• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
Rathatlos tweet + Golden Sun trademark + Sakuraba hasn't gotten a music on the website yet + we always get a couple of new IP characters + "I looked at the ballot for new fighters"
Yeah,... I need to write that down to remember it in moments like this, thanks.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Rathatlos tweet + Golden Sun trademark + Sakuraba hasn't gotten a music on the website yet + we always get a couple of new IP characters + "I looked at the ballot for new fighters"
What's the reasoning behind Sakuraba? Not trying to poke holes I just need enlightenment.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
What's the reasoning behind Sakuraba? Not trying to poke holes I just need enlightenment.
So far on the website, each music track has a different composer (Except to the one who did the title sequence). Going by this logic, assuming it continues the trend of highlighting different composers, we're hoping Sakuraba will come with a Golden Sun track update as he's the composer for the Golden Sun franchise.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
So far on the website, each music track has a different composer (Except to the one who did the title sequence). Going by this logic, assuming it continues the trend of highlighting different composers, we're hoping Sakuraba will come with a Golden Sun track update as he's the composer for the Golden Sun franchise.
Hmm..I wouldn't say that is of anything solid. But that is nice to know though! Let's hope Sakuraba gets to compose a piece!

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I'm far more inclined to believe Isaac is base roster than anything. IMO he's the most likely non-Echo left.
Hey Billy, What are the points you would make if somebody were to ask you about Issacs chances making it into the base roster? I got a few buds who argue that Isaac is not relevant enough to even be considered as his last game was 8 years and they bring up that box theory (Which I so don't follow). You seem to want him in more than anyone I know thanks to your videos you made about him, so just how likely do you think Isaac is now?

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Hey Billy, What are the points you would make if somebody were to ask you about Issacs chances making it into the base roster? I got a few buds who argue that Isaac is not relevant enough to even be considered as his last game was 8 years and they bring up that box theory (Which I so don't follow). You seem to want him in more than anyone I know thanks to your videos you made about him, so just how likely do you think Isaac is now?
Right now, I have Isaac at around a 60%.

1 - He's a highly requested character from the Smash Community, who's fanbase has shown up in polls across the decade in support of the character and the franchise.
2 - His franchise was a big hit during the GBA days and as far as Nintendo IPs go, is one of the top contenders for representation. We always get new IPs represented each game in the franchise and with first IP choices dwindling, Golden Sun sticks out.
3 - Isaac's moveset has endless possibility thanks to his psynergy and djinni powers. He uses a sword, yes, but he's characterised by his skills as an Adept, which we touched upon in Smash 4 with Robin's mage build, but not to the extent that Isaac could take it.
4 - With King K Rool in the game, relevancy is somewhat meaningless and as Sakurai has stated he's been looking at the ballot for newcomers (At least in Rool's case), Isaac might be in with a shot as he placed well on polls back in 2015.

That being said, Isaac isn't a sure-fire bet. We've been on this road before and been burned many times in the past - The lack of Isaac's assist trophy in Smash 4 being a prime example of this. Without a doubt, Ultimate is Isaac's best shot at making it into the roster, given his limitations as a character who's franchise is currently dormant, and who's placement relies solely on the ballot and fan demand.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I've been looking at the old statistics and something bothers me. For Brawl and Wii U, the Pokemon fighters (new ones) were always announced in the first half of the Smash hype train. And yet in Ultimate doesn't have one yet.

Very odd! Wonder why that is the case?

Last edited:

Confirmation

Smash Ace
I've been looking at the old statistics and something bothers me. For Brawl and Wii U, the Pokemon fighters (new ones) were always announced in the first half of the Smash hype train. And yet in Ultimate doesn't have one yet.

Very odd! Wonder why that is the case?
Wasn't Lucario late? He did get leaked early on though

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Wasn't Lucario late? He did get leaked early on though
Ah that would make sense. I did think there was something off. Brain's back to normal now!

EDIT: Also I believe the DLC is going to be heavily reflecting like the base roster what that ballot showed. So hope for Isaac is not lost until Sakurai says "here's the last character" and it isn't Isaac.

We keep going chums!

Last edited:

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
The Rathalos tweet will always be enough for me. Just too many references to all be 'a coincidence'.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
The Rathalos tweet will always be enough for me. Just too many references to all be 'a coincidence'.
It's a little sad that the tweet was at the time the most relevant thing to Golden Sun in years. Sad times for us Sun fans

EDIT: Also the translation is in for that segment about slowing the pace

Sakurai states,“...That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace for a bit.”

