• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo "Off My Chest" thread (BE CIVIL)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Some of the recent news about Nintendo filing certain patents related to gameplay elements for Tears of the Kingdom is incredibly troubling. Various gameplay patents in titles have had a long history of being dubious moves that end up hoarding potentially interesting mechanics to select companies and its no different when Nintendo does it. Whether this kind of stuff will hold up on court remains to be seen, but creatively speaking this can lead to some bad roads.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Some of the recent news about Nintendo filing certain patents related to gameplay elements for Tears of the Kingdom is incredibly troubling. Various gameplay patents in titles have had a long history of being dubious moves that end up hoarding potentially interesting mechanics to select companies and its no different when Nintendo does it. Whether this kind of stuff will hold up on court remains to be seen, but creatively speaking this can lead to some bad roads.
It seems interesting, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Lenidem

Smash Lord

Quillion

Smash Hero
I do think Nintendo fans deserve to be called out for cultish, brainlessly apologistic behavior.

I don't think they're necessarily worse than a lot of fandoms for a lot of other entertainment though (even outside video games).

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
This may sound half-off topic, but Project X Zone 3 shouldn't need Bandai Namco, Sega and Capcom again.
Monolith Soft should replace them with:
Square Enix × SNK × Konami.
Nintendo still would have representation anyways. Yeah, so my dream of seeing Sonic is now down the drain. Now I want Gex.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Musically speaking, I think one of SSBU’s faults was focusing way too much on being fast-paced for the sake of the pace of the gameplay. If you were going to do that, I think you should’ve also balanced it with the overall tone of the song you’re remixing. This fan remix of Fourside is a great example of balancing faithfulness with a fast pace.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Musically speaking, I think one of SSBU’s faults was focusing way too much on being fast-paced for the sake of the pace of the gameplay. If you were going to do that, I think you should’ve also balanced it with the overall tone of the song you’re remixing. This fan remix of Fourside is a great example of balancing faithfulness with a fast pace.

Using 8-Bit Big Band as an example?

1692295894990.png

But in all seriousness, the victory themes got the worst of it. Look how they massacred Yoshi's fanfare

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Nintendo should be using their IP's for more pinball games. They used to be more common, but these days you don't really see any first party ones, which is a shame given the potential and how small titles like them can find a market on the eshop. Get some enterprising indie developers and see what they can do with various Nintendo properties. Heck if anything, such an experiment would be great for the more obscure/inactive franchises. Get a Kid Icarus, F-Zero, or Star Fox pinball project going and see what modest developers can do with it.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Nintendo should be using their IP's for more pinball games. They used to be more common, but these days you don't really see any first party ones, which is a shame given the potential and how small titles like them can find a market on the eshop. Get some enterprising indie developers and see what they can do with various Nintendo properties. Heck if anything, such an experiment would be great for the more obscure/inactive franchises. Get a Kid Icarus, F-Zero, or Star Fox pinball project going and see what modest developers can do with it.
You mean like actual pinball machines or pinball video games?

Either way, I think Nintendo could use their IP for arcade games in general.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
You mean like actual pinball machines or pinball video games?

Either way, I think Nintendo could use their IP for arcade games in general.
Ideally both, though I think digital only/Switch pinball games could more easily make a modest profit if done right.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Nintendo should start working with outside IP again/more often. I know they've done things like make a Popeye Arcade game and make Pac-Man Vs., but if they can score licenses, that's more money for them and more quality for the audience.

They should probably steer clear of Viacom though...

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I really wish Project X Zone was a Japan-exclusive game, then Sonic fans (like Me) won't be sobbing to this day, about the Blue Rat not being there.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Honestly Nintendo doing their variation of Project x Zone would be really interesting. There's so much depth from their IP's that could probably wait till the sequel (or maybe even the third game) before even doing crossovers with third parties.
Call me a "jack***" whatsoever, but I'm a firm believer that PxZ3 would have only non-human-nor-human-like Scrimblo characters (Pac-Man, Klonoa, Firebrandt, Carbuncle, etc).

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Call me a "jack***" whatsoever, but I'm a firm believer that PxZ3 would have only non-human-nor-human-like Scrimblo characters (Pac-Man, Klonoa, Firebrandt, Carbuncle, etc).
IMG_2404.jpeg

Seriously, there are plenty of non-scrimblo characters that haven’t appeared in anything for possibly decades that Project X Zone helped bring more light to, and I’m glad Namco and Monolith Soft took that risky approach for the series. Heck, it’s even what’s inspired me to do research for my PxZ wishlists because there’s so many characters even within my familiarity that have barely even appeared in many crossovers. Time Crisis, Comix Zone, etc.

TL;DR The lack of scrimblos has the benefit obscure characters getting the spotlight. Shoehorning scrimblos for the sake of saying it has them just ruins everything.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm out of the loop, why do people want anthro animals in a fighting game about human characters?
Because a lot of Sega fans throw tantrums when the cartoony mascots aren't included in a company wide crossover game.

It's about some perceived slight, but was never a slight at all.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At the heart of this is the fact that Sega, because of its inconsistent worldwide success with various franchises, has created multitudes of fandoms that aren't just separate but are not even really crossing over in terms of players.

Sonic is the most famous Sega character/franchise but its not as popular back home and the still enduring IP's that are still beloved there don't get as much play in the West. Thus Project X Zone and its focus on the latter series just comes off as missing the likes of the Blue Blur even when (given the audience its going for) it makes total sense that it's emphasis is Sega stuff outside the likes of Sonic and certain other mascot characters.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I wish we would stop throwing New Super Mario Bros. under the bus in order to prop up Wonder.

