• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB3D Disappointments Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
So now that we know pretty much everything there is to know about the mechanics, roster, items, and assist trophies of SSB4, I want to create a central hub for everyone's views and opinions on what they think the shortcomings of the game are rather than spreading the negativity through other threads. If there's anything you're disappointed in SSB4 (stage selections, items, assists, roster) then simply post it here!

RULES
1. No spamming or trolling.
2. Please don't just flat out say something sucks. That gets old quick and I see it in a lot of other threads.
3. If you're having a discussion, keep it calm! Opinions are welcome but spare us anger.

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
Peach's final smash. The opponents sleep like in only 1s. Barely can do anything. The range seems smaller and the opponents take damages up to just 30% if you stay close while in Brawl was 40%.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
It seems great to me. No intro would be my only gripe.

Hank Scorpio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hail2DThief
3DS FC
2036-7953-4724
The blast zones being really huge and Smash Run not having online mode but it still looks like a good game overall.

Last edited:

GoddessOfLamps

Smash Ace
Some final smashes that REALLY needed to change (Peach, Falco, Toon Link, Sheik) didn't. And others that didn't need to (Kirby, Dedede, ROB) got changed. It's also disappointing that none of the clones have a unique FS. Also the CSS and SSS are really ugly :ohwell:

Last edited:

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Dr. Luigi is love. Dr. Luigi is life.

My disappointments... Some lack of characters that should have been added in personally... No U.S. Luigi costume even though Mario got one.... No online Smash Run... Some of the full clones didn't get very many changes compared to their normal counterparts, except for Dr. Mario really... Apparently no stage builder, though that doesn't affect me too much... Dark Pit not living up to the potential he could have had... Marth's Roy colored costume doesn't have red hair... What else is there...? I might add more when I can think of more.

Besides some gripes, I'm sure I'll still have a great time with the game.

Last edited:

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Alph is the only alt costume that didn't get a full clone slot status. That really bugs me because they could've just put rock pikmin into his moveset and gave him his own slot slot like the other clones.

I'm also disappointed that more characters didn't get alternate costumes.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Mostly Ridley not being in. Because I hate the constant heated debates about him, so sick of hearing about it everywhere. Also no intro, but I'm sure there will be one in the other version. Other than that, I absolutely love this game.

GoddessOfLamps

Smash Ace
Alph is the only alt costume that didn't get a full clone slot status. That really bugs me because they could've just put rock pikmin into his moveset and gave him his own slot slot like the other clones.

I'm also disappointed that more characters didn't get alternate costumes.
There's also the koopalings... But that would just be overkill

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
No online for Smash Run suuuuuuuuucks. Also the game seems quite limited in game modes and content. You basically just collect trophies and clothes for Miis.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
No online for Smash Run.

That would have been perfect tournament material.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
- The CSS appearance is ugly imo, and the placements are questionable.
- No Online Smash Run.
- The lack of a My Music feature makes me very sad. I just hope that some future patch or update will add something similar to it.
- Mario "animal friends" (Bowser, DK, Diddy Kong) still have their bestial voices. Bowser's voice clashes with Junior's main stream voice. :/
- Mushroomy Kingdom returns

Last edited:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
The blast zones being really huge and Smash Run not having online mode but it still looks like a good game overall.
Wait smash run isn't online??

Awwwwwwggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh... D8

I'll prolly play that like once then...

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
The CSS appearance is ugly imo, and the placements are questionable.
No Online Smash Run.
The lack of a My Music feature makes me very sad. I just hope that some future patch or update will add something similar to it.
Unfortunately it appears My Music will never be part of the 3DS version, as Sakurai explained it to be a wii u exclusive feature, so I wouldn't really get my hopes up for anything like it.

Last edited:

EdwardJP

Smash Rookie
NNID
EdwardJP
3DS FC
4511-0577-1811
The lack of online Smash Run does suck.
No new stages for some franchises.
Some characters still having identical final smashes. It would have made sense if Falco got an arwing final smash considering he prefers the air...
Earthbound loses one representative but we still get Dr.Mario.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Some final smashes that REALLY needed to change (Peach, Falco, Toon Link, Sheik) didn't. And others that didn't need to (Kirby, Dedede, ROB) got changed. It's also disappointing that none of the clones have a unique FS. Also the CSS and SSS are really ugly :ohwell:
I agree on the ones you say should have changed. But I disagree with you on the ones that got changed and you feel didn't need to be. Kirby, Dedede, and ROB had some of the more boring Final Smashes in Brawl, IMO. Not to mention near worthless, though they're not as bad as DK's and Peach's. I do agree on the clones a bit, though it's so bizarre that Dark Pit got Zelda's FS. Lucina's kinda makes sense, though some variation would've been nice. And I'll forgive Dr Mario if we can make the nickname "Dr Mario Overdose" stick.

My only disappointment honestly stems from slight OCD. 5 Pokemon reps? They really should've brought back Mewtwo to up it to an even 6. Nice even number and even the right amount for a Pokemon team.

Though I will confess to being disappointed at a lack of Ridley and Krystal, they fell into the "would be nice" category alongside false hopes for Bayonetta and Shantae.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
It not being out yet and no online Smash run are my only complaints.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
- No "My Music" feature and the "only two songs per stage" limitation. The game is only ~2GB, 3DS cards can go up to 8GB. There are no hardware limitations that could justify this stupid limitation. I just don't understand. I hope they at least release "music packs" down the road as DLC.

- Smash Run is local-only. What the hell is Nintendo's problem with online play? Why are they so against it? It would be nice if they could acknowledge that a lot of adults don't have time to play local multiplayer and that a lot of people don't have "real life" friends who play video games.

- A few franchises didn't get new stages, like Metroid and Donkey Kong. I think they split the returning stages/new stages for the two versions, so Donkey Kong will likely get a new stage for the Wii U version and Metroid have the Pyrosphere as new stage. That could mean Kirby's isn't getting a new stage for the Wii U version, though. Still, it is disappointing that they brought back some of the worst stages in Smash history. Mushroomy Kingdom is awful, Brinstar is one of the ugliest stages in the series, Kongo Jungle is okay at best, etc. Why not Frigate Orpheon instead of Brinstar and Mushroom Kingdom II instead of Mushroomy Kingdom? Who knows.

- DK, Bowser and Diddy Kong still have the same stupid "real life" voices instead of cartoony voices. It is a shame, but not really a big deal.

- No option to use the d-pad to move the character.

- No Ridley yet

That is about it. The game seems to be amazing judging by the demo, but it definitely could have been even better.

Hank Scorpio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hail2DThief
3DS FC
2036-7953-4724
I agree they could have done something different for Peach, Falco, Toon Link, Sheik, and I'd also include Dr.Mario's reskin of Mario's FS. But the ones that got changed I approve of (except Kirby's cuz who didn't think chef Kirby wasn't adorable).

DJ Dong

Smash Cadet
The blast zones are too big. The game is perfect except for the blast zones. They are not only hype killing, but destroy character viability.

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
The blast zones are too big. The game is perfect except for the blast zones. They are not only hype killing, but destroy character viability.
I'd only say this until the edgeguard meta has evolved. I can see some characters having a lot of inclination to go out and do some reaches for the edgeguard. IMO Nintendo's trying to encourage the narrative of physically going out and guarding the edge itself rather than grabbing it and that being the end.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Honestly it's downright criminal that DK's final smash is still Donkey Konga. Speaking as a somewhat hardcore DKC fan (200% save file on Tropical Freeze :D) it could easily be replaced by the post boss battle pounding you get to do in Country Returns and Tropical Freeze where you wail on the boss for about 20 hits or so. Anyone close to DK when he activates his final smash could get caught in it and wrecked.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just to let you know the mods will leave this open but will be watching it if it goes badly. Just keep that in mind and the topic can stay open. No flaming, spamming, trolling, or rough housing.

General disappointments

No online smash run

No alt costumes that I wanted to see such as as: Dry Bowser, Cosmic Mario, Cosmic Rosalina, Mr. L, Doctor Luigi, Outset Link, Skyward Sword Zelda, Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf, Ocarina of Time Ganondorf, the cosplay costumes for Pikachu, Masked Dedede, Hooded Robin, Boxing Glove DK, and many others. I felt the alt costumes was a bit of a let down.

Too many veteran stages.

Lack of stage builder in the game

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I would have been happier if the roster was closer to this.

Changes I wanted...

Link
Alt Character: Dark Link
Mandatory Palette Swaps: Red, Blue, Purple
Final Smash: Fierce Deity Link

Toon Link
Move Set: Skull Hammer, Mirror Shield, Bombchu, Deku Leaf
Final Smash: Bowow
Mandatory Palette Swaps: Red, Blue, Purple, Minish Cap

Ganondorf
Move Set: Sword & Magic added, no longer Falcondorf

Black Shadow
Move Set: Ganondorf’s old move set.
Final Smash: Super Shadow Punch

Captain Falcon
Alt Character: Blood Falcon
Final Smash: Super Falcon Punch

Duck Hunt
Move Set:
(Dog Inspired: Bite, Pounce, Roll Over, Dig)
(Banjo Inspired: Feathery Flap Recovery, Peck “Rat-A-Tat”, Beak Buster, Beak Barge, Egg Firing, Breegull Bash)
(Light Gun Inspired: Clay Disc Toss)
Final Smash: Shoot at the screen as if your opponents are ducks from the fourth wall.

