• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Mario Match-Up Index

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I will work hard to make mario reach the top!
But seriously, i wish Dr.mario was in brawl. He was stronger then mario & his fair was broken. :[

Omari

Smash Journeyman
I will work hard to make mario reach the top!
But seriously, i wish Dr.mario was in brawl. He was stronger then mario & his fair was broken. :[
Work smart Coolwhip, working hard only results in you dying faster (LOL, you'd be killing yourself). All jokes aside, I'm very sure you (all true Mario mains) will do their thing to better Mario as a character. Regarding Melee, Dr. Mario's Front Air (f-air) made perfect sense (which made no sense).

guapanga

Smash Rookie
!! omariiiii !! you !enjoy arguing about mario here , eehh ??

mario can beat any pro character . boss is the best mario. but i doubt he use 100% marios potential . mario need more rep and new talents will appear in the process ;)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
In the meantime, someone needs to get Flameleon to the USA...

But KirinBlaze will do for the time being.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
We seriously need to get Flame a plane ticket. Or at least record some of his matches.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
He's a good character for beginners to learn with, since he is more or less the standard in terms of gameplay. If you learn with Mario, you can pick up everyone else very easily, and you'll have good basic skills since Mario doesn't have any move or attribute you can rely on too much.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I actually think Mario is really difficult to learn on a low level in Brawl. This is part of the reason why Mario users haven't had particularly great success in tournament. Even if we have good matchups (which we most certainly do), Mario is generally a character that requires constant attention and care.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I actually think Mario is really difficult to learn on a low level in Brawl. This is part of the reason why Mario users haven't had particularly great success in tournament. Even if we have good matchups (which we most certainly do), Mario is generally a character that requires constant attention and care.
I agree with all of this except for Mario has good MUs. Using the BBR rating, Mario has a lot of -1's. He has a lot of winnable MUs, but not good. Other than MK, Marth, D3, and super campy Falco, he can win any MU.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I definitely think we have more favorable matchups than the BBR chart implies (move around some of the +-0 matchups here and there), but there isn't enough high level representation from Mario to prove it.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
beat him in pools at my last tourney and just wondered how good of lucario main he was?

came down to game 3 last stock both at like 130%

and ran at him SH fireball (he shielded), then dash danced once back and forth(he spot dodged as i with dashing towards him), and I did a stutter step Fsmash which I only did because everytime I Fsmashed, i would miss by inches and would get hit by his Fsmash and won the set

PS. Matador you pic scares me a little

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Can you Fludd Kirby and make him lose his powers?

Cuz I think I just did...

Edit: yeah...I just confirmed it...how come I didn't know this?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Can anyone give some tips on how to play against Wario?
Vs Wario is somewhat hard to explain, but the jist of it is B-airs and tilts are really good against him. Knowing how to not get grab baited is EXTREMELY important against Wario as well, because he'll rely a lot on that for kills.

All in all the only problem Wario should actually give you is the fact you have to legitimately outplay him to land the kill move (pick any fresh Smash. U-smash generally is the easiest in this matchup). You generally should be able to do more damage to him if your spacing is decent. CPing him to Brinstar is also good, especially since most Wario mains don't understand that Mario is significantly better on that stage.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If Wario tries to fight Mario on the ground, he generally loses. If he tries to camp on the platforms, your superior platform pressure dominates him, while Wario in comparison doesn't really have as much to do to really scare Mario when Mario platform camps.

Honestly it's as simple as that. Brinstar just naturally works better for Mario in every way in that matchup. You also adapt to lava rises better than Wario does. And yes, the fact you can fireball camp also helps.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
If Wario tries to fight Mario on the ground, he generally loses. If he tries to camp on the platforms, your superior platform pressure dominates him, while Wario in comparison doesn't really have as much to do to really scare Mario when Mario platform camps.

Honestly it's as simple as that. Brinstar just naturally works better for Mario in every way in that matchup. You also adapt to lava rises better than Wario does. And yes, the fact you can fireball camp also helps.
What does Mario have to scare Wario on platforms?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Platform pressure - dair/uair/nair(?).

On the ground we can hold our own and Wario vs Mario with us on the ground has some of his aerial approach vectors narrowed down.

He can still wiggle around with that stupid air mobility, but he can't get in as easily.

On platforms Mario's smashes in general cover everywhere on said platform.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Dair and Nair mostly, but Uair and Bair are amazing too. It works because of how low lag our aerials are. That's why Luigi's platform pressure is amazing as well.

He doesn't have our dair though...which I'm starting to believe is kinda broken for platform pressure.

No bull...I hit others with it and can't really figure out what I'd do if I were in their shoes...aside from avoiding the platform completely.

Top Bottom