More so, I also dislike that the Maker duology is outright ignored in the discussion about Wonder.

Yes, Wonder is a big revitalization of 2D Mario with so many cool new features, but I really don't think it would've existed without NSMB giving it a foundation to stand on nor Maker to give the keys of content creation to the fans to buy the Pikmin/2D Mario team some time to come up with new ideas.

On that note, I'm impressed that, since we know that the Pikmin and 2D Mario team are the same, they were able to put out two games this year. They must've been busy.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Giegue is a better villain than Porky. In Earthbound 1, Giegue has a really well done origin story that feels historic. In Earthbound 2, Porky is more will defined when he's the timid wimp before the mid portion of the game where he falls flat. Even after the series completion, there are obviously still more hidden layers to Giegue. And during the events of the first 2 games, Giegue's presence is more well rounded, clean and shady. He's an alien, while at the same time, is subjected to human complexities. Giegue nails everything.

Actually, I'm convinced Giegue is the best and most well layed out villain Nintendo has to offer.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Wario doesn't need to be in Super Mario Bros Wonder; I'd rather have a new Wario Land game
I feel the same way about DK. Let Wario and Donkey Kong have their own distinct series rather than trying to merge with Mario one.
My view is that Wario and DK should be in as "skins" like Luigi, the Princesses, and the Toads are in Wonder. That way, there's still motivation to play as them in their own series.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Tears of the Kingdom is fine with Aonuma's decision to not give it DLC.

That said, the game seriously needs some QoL updates if anything.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I'm so happy to see Super Mario RPG finally get the representation it deserves and I hope we can say the same for other classic IPs soon.

I really want a Chrono Trigger remake. And I also want to see older Final Fantasy characters, like Terra, Locke, Sabin, Cecil, Rosa, Black Mage, White Mage, etc. show up in games again.

I want F-Zero to take off as a serious racing franchise again.

An Earthbound remake with the same claymation style as the Link's Awakening one would make my heart sing. Ooh, and the first Mother game, too.

I know I am not talking wholly about Nintendo games but I stand by what I say regardless.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I know some people are upset about F-Zero 99 just being another Arika 99 game.

But considering that Nintendo's online system is horribly outdated, perhaps testing the waters and stress testing with that sort of thing before moving on to a full game is the right call.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I know some people are upset about F-Zero 99 just being another Arika 99 game.

But considering that Nintendo's online system is horribly outdated, perhaps testing the waters and stress testing with that sort of thing before moving on to a full game is the right call.
In addition to that, given Nintendo's reluctance to do much with the IP and the series generally struggling sales F-Zero 99 might be the most practical means of the company seeing what interest is there for it and potentially doing more with it in the future. It might be tied to the Battle Royale format (at least for a while) but its the most realistic chance at the franchise continuing in some form.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
In addition to that, given Nintendo's reluctance to do much with the IP and the series generally struggling sales F-Zero 99 might be the most practical means of the company seeing what interest is there for it and potentially doing more with it in the future. It might be tied to the Battle Royale format (at least for a while) but its the most realistic chance at the franchise continuing in some form.
That's actually the part that worries me though. If they're stress-testing the network to support an online iteration of F-Zero, that part makes sense.

But on the other hand, testing the waters with a spin-off like this has never worked, even outside Nintendo.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Earlier in the thread I lamented the lack of DS/3DS originated games that were no longer getting follow-ups in the Switch era and while that is unfortunate, I'm now realizing (albeit after an embarrassing long period) that the embracing of the indie market by Nintendo in the past 6-8 years has increasingly made such games less profitable within the eshop ecosystem. Stuff like Dillon's Rolling Western may have only been viable in a market where they weren't directly competing with passionate indie projects covering similar ground, and the best chance at competing (via more time and resources put into them) aren't likely given that their entire existence owed to being very modest titles to begin with.

While its disappointing and I do think some of the games from that era could make a small splash if properly managed, I do understand their absence is a matter of practical questions about cost/benefit with smaller releases.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Once they’re done with MK8, the team should focus their efforts on a sequel to ARMS; out of all the Nintendo IP’s, ARMS is one I think has just as much potential to grow as any others.
Honestly, I think ARMS really is best as a one-shot IP. I really liked the game, and I do think a unique experience like that should stay fully unique to one game.

Earlier in the thread I lamented the lack of DS/3DS originated games that were no longer getting follow-ups in the Switch era and while that is unfortunate, I'm now realizing (albeit after an embarrassing long period) that the embracing of the indie market by Nintendo in the past 6-8 years has increasingly made such games less profitable within the eshop ecosystem. Stuff like Dillon's Rolling Western may have only been viable in a market where they weren't directly competing with passionate indie projects covering similar ground, and the best chance at competing (via more time and resources put into them) aren't likely given that their entire existence owed to being very modest titles to begin with.

While its disappointing and I do think some of the games from that era could make a small splash if properly managed, I do understand their absence is a matter of practical questions about cost/benefit with smaller releases.
I think out of all the big video game companies, Nintendo is the best equipped to make small-scale download-only games, and that's because they have teams experienced in those small-scale handheld-only experiences.

The fact that they're not taking advantage of the eShop to continue to make small-scale download-only games is a waste of their own potential really.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think out of all the big video game companies, Nintendo is the best equipped to make small-scale download-only games, and that's because they have teams experienced in those small-scale handheld-only experiences.

The fact that they're not taking advantage of the eShop to continue to make small-scale download-only games is a waste of their own potential really.
i don't think nintendo is the one who decided when IS and hal make new pullblox and boxboy

Top Bottom