to grab in order to create fear of our CG. Also, it would have put him offstage.

0:21-I saw you start the inhale. But, I really wasn't a good choice. Inhale only really beats shield, spotdodge, or airdodge. However, ask yourself why would he dodge when you jumped facing forward? You can't do much except dair or fair. Also, inhale doesn't beat an of his moves when you are above him.

0:25-I saw you jump and go for another bair. But why? He's faster than you so what he does will win. You could have fastfalled after the first bair in order to bait a reaction or a OOS punish from him.

0:41-That was actually REALLY smart considering it takes a while to get out of the water. I have to use that and nice job keeping him offstage.

0:46-Eww, you used so many jumps to get over him. He's in a better position when he's below you. So, being above him so long isn't good. Imagine if you got hit. You would have only had one jump and you don't have the air mobility to escape, so he would have got you to panic into airdodging or randomly attack and could have punished big. You could have full hop then fastfalled to get him in the air since you knew he was going to jump. Now, he would have been above you and then when his invincibility wore off you would have had a great opportunity to bait him into doing a bad landing and gotten a grab.

0:48-Don't dair into the ground. Especial at his low percent, even if it hits he could still punish the ending lag of your dair.

1:03-No need to challenge him offstage. His UpB will always win.

1:05-Missed a great punish. The Uair was too committal for the situation. A full hop fastfall'd fair would have sufficed if you were unsure if he was going to land on the top platform or come down. If you wanted to get a grab, you could have empty short hopped to scare him into thinking you were going up to aerial him. Then, punish his landing with a grab.

1:07-Another inhale above him. It won't work...

1:10-Another dair into the ground. :urg:

1:33-Nice Nair to Uair. See, you can do that into the ground instead of dair (but not a lot.)

1:37-Over committed to a chase again. Read the 1:05 post.

2:06-Missing a grab is bad because you lose a lot of fear then if they think you can't do it.

2:11-Close range waddle dees are easy to punish. A ftilt would have done the same job and been safer.

2:14-I just realized now that shield after a ledge get-up is bad because if he hits you, you're knocked off the stage onto the ledge and put in the same position.

2:16-Another missed UpB punish. And even worse, because you did a drop down bair so you lost the ability to pressure his ledge get-up. At least if you are going to bair, do it above stage so you're in a advantageous position.

2:24-See how he used 2 UpB's? He doing more because he feels you won't punish the ending lag. That's why you NEED to punish it.

2:31-I saw the fear because you stood there then roll back. You were throw off your game because of the last kill, weren't you? If so, then don't be. Just play like normal. A few seconds later I saw all the shielding and spotdodges you did. Now, I really think you were scared. Do a bair or pivot grab instead of shielding or spotdodging sometimes. If it hit, then all his momentum is stopped then it's a neutral position for both of you.

2:45-I hate grabbing waddle dees when I don't want to also. But, it shows you were only thinking about hitting him and stopped thinking about the surroundings.

2:52-Even though some of those moves hit, I think you're getting a little desperate to get a hit. I don't know why. You were at about at equal percents. Are you scared that now it's close you are going to lose? First, it's a friendly so there's nothing on the line. Second, don't let you emotions control your gameplay. Be collected and think smart. However, it did work because you had been playing pretty safe and he wasn't expecting that.

2:54-You tried to bait, but fastfall airdodging would have covered all his options at that moment and you could have actually gotten then punish.

2:56-NOOOOO! Why did you run offstage? You had it. Most people recover high anyway, so going low wasn't even a good choice. Also, I already said Marth will win offstage. So, just sit on stage and pressure him into making a mistake when recovering.

You have a decent Dedede. I feel like we are equal. You're alright on capitalizing on mistakes, but you have to not over commit on things and punish with more grabs to establish fear. Learn the best options in situations because you often did things that could have easily been better (like the end.) Lastly, don't let momentum affect you. You first were scared, then got desperate to get hits in. Just play smart and look for openings when it's crunch time.[/collapse]

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Great critique dude!

I should devote some time into doing these, but my Dedede kinda sucks anyway so it's not worth it. lol

allshort17

Smash Ace
Great critique dude!

I should devote some time into doing these, but my Dedede kinda sucks anyway so it's not worth it. lol
Thanks. I actually do this because if I see others mistakes, then I'll be able to see if I'm making the same. I'll be glad to do a critique of that quality for anyone who wants one. Just don't overload me.