When you think about it, we've had 6 characters in two months. It does make sense that they are slowing it down. It doesn't state they are reducing the number of reveals. Just that there will be a breather

Last edited:

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Yeah, there is too much coincidence in that picture everything fits, the characters, the angle, Rathalos as dragon, even the stage.
If this is really random then...wow I don't know, I would REALLY be suprised.

For me, it's just waiting for his confirm now, I really don't care about leaks anymore, it became really annoying and it's draining to discuss with people about newcomers. (not here tho but on other platforms)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's a little sad that the tweet was at the time the most relevant thing to Golden Sun in years. Sad times for us Sun fans

Sakurai states,“...That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace for a bit.”

When you think about it, we've had 6 characters in two months. It does make sense that they are slowing it down. It doesn't state they are reducing the number of reveals. Just that there will be a breather
Also based on this wording, I think an October reveal is more likely to happen now. It'll just be a one-off reveal like Robin way back when. Either a single fighter or a single fighter and Echo could potentially wind up being the case.

Either way, the new translation sounds far more positive with Sakurai simply saying that they're not going to do any big blowouts for a while, but that doesn't mean we're not getting anything at all in October.

But if he was talking about a stage, it was obvious that Ridley was going to be a stage hazard. It's not the same as the Rathalos image.
They're definitely vastly different circumstances. The Rathalos picture inherently doesn't mean anything innately. It could very well be a tease, and so many things line up perfectly with it.

Ridley was flat out implied to be a boss to begin with. The inherent expectations are different right off the bat. The Rathalos pic doesn't have any assumptions at face value, while Ridley did (hinting at him being a boss).

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
But if he was talking about a stage, it was obvious that Ridley was going to be a stage hazard. It's not the same as the Rathalos image.
Because hyping the appearance of a heavily requested character for months only to have them be a stage hazard is stupid. Who the **** gets hype over a stage hazard? Especially when that hazard deconfirms an incredibly popular request.
Edit: Sure both scenarios are different but, Sakurai has had an odd way of misleading people (particularly those that look for any hidden references or meanings).

Last edited:

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
Because hyping the appearance of a heavily requested character for months only to have them be a stage hazard is stupid. Who the **** gets hype over a stage hazard? Especially when that hazard deconfirms an incredibly popular request.
They didn't 'hype' the appearance of Ridley. Fans wanted him and Sakurai showed Ridley's shadow while talking about Stage Specific Bosses while saying "Other bosses may show up too!"

I'm sorry if this is mean, but if you thought that meant "He's playable" then you weren't using your brain, you were just seeing what you wanted to see.

Last edited:

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
They didn't 'hype' the appearance of Ridley. Fans wanted him and Sakurai showed Ridley's shadow while talking about Stage Specific Bosses while saying "Other bosses may show up too!"

I'm sorry if this is mean, but if you thought that meant "He's playable" then you weren't using your brain, you were just seeing what you wanted to see.
The pyrosphere pic of the day appeared months before that Ridley shadow. I did not think he was playable after that. I thought he was playable before then because Sakurai surely wouldn't directly reference the appearance of the Smash community's most requested character only to disappoint the entire fan base. And sure enough that is what he did. Which is why I cannot, with 100% certainty, see the tweet as a reference to Isaac. Even if it is he could pull a 'Smash 4 Ridley' on us and reveal him as an assist trophy.
Seriously, I hated the build up to Smash 4.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
The pyrosphere pic of the day appeared months before that Ridley shadow. I did not think he was playable after that. I thought he was playable before then because Sakurai surely wouldn't directly reference the appearance of the Smash community's most requested character only to disappoint the entire fan base. And sure enough that is what he did. Which is why I cannot, with 100% certainty, see the tweet as a reference to Isaac. Even if it is he could pull a 'Smash 4 Ridley' on us and reveal him as an assist trophy.
Seriously, I hated the build up to Smash 4.
I am sincerely hoping that won't be the case this time. I just hope sakurai knows about us golden sun fans and how much our golden boy making into the biggest crossover fighting game means to us. We have been in this fight for a long time and we are not going to slow down until that dream becomes reality.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Im starting to think Verge was just speculating on the "Castlevania collection being announced alongside Simon" part.

Wtf why is the voting connected to a UK site? I can't vote!

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I have one word for you:

Splatoon.

Splatoon proves this idea completely. They could've easily opted to include Splatoon via DLC and did not. This time around, ARMS will have been out well before DLC happened, so I think ARMS will happen as DLC this time. But NOT the base roster. Sakurai isn't a fortune teller. Even if he knew about ARMS (which isn't very likely), he won't be able to know how successful it is in advance. ARMS simply won't be included base roster for this very reason, and in all honesty, if it was going to happen I think it would've been announced by now.

I think we're going to get an "Other" music track show up for ARMS on the website eventually and that's the end of it.
While its true Arms is more than likely to be DLC Splatoon is a bad example. No Nintendo newcomer was planned. No Slpatoon character was a highly requested vet or a large third party. They did include it the one way they could at the time which was a Mii costume so it still got into Smash. Also, don't say Corrin because he was due to executive meddling and was chosen purely because his game hadn't released in the West making him perfect advertising material. Saying the Inklings didn't make it as DLC just isn't a good argument because it didn't have a chance as DLC.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

We only have just over two months left though, what exactly does he mean by "for a bit"?

He makes it sound like a temporary thing but there's not that much time left before release. :p

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
I am sincerely hoping that won't be the case this time. I just hope sakurai knows about us golden sun fans and how much our golden boy making into the biggest crossover fighting game means to us. We have been in this fight for a long time and we are not going to slow down until that dream becomes reality.
Same. I do want Isaac to be in the game but, I am afraid that the tweet could mean nothing or be teasing something besides Isaac being playable (like an Isaac AT). I certainly hope Sakurai has learned not to do this **** again.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
We only have just over two months left though, what exactly does he mean by "for a bit"?

He makes it sound like a temporary thing but there's not that much time left before release. :p
They ended up editing the translation, so instead of "for a bit" it's "from here on out"

Which is worrying, but not that worrying. We could still get 3 unique and 3 echo by the time the game releases. that's just 6 characters in 2.5 months compared to the 6 we just got in a month

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
What if Isaac is the first character in being an AT and a playable character at the same time? It will be a great surprise
That has never happened before. Plus, there are tons of other Golden Sun characters who would make for good Assist Trophies.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
What if Isaac is the first character in being an AT and a playable character at the same time? It will be a great surprise
Haha. They have a Smash Direct that shows young Isaac as an assist trophy, then the last character announcement is adult Isaac (from Dark Dawn). It would be the biggest troll move Sakurai has ever made.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

They already started with Isabelle. We may get another fighter (maybe with an Echo, maybe not) in October, then have another big set of reveals in a final November Direct.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
This will be a war, some may even call it a bloodbath and many from both sides will perish this day. Yet in this time, in this hour, in this moment, my banner unfurls for our Golden Boy as we Champion him against the Bear and the Bird. May we show them why we are a force of nature, a powerful entity that can shake the earth and change Isaac's fate.

Today, we fight!

(Aka vote Isaac, leggo)

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, see the whole slowing the pace down thing that Sakurai mentions doesn't worry me... What worries me is the, "We may have been a little trigger happy."

That signals to me that the 5 they revealed in the August Direct isn't necessarily going to be repeated. Like they may have decided to drop King K Rool with that Direct when they had comparatively little left in the tank. I was kind of expecting a similar repeat in November with about 4 to be revealed, two Echo fighters and two unique. But now I'm partially convinced that THAT is expecting too much. I'm sure we have a character announcement left, but I just can't expect much with that comment. Glad to see him acknowledge the Isabelle situation a little with her being based on Villager. She may not have even been unique in the original project plan from the sound of things.

But yeah, sorry to be negative in this thread, but I'm officially applying my Smash Ultimate hype train breaks. There's too much going against the flow of this game at this point, and I genuinely don't believe we have much left character wise. That certainly communicates to me to not expect anything in October for one. Additionally Sakurai has basically never had the most amazing of final reveals, so I'm inclined to believe that this time won't be any different. There's too much of an amazing game for me to respect to let that be clouded by the greed of wanting more characters in (All 5 unique newcomers I've wanted in some capacity, 3 of which were top 10, and my top two both got in).

I'm still supportive of the characters, and god knows that Isaac and Geno are the last major two to deserve a spot after a decade of speculation and fan support, but for me, it's time to move my expectations to just a single new character. To expect less so I don't end up with any disappointments about the games roster. I can't really fault Sakurai when he's put this much in a single game for me to love. I hope we'll get a good amount of DLC to go with the game, but even that I refuse to expect for my own reasons. The hype train that revolves around character speculation is pretty much at its end for me. I still support and love everyone on this thread, and I'm sure I won't be able to resist keeping up with things anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom