• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Call for Writers

Call_for_Writersv2.jpg

Ever wanted to join the Smashboards writing team? If so, today’s your lucky day. We’re currently looking for new team members!

Some topics we want to highlight include:
  • Smash 64
  • Melee
  • Brawl
  • Smash Wii U & 3DS
  • Ultimate
  • Other Smash content (Mods, speculation, etc)
  • Nickelodeon: All-Star Brawl 2
  • Rivals of Aether 2
  • Multiversus
  • News on other games(Mostly focused on Nintendo IPs, platform fighters and traditional fighting games)
  • General gaming industry news
The type of articles we publish include, but are not limited to:
  • Tournament previews and results
  • Interviews
  • New (primarily Smash-related) content from various creators
  • Event coverage
  • Discussion pieces (e.g. “What is the future of competitive Smash?”)
  • Editorials
  • Informative pieces (e.g. “The history of Masahiro Sakurai”)
  • Gaming news (Nintendo Directs, announcement of new titles, etc)
The roles open include:
  • Contributor - Someone who wants to write regular articles for the site
  • Guest Contributor - Just one article every now and then
  • Media Team - Helps with graphics and/or the site’s social media
Applicants may specify which role they are looking to apply for.

Frequently asked questions:

What do I get out of it?:

Currently it is an unpaid position. What you do get though is a great opportunity to improve your craft, add resume experience, and the chance to write to a large audience. Many of our writers have broken into the entertainment industry or other jobs, thanks in part to their work on Smashboards.

I have no experience. Should I apply?:

Go for it! Everyone has to start somewhere.

Should I still apply even if I’ve been rejected before?:

Yes! Rejections are not personal here.

Do I HAVE to post monthly/weekly/etc?:

No. We understand that it’s a volunteer position and everyone gets busy. All we ask is that you communicate with us.

If you’re looking for a chance to join the largest Smash-centric publication on the web, please submit an application. We look forward to hearing from you!

Last edited:
Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Apparently I ran up the limit of times I could apply.

Which was... two times? And the last was like 5 years ago :yoshi:

first time i applied i botched the interview. second time they didn't even acknowledge it
They didn't pull a fast one on you though. You failed an interview and then simply got passed over the second time around. Most jobs (at least from my experience) don't contact you just to tell you they're not interested. They only contact the applicants that actually make it to the interview stage.

They didn't pull a fast one on you though. You failed an interview and then simply got passed over the second time around. Most jobs (at least from my experience) don't contact you just to tell you they're not interested. They only contact the applicants that actually make it to the interview stage.
I wasn’t 100% serious

I submitted my application almost as soon as this went up, no feedback yet. I don’t expect much, but I do at least hope I get to do occasional pieces.

I would love to be a writer!
Although more Shortform!
So Guest contributor or Media Team!
Im specialized in Kirby and Zelda!
And when i know a thing i KNOW a Thing!
For Example I know most Npcs in the oracle games almost all link alts from smash!
Im not so good at spelling! But still i think bi could be a great help!

As a 19/20 year old college attendee with nothing better to do, may put a pin on this
I encourage you to submit an app if you haven't. I got involved at around the same age as you and it turned out to be one of my best life decisions.

i'm not falling for this a 3rd time
If you want to be a part of the team and you've improved your writing there's no reason to not. I don't think we sent out any emails during our last call. (to rejected applicants, for the record)

Apparently I ran up the limit of times I could apply.

Which was... two times? And the last was like 5 years ago :yoshi:
Wait, there's a limit? I had no idea lol.

I would love to be a writer!
Although more Shortform!
So Guest contributor or Media Team!
Im specialized in Kirby and Zelda!
And when i know a thing i KNOW a Thing!
For Example I know most Npcs in the oracle games almost all link alts from smash!
Im not so good at spelling! But still i think bi could be a great help!
Please submit an application.

I might apply. Still gotta put some thought into it.

yall still doin them moveset concept articles?
Go for it. Worst that can happen is you get rejected and maybe some feedback.

Last edited:
It's less about fear of rejection and moreso trying to balance a theoretical SB writer job with an internship I'm planning to take over the summer. Plus, I don't really have any examples of article-style writing; It's mostly just moveset concepts, which I don't imagine would get me very far in the process.

It's less about fear of rejection and moreso trying to balance a theoretical SB writer job with an internship I'm planning to take over the summer. Plus, I don't really have any examples of article-style writing; It's mostly just moveset concepts, which I don't imagine would get me very far in the process.
I'd go for it anyways. If you're that uncertain, you can always wait until after the summer.

I encourage you to submit an app if you haven't. I got involved at around the same age as you and it turned out to be one of my best life decisions.

If you want to be a part of the team and you've improved your writing there's no reason to not. I don't think we sent out any emails during our last call. (to rejected applicants, for the record)

I have no discord so i cant!
Im doing it soon but not now!

apparently i'm at the limit

Top Bottom