And my Dedede sucks too. But, I know why. It's because I have a tough time processing information at a high speed effectively. So, I often make decision mistakes and repeat habits because I'm thinking of too much. If I learn to separate important vs extraneous information fast then I believe I will be great. However, I'm really good at thinking effective over a long period of time. That's why if I play people for a long period of time, they all say I adapt very well. I'm also happy that I can use this ability to analyze videos well. So, if your like me Aerodrome them you should still critique no matter how bad your Dedede is. lol.

allshort17

Smash Ace
Sorry for the double post, but I got bored and wanted to do the second video.

[collapse="Second video"]0:13-Why did you shield at the beginning? There's nothing he can do at all to harm you. Also, because you reacted to him not moving and jump, you gave away some of your playstyle. So, he'll be looking for a jump next time he puts you in a panic situation. Also, you needlessly deteriorated your shield. It's important to keep a health size shield, especially with Marth because he can use shield breaker to break it, dtilt to poke under, or fair to poke the top.

0:15-Again with the close waddle dee toss. Ftilt. After that, you started playing really scared. Rolling for no reason and wasting shield. If you know he's chasing you because you were playing scared, attack to catch him off guard.

0:17-You did it again(jumped oos), so he chased you and made you scared.

0:25-That's what I am talking about. See, attacking worked. I believe you could have also gotten a utilt off of the punish to add on some damage.

0:30-In the game of chicken you lost. You know why? It's because you rolled away. There are plenty of things wrong with that. First, he was on the edge so you know he is going to try to get off. Rolling away just gives him a free opportunity to gain some stage control. Second, you were out of his grab range thus shielding would have been more than enough defensive option that would have allowed you to keep the stage control pressure on him and allow would have allowed you to get a shield grab if he approached badly.

0:33-I like the bair to punish his cross up. I discourages him to do them and gives you one less option to think about when he stops.

0:35-I don't like the needless spotdodge. It's just extraneous. It also shows you're not comfortable with your shielding abilities. Shield with the confidence that it will block the attack, that way you don't do anything extra afterwards and can set-up for a punish. your uair would have worked if you didn't take the time to spotdodge. Also, do the uair as early as possible so you can autocancel it when you land on the platform above.

0:38-Utilt will always be better than Upsmash. So, unless you know why you are using it and are going for a super hard read then just use utilt.

0:40-He jumped, so there was no reason to shield. He can't do anything. After you do a move, look for a reaction and then counter it, not just doing something instantly.

0:43-Good gimp. That's really the only time you should go offstage against Marth.

0:50-You did a dair into the ground. But, like I said above even on hit he can still punish the lag, which he did.

0:53-You're in a bad position because you have no jumps. Learn to conserve jumps. Don't use them to get back to the stage, but to get around any attacks that your opponent does.

1:05-If you are going for a fair, autocancel it unless you a looking to bait him with the landing lag of it. I don't think your were, but correct me if I'm wrong.

1:06-He baited you. Know that Marth will generally autocancel aerials and that you can't really punish any aerial after he's already done it except for dair.

1:14-1:27-You sat on the edge too long. After he whiffed that UpB you should have ran to the center to take stage control.

1:25-Turn around when you inhale to exhale him offstage and get stage control.

1:31-No need to wildly chase him. He's going to run from you, so just bait a bad run-away attempt and punish it. Also, when you wildly attack with invincibility I notice people often end up too close to their oppenent and that puts them into a bad situation, thus causing them to panic. That's exactly what you did.

1:38-Don't chase offstage. You got your hit, now don't be greedy. Just go back to the stage and punish how he gets up off the ledge.

1:40-You did another dair and we're prepared to do it into the ground. He beat it because if your get up off the ledge fast enough you have a little invincibility. STOP DAIRING INTO THE GROUND! lol

1:45-Utilt's not a good oos option after you get hit because the hit will pull you back to where it will whiff, like he did.

1:48-You did another dair into the ground. Even though it worked, you're just showing him a bad habit.

1:50-Don't blindly run at him and try to react. You just baited him to do something, so take action to punish that. Shield, jump, stop running, spotdodge, something just know in that situation you're in control and you have to keep control.

1:53-That could have been a grab into 2 dthrows, take advantage of situations like that.

1:58-Don't get close after Marth has already reached the ledge. He has great options to punish attacks on the ledge.

2:00-The jab is a technical error I presume? I don't know what you wanted to do, but make sure you practice some execution. Just go play a computer and practice things like tilts oos and tilts right after landing.

2:05-That's just funny to watch Dedede roll around.

2:08-Aww. You had the bait. If you feel uncomfortable about punishing the spotdodge with a grab, just inhale, dair, or dtilt.

2:11-Another missed UpB punish, you haven't gotten one yet. Just calm down when you see it and pick an option that covers a lot of the options he has. In that case, a walk into uptilt would have done the job.

2:12-Use utilt. It's faster, has a little invincibility, and high priority. Also, don't get to hasty to do a move in situations like that. He faster than you so if he falls with a move, like he did, he will win and if he jumps then he's safe. Just dash(not run) or walk out of his range in situations like that and see what he does.

2:26-Very risky hard read that paided off. Good job.

I also like your use of Nair. You use it wisely.[/collapse]

allshort17

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90PIqeatjLU
FINALLY, A VIDEO OF MY DEDEDE

This is a friendlies match between me and my buddy. Apparently, he found every replay of me on the Wii he could find and studied my playstyle so he could beat me. A lot of my play was doing things I normally don't do. Didn't really pay off in the end. Lucky dair. ._.

Anyway, critique!

[collapse="Critique"]0:03-Waddle dee is a very general way to start the match. It's not a bad choice, but you could have done something better. If he wanted to approach, then he would have gotten in and put pressure on you to react in his favor. Also, if you would have continued to jump in you would have not only probably gotten him to stop his charge, but also put pressure on him to react in your favor.

0:05-Running up and shielding so close will get you grabbed. Lucario's looking for it at the beginning of matches because he has a CG. Try thinking of baits to get him to whiff a grab, such as shielding outside his grab range.

0:06-Bad habit I have too, but don't spotdodge out of shield unless you know exactly why you are doing it. You really only need to do it to get around grab or for a frame advantage. However, Lucario is fast enough to capitalize on spotdodge so not only will you not get a frame advantage, but will get frame trapped like you did. It also shows you where unsure of you spacing against his grab.

0:07-DI out of jab. Not all the time because he could probably get a good follow-up if he reads it, but it's a good mix-up. If you don't know if he'll jab, remember that lower level Lucarios look for jabs at low percents.

0:11-Lucario loves to punish people for jumping off the ledge. You saw he whiff the first dair, so you should know he was looking for it. If you know, take action to get around it. Do a drop down uair or roll up.

0:14-I like the bair, but because he was at such a low % then I think it put you in a worse position. There wasn't enough knockback to give you a safe way onstage and made you run out of jumps.

0:20-You weren't baiting that roll, you were reacting. That is why it didn't hit. The utilt was good idea, but you have to expect the roll in order for it to work.

0:27-Lucario has a big and fast get-up attack, so watch out for it and don't be so close.

0:28-Don't shield preemptively. Your just wasting shield even if it does block an attack. If you feel he's going to do something, wait until he's in range and try to powershield.

0:28-0:35-You shielded so much. It shows you are really looking for a grab and don't know too many options to situations. Also, your shield depletes so you eventually try to stop using it. This will probably put you into a panic mode and you will find yourself in a situation that is bad. This is what you did right after this by jumping, only he didn't capitalize on it.

0:51-Don't shield right on the edge. If you get hit you're put back on the ledge.

0:59-Why did you Bthrow? Keeping him off the ledge is more important than damage when he is at high percents because you can get a gimp...unless you had a plan for what you were going to do after bthrow. Did you?

1:00-1:03-Why are you throwing waddle dees? You are in the lead, so you need bait his impatience to get in the lead and punish. Not rushing in and attack, attack, attack, but smart spacing.

1:44-If you see him charging when you far away, then walk up some to close the gap and get a better punish. Not a lot because you could get hit, just enough so that you are more likely to get your punish.

2:00-If you would have DI'ed the jab up you wouldn't have been put in a situation where you could get gimped, like what happened.

2:23- You have to pressure him to do something dumber if you see this happening. Walk up a little or jump to scare him then punish what he does. Don't just sit there and hope you can get a grab.

2:26-Nice jump to get out of the way, but then you have to punish. Fastfall inhale would have worked.

3:00-Fsmash was not a bad choice. Just do it before they do a move so they don't have time to react. You did it half way into his Usmash and he saw it.

3:08-Just stay below the ledge if someone is shooting projectile so you don't take unnecessary damage and waste jumps.

3:22-Good dair, but don't give it away by just sitting in crouch position.

3:42-3:46-Calm down. You don't need to chase when you are in the lead. He's looking for hits.

4:02-You did this earlier, but I let it slid because I thought it was a hard read. But now, I'm seeing it's a bad habit. Don't Fair onto the stage. It's a laggy move that can be punished easily.

4:10-Far away inhale is such a risky move. It's easy to react to and can be beaten by many moves. And it only really beats a running approach or short hop. But, most Lucarios won't just run in. You were lucky then or you read it. If it's the latter, good job.

Overall, it's really easy to see how you play. You rely on standing grab way too much, thus leading you to shield so you can get standing grabs. Go for pivot grabs sometimes because it's safe and longer than standing grab. Also, you tend to stand still when you want a standing grab. You're letting your opponent decide your spacing for you. Move around. It will make it less obvious. You didn't really try to bait any of his habits. You also seemed to struggle at the ledge. Be patient and learn what others will do when you are there. Other bad habits you have are spotdodging if they don't hit your shield immediately, rolling away from the ledge, not trying to gimp, and throwing waddle dees when you don't need to.[/collapse]

allshort17

Smash Ace

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I actually read all of allshort's first critique of my videos (I'm scared of huge blocks of text, but I realize it's necessary for constructive criticisim). I must say, I'm really impressed with his analysis of my game. Most of it was spot-on. I'll really have to improve my punishes and make better choices. However, I think now I have finally done work on my nerves so I don't panic so easily in endgame situations. Thanks allshort! :)

Edit: And I know you meant "Nice Nair to Utilt." :p

allshort17

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Bx...DvjVQa1PpcFMCCtq4Pqvq5I9MqziQJ0_sCIkVb8XHy94=

money match i had with ally in febuary can someone take a look at it
[collapse="Critique"]0:05- DANG! Ally is so smart. Yeah, it's pretty hard for any player to read a response like that.

0:09- Also not a bad response on your part. It's pretty smart because normally people would land with a shield. Again, this is Ally.

0:15- Got kinda greedy for another bair there. I got scared, but I'm glad you kept zoning him with aerials and stopped attack when you knew it wouldn't work.

0:17- You have to go the CG. Don't be scared just 'cause it's Ally. If you drop it, it's you fault. It's shows your lack of confidence with the CG. Go practice it a lot to build some.

0:23- You did this before and it worked. That's how you got the CG. But, the same trick won't work twice. He adapted to you bait that you did (doing an aerial to get him to airdodge). Inhale or a charge Dsmash could have worked. You have to think crazy.

0:25- Why did you jump so early? You saw the mortar. If you waited just a little longer the jump invincibility would have let you go through the mortar.

0:29- Getting scared I see by the wild shielding and spotdodge. Just calm down.

0:31- Either fear or good restraint not to go for a grab after he whiffed the bair. No matter, it was good because I don't believe you could have got a grab.

0:34- Great bait

0:39- Smart to use the waddle Dee toss to make him believe he could land close, then using ftilt.

0:40- I don't agree with the fullhop bair unless it was a bait. It left you very open. Why did you try to fair after it also?

0:45- That was all one big bait to get you to UpB onstage like you did. Go for the ledge.

1:02- Nice bait. I don't know why people like to spotdodge to get out of a CG. People should try to grab/jab more.

1:11-:crazy: Did he just use the dash attack to change his hurtbox and get around the grab!? Wow. Your also grabbing a little later than you should. You would have gotten both grabs if don't earlier. Doubt maybe?

1:15- Good option. He's been just walking up to you and that was a good punish.

1:20- I don't like the Waddle Dee toss so close. It's not a good move to block a grenade because it's slow. Same for close attacking. Use ftilt in situations like that.

1:22- What's up with the jabs? This is the second one. Nerves or technical error? Either way, practice technically always.

1:24- Great dair since it beats mortar and will hit a mortar slide.

1:37- Such a great set-up if that would have worked!

2:00-Scared again. Calm down. Try rolling behind them if they wait on the ground. It can bait them to do something dumb.

2:02- Aw. That would have worked if you were just a little farther back. good try.

2:45- Oh! Dair stage spikes. That's why you were doing it so much. Smart.

3:10- Missed up your bair. Did the attack to early.

3:20- That was a bait to get you to grab. It worked. He's noticing that you want grab too much. Try using other things in positions that you want a grab like ftilt and inhale.

3:49-You sealed your fate. Always do very low UpB's where it's abiguous if you are going for the stage or the ledge less you know for sure that you can get the higher UpB mix-up.

4:19-Should of tried another dsmash. You're getting greedy for a kill.

4:27-lol. He sees you want the kill, so he stopped spotdodging after a CG. Don't fish. Just go through with your Cg and see if you can get a killing bair or gimp. Even just getting more damage is better.

4:47-Again. You want that kill. Just calm down. Even if you have to go you low damaging more like inhale or ftilt, just play smart even at kill %'s.

5:17-5:45- Great string here. Even though he got some hits in, you had the momentum. Nice control and edge guarding. Just don't go offstage as much when he is offstage. If it fails you give you stage control and momentum.

5:45-So many Waddle dees. It's not a bad choice. But, you could try goign out and chasing him. You have the jumps to do it. Just don't go to low under him so you don't get spiked.

Good Dedede. You made really smart choices, but sadly it's Ally. That fact made you obviously nervous. You did things like:

*Roll away a lot
*Kill fish
*Retreating bair
*Dashed around a lot when waiting for him to come back from a kill (it shows you are anxious)
*many technical errors (make sure to practice)
*Lack of baits aside from the beginning.

which gave away your nervousness. Don't be. You have to separate the person from the match. You weren't fighting Ally, you were fighting Snake and I believe you are pretty comfortable fighting Snake, so think about it like that and you should be more settled. Also, train your nerves by playing more top players. You're in Canada, so you should be playing Holynightmare, TO Joe, Tinman, Meekspeedy, ect as much as possible so you know what higher levels of play are like. You also like to grab fish a lot, however you do it smarter than most people so you probably get away with it. Use moves like ftilt and inhale (two moves you really didn't use that are good) to mix it up. Lastly, you are at the point where you have to just play smarter in order to improve. When you play friendlies, go crazy with the options you pick so you learn more about the game. Instead of grabbing when you want, do a Fsmash and learn what people do against it. You'll learn a lot that way. And watch more of your videos so you can see with the things I named above are habits you have.[/COLLAPSE]

I encourage everyone to watch this because this is great play from Ally. Also, can someone tell me how to make those show/hide spoiler boxes so I don't have giant boxes of text all the time?

Edit: I learned how to do it! It's fun!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I am going to a Smashfest today and might record some videos of me. I feel like I might as well today. So, I might ask for some critiques and stuff. There aren't enough videos of me anyway (all my good moments never get recorded lmao)

ZTD | TECHnology

Ba-bump.

Here's a friendlies set with Tutu: He's tied with me on the Michigan Power Rankings and one of the best Sheik's in the nation. All informative critique is welcome ^_^ This MU doesn't happen very often at a high level so its a good way to see how the MU works if you're curious.

Tech_Chase :dedede: vs Tutu :sheik:

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

Enjoy guys!

Side note: I recorded the vids on a lower quality to see what would happen so they may not be the best looking. I probably should have just done the highest quality setting. Lesson learned lol.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Read all of allshort's second critique of my vids, even though it's been over a month since he posted them. Again, I'm awed by the spot-on accuracy of his analysis. I've worked on my dairing problem and now I have to make it a point to use utilt instead of usmash. Glad you liked my use of nair. :)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Alright, I'm back with two more vids of myself, this time from Impact! II. Will, Dabuz, Atomsk, Ally, Vinnie, Penta, CoonTail, John12346, Allied, and Minty were all present. The vids are of me in a tourney set with Luigisama. Could someone please critique those vids? I'd greatly appreciate it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVvpcl5r6I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5sU5pBeLA

Edit: I know I worked on my dairing, panicking, and punishing problems, but I'm aware that they were still present somewhat in these matches.

allshort17

Smash Ace
[Collapse="Critique"]Game 1:

*I like how you pointed your shield, however I believe you think you can use that to reside in your shield more. You should go for more powershields. You'll really never have to point your shield if you do that because 1. your shield won't be small you you don't need to point to cover a weak area 2. It only really helps with defending with multi-hit moves that poke at weird parts of your shield. For example, MK's tornado. Also, if you point your shield you have to think. Even if it's just a little, it means you won't be as brief as you could with your shielding and will not get a powershield since you did it a little early to compensate for the thinking time.

*Don't challenge Marth offstage. You were running off the edge to bair stage spike him, but you got hit many times. Even if it does trade with his UpB, it will leave you in a less advantageous position the majority of the time. Honestly, the bair string you did to gimp him shouldn't have worked. All he has to do is UpB and the invincibility on it would have beat your bair. However, it worked so good job and it looked cool.

*You don't have to be so scared when you are edgeguarding Marth. You often ran out and ran back in or poked with a fair. Even if you were trying to bait a jumping fair from him, you did it too so many times it was easy to see. You can wait a little closer to the ledge and bait him that way. When you see him jump up, shield and you get a free grab. One of my favorite things to freak people out is to grab the second they get off the ledge. It works often and ruins their morale.

*A dair off the ledge will probably never work. Marth should never be that close to the ledge in the first place, so you will just whiff and he gets a free hit like he did. Mix-up you ledge options. Did you know that Dedede can get onstage if he falls off the ledge at an angle and jumps? He has to be facing forward when he jumps and the timing is strict, but you can do some pretty weird things like inhale, waddle dee toss, or buffer a grab when you land onstage.

*Learn how to shield-cancel CG. It's harder and could miss more often, but if you get it down you get a lot more throws and earn more threat to your CG.

*You should roll back less. If you are rolling, you are uncomfortable with your spacing. It also causes you to lose a lot of stage control. Try walking in to cover ground. That way, you don't have to commit as much to covering ground and if you feel unsafe, you can just walk away a little and not lose as much stage control. Also, get comfortable with ranges. If you need to, grab a buddy or use the computer and see if you can just sit outside of their range without reacting.

Game 2:

*All comments from game one still apply, only this time you were getting punished for it. He was reading you and you really didn't change. Adapt better. Make sure you look and try to take note of as much as possible when playing so you know what you can abuse later. Also, know what you conditioned him to do. That's why you learn all your habits, so if you have one you at least know your opponent can see it too.

*Did you see how you were often on the edge of the stage? It was because your rolling habit. He was punishing your rolls with SideB. If you see that, just shield it all and grab him. The lack of stage control was also because you wanted to control the platforms so badly. It's nice to have control of the platforms to block full hop approaches, however when he's in the lead he doesn't need to approach. You need to figure out smart ways to bait him out. Also, Marth really can get around the platforms because short hop fair is that good. I really feel like it's better than a full hop because with a full hop at least you can run under him and punish his close landing.

*I see you like to airdodge into people, whether it's to approach or get out of a situation. Try to avoid that. It's obvious to see and punish an airdodge. Also, it was usually and indicator that you were going to do a utilt when you land. How about landing with inhale or a grab? Or maybe just running back out?

*The biggest problem i noticed is that you just didn't calm down. You rarely ever walked, empty hopped, or even just stood there. Those are all great baits. I know it's good to zone him out with bairs and grabs, but even when you where doing them they all looked like they were meant to hit or bait a react to get a hit right after. Everything doesn't need to hit. You can just do things to see how they react. Even if you are bair walling, do it as a test and wait to see how they approach every time. This could help you on your reading.

Game 3:

*The commentator called it, but bad Di on the last hit. It's because you where being to something and you got hit right before you did it and it counted as Di. Calm down.

*I realized you aren't in control when you play. He controls everything and the hits you get are only because you punished a mistake. A have to learn how to cause mistakes. This comes from reading. This is also why you do so many moves. It's because you are just waiting for something to work, not actually try to cause him to mess up. This also why you shield/spotdodge/back roll too much. You do those until 1 of 4 things happen:

*You get hit
*You punish a mistake
*He runs away
*You roll away

You do this every time you are scared. Be confident. If there is one thing to tell you to practice, it's to look at what you opponent is doing at all times and ask yourself "what is my action going to cause him to do." If you get this down, you will defiantly level up.

*I won't say much more about this video except that all comments above are in here. Look at it yourself and see how many moments you can pick out where you did one of the things above. It's a great learning experience. Make sure to right or type what you see down!

TL;DR version: More powershields, don't challenge Marth offstage, Edgeguard with confidence, don't dair off the ledge, shield cancel CG, watch airdodge habit, back roll less, calm down, look at what your opponent is doing and adapt, shield/spotdodge/back less when scared.

If you need anything else don't be afraid to ask me or any of the other Dedede's better than me like tech_chase, 4god, and Zekey.[/collapse]

I'll do your Olimar video later.

allshort17

Smash Ace
This is your Olimar friendly.

[collapse="Critique"] I'm going to keep this short and sweet because I think that's what will be best.
Game 1: You are never going to win:
*On the ground
*Far away

Which is all you did. You has to stay in the air to get around pikmin toss. Also, all of Olimar's good ground moves, save Upsmash, hit low to the ground. So, you can run at him to bait him to grab or Fsmash, then short hop over it. Make sure you punish him with either a grab, inhale, dtilt, or bair because those are the best moves to get him into the air. Ftilt is good to rack damage, but even if you get it to hit he still has the advantage. So, use it sparingly. It also works better at higher percents, like %80, because then it puts him into the air. I also didn't like how you keep getting off the pikmin stuck to you. If you were in the air, there wouldn't be many on you anyway. You're also staling your bair and uptilt, which are great moves in the match-up. Use nair to get them off. However, I did like how you used bair to prevent pikmin to get on you and I will be using that. Juat do it less to keep bair fresher. Lastly, you were to aggressive offstage. For example, using dash attack to keep him off. Just bait him to airdodge or whistle with empty hops or bairs and punish his landing with a grab. Rinse and repeat. Wait until he his in a bad recovery spot then edgehog him. But, do sit there too long like you did or you will get stage spiked.
[/COLLAPSE]

I'm not going to do Falco because that's not my area of expertise. You're next bubbaking.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
I haven't gotten to watch all of them yet but so far I watched your games vs toronto joe and the first match vs xatic. First vs wario don't take him to battlefield. Probably his best neutral in this matchup. Next don't run away vs wario. Always challenge him in the air with bair. As long as he isn't directly above you bair beats his whole moveset. Second don't give up stage control. At least in this matchup you should always be pressuring wario to the edge and from there limiting his options. Not to knowledge in the mk matchup so I won't talk on it.

:phone:

allshort17

Smash Ace
I think after my tournament this week I'm going to run down and do crtiques for everyone who asked for one in one week. I'll probably do one of two a day. So, if you have anything just post it now.

ZTD | TECHnology

Here are some tourney sets of me from last Saturday (offline this time)

vs. Gio :metaknight:

vs. Xatic :warioc: / :metaknight:

vs. Toronto Joe :metaknight:

All critiques are welcome.
Gonna critique your set vs TO Joe real quick.

- You use Waddle Dee Toss a bit too liberally in this MU. You absolutely have to space it well and you cannot be overzealous with it because anyone with a good dash like MK's can just rush in and start making you into their personal combo video. You're using it wayyyyyyy too close to MK.

- Kyon is absolutely correct when saying your reaction time is slow. Because of that you missed out on some good grab punishes (especially when you didn't do anything once you rolled behind him ...that's a free grab a lot of times). You looked really slow in this set and you spent more time just trying to not get hit than actually working on pressuring him. And in this particular MU, you HAVE to be able to react to MK. Powershields are ESSENTIAL in this MU. MK doesn't give you many opportunities for punishes. (This is why I like to tech chase) This means, you have to react faster. It's not a suggestion, it's a MUST.

- Don't use Forward Air when MK is low to the ground and able to get under you. The hitbox is big yes, but if you miss (and often times in that position you will), you're gonna get a variety of punishes depending on the situation.

- You recover very predictably. Especially Game 1, you went high too many times and as a result ate many Shuttle Loops. You HAVE to mix it up against MK or you will lose your stock early every single time. And notice how you got killed off the top with Nado from your recovery Game 1.....that isn't supposed to happen.

- You panic when you leave the ground and someone is pressuring you. This is evident in your air dodge spamming when you're trying to land. Keep your composure and remember all of your options. Try falling with a Dair or a Bair sometimes. Or FF Airdodge. You'd be surprised how many times our ridiculous fall speedy gets us out of jams.

- If you get the grab and you're not confident in your tech chasing skills...B-Throw him. Do it until B-Throw does about 13-14% then try Down Throw. I tend to get more aggressive with my tech chases these days. (:awesome:)

- Wait more. You'd be surprised what bad habits you can pick out when you wait more. Even if MK is in close quarters, you don't have to just throw out panic grabs; that will get you punished. Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Hope this helps.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
Along with the waddle throws I feel you were doing way to many f tilts at neutral spacing. Against a fast character like mk you can't just throw out f tilt like that. He can power shield or just regular shield and punish easily. It is better used for punishing landings from a good range in my opinion.

:phone:

Top Bottom