Villager
Mandatory Palette Swaps: Villagers based off your Animal Crossing save files.
Final Smash: Bee Hive

King Dedede
Mandatory Palette Swaps: Masked

Lucina
Mandatory Palette Swaps: Masked

Impa
Move Set: Sheik Semi-Clone

Donkey Kong
Final Smash: Coconut Gun

Mario
Mandatory Palette Swaps: Fire Mario

Luigi
Mandatory Palette Swaps: Mr. L, Fire Luigi

Peach
Alt Character: Daisy
Mandatory Palette Swaps: Fire Peach

Rosalina
Mandatory Palette Swaps: Cosmic Spirit

Yoshi
Mandatory Palette Swaps: White, Black

Meta Knight Alt Character: Galacta Knight

Pit
Alt Character: Dark Pit

Falco
Final Smash: Arwing

Ness
Alt Character: Lucas

Giygas
Move Set: Mewtwo Semi-Clone

Olimar
Alt Character: Alph
Final Smash: Rock Pikmin

Geno
Move Set: Based off SMRPG for SNES
Final Smash: Geno Whirl

Mega Man
Final Smash: Rush Super Adaptor

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Has to be the returning stages for me. Not the fact that some franchises didn't get new stages, but that they picked bad ones to return.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Too many veteran stages (basically a horrid stage selection).

Loss of Lucas and Wolf (IC too, but they were understandable to an extent).

Very uncreative clones.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
hmm...

- no ice climbers or lucas
- lack of/ Order of unlockables ( why are the third parties, clones like toon link and OP newcomers like robin and palutena BUT have too work for wario and ness)
- lack of modes

i get that smash 3ds is an appetizer for wii u but there's a lack of alot.

Kukulza

Smash Apprentice
How safe rolls feel, holy cow. I seem to be in the minority, but overall the games feel SUPER long with an emphasis on defense.

I'll wait for the Wii U version, but I'm getting the exact same feeling I had the first time I played Brawl. I don't know if the game really is better or if the love for this game is coming from a new generation that never really played melee at a high level. Call me a snobby melee purist (I probably am one) but overall I am more disappointed than excited.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
-Lucas being cut
-Dark Pit
-Wario losing half of his palette swaps from Brawl, and having most of them be replaced with some bad ones
-Some of Villager's female alts (the ones with the weird ponytail hair: they're just flat out ugly imo)
-Most of the roster being available from the start
-Just about all characters can be unlocked just by playing through classic mode
-The new Final Destination theme

Last edited:

DownWitDaWaveDash

Smash Apprentice
The final destination theme. So far I believe the 3DS only has 2 songs for FD. The 3ds/WiiU theme is utterly weak, then they have a remixed Melee FD that overpowers brawls epic FD theme.

I really was looking forward to that FD song. I don't mind the Melee one being better, I just had hoped it was the other way around.. Melee still top lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMl_IWNamZI

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I only have one real complaint.

I ****ing hate the black background on the CSS and SSS. Even with all the placement issues and stuff, the fact that the background for the CSS and SSS is black really clashes with the white backgrounds seen everywhere else.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm disappointed in the Ice Climbers being cut. At least they got a trophy, although that reminds you that they were playable in previous games, since they're using their new models and not their 8-bit designs. Hopefully there will be DLC or a patch that adds them once Sakurai and his team finally fix the problem with the 3DS limitations.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
How safe rolls feel, holy cow. I seem to be in the minority, but overall the games feel SUPER long with an emphasis on defense.

I'll wait for the Wii U version, but I'm getting the exact same feeling I had the first time I played Brawl. I don't know if the game really is better or if the love for this game is coming from a new generation that never really played melee at a high level. Call me a snobby melee purist (I probably am one) but overall I am more disappointed than excited.
THIS!!!!!!!

on one side it is very apparent that this is NO WHERE near Melee. or even brawl for that matter.

on the other side im excited and happy about a new smash game and im more then willing support the game so we can possibly get a new game in the future.

im reaaally torn. oh well, Project M part 2 anyone?

DownWitDaWaveDash

Smash Apprentice
You guys aren't serious right? Sure its defensive, but once you get in, combos are ****ing hell.

Anyway I'm disappointed that they lowered the sound effects number from like 150 to 30. Theres that dull thud sound everytime you hit someone

DJ Dong

Smash Cadet
I'd only say this until the edgeguard meta has evolved. I can see some characters having a lot of inclination to go out and do some reaches for the edgeguard. IMO Nintendo's trying to encourage the narrative of physically going out and guarding the edge itself rather than grabbing it and that being the end.
No, I don't mind that. It's cool dude, honest. I wasn't talking about the ledges. But the thing is, it often isn't even worth doing what you're saying BECAUSE the blast zones are so incredibly far out.

Why would you jump offstage and try to hit them further when nothing you do will kill them anyway? I have been watching streams for awhile now and I have spent all day watching a tournament. It's disappointing when someone says "HOLY CRAP THAT RE- oh wait they're living". We aren't being rewarded for going offstage or having good reads. Not immediately anyway, and that makes for a boring game.

It just seems mundane to constantly smack people around at 140%+ for 2 minutes while you try to take a stock off then. i know that personally, I'd be annoyed with it and I can tell that the commentators, viewers, and players are getting annoyed by it. Again, the game is absolutely perfect and everything that I ever could have asked for in a Smash game. The edge mechanics promote skill (as you pointed out) and hamper planking, the better rolls promote reads and mindgames, and the speed promotes hype. But the blast zones just ruin it.

Imagine watching a drag race for 2 minutes (maybe) and then being forced to watch golf for 2-3 minutes. That's what it's like in this game. We need smaller blast box's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom