• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Wii-U 'Big Priority For Namco'

D

Deleted member

@Wario Bros
Metal Gear is different, because Sakurai and Kojima are friends. ;) Also, Metal Gear got initially popular with the original Metal Gear's port from the MSX2 to the NES. Then there was that "spin-off" not known by Kojima on the NES that was popular. :smirk: Also, Ghost Babel, Twin Snakes, and MGS 3DS are also Nintendo-console exclusive Metal Gear titles. :bee:
To be fair, Twin Snakes and Snake Eater 3D were remakes/ports.
But yeah, I understand what you're getting at.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Seriously though, while I would love for Kazuya, Yoshi, Armor King or Lei Wulong to lay the smackdown on Link, I definitely agree that a Tekken character wouldn't really be the best choice for Smash

I want Pac-Man more, anyway

:phone:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One of the Namco heads I forget which doesn't even want tekken characters in unless he feels as if it was necessary by that he means if we request it but he doesn't feel it would mesh well and neither do I
.http://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/10/namco-not-really-sure-if-tekken-characters-will-join-next-super-smash-bros/#comments
One thing I think people are missing from this comment is the whole relation to third parties and Smash. Namco does not see the game as an opportunity to add their characters and is even preventing this. This is the opposite of what a lot of people thing. It doesn't mean there wont be third party characters, but goes back to what I've been saying "They are not a sure thing."

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
shortie brought up Soul Calibur characters, Kuma and Metal Overlord brought up Tekken characters, and Kuma, myself, and others routinely brought up Pac-Man. Honestly though, the problem with Namco Bandai is even though they got some good characters from Tekken, Soul Calibur, Tales, etc, Pac-Man is just all-consuming, and so much more popular.
I'd say that you guys brought Namco up as much as I brought up Temco, which was pretty rare. And even when you guys (including me with Temco) did, none of us ever really took it seriously/cared or believed it could happen like Capcom or Square.

Toise summed it up well (in the old disscussion group):

*** Namco Bandai ***

I don't see this company being too interested despite having plenty to work with, kind of the inverse of Tecmo Koei. That's all I got because I don't care.

D

Deleted member

One thing I think people are missing from this comment is the whole relation to third parties and Smash. Namco does not see the game as an opportunity to add their characters and is even preventing this. This is the opposite of what a lot of people thing. It doesn't mean there wont be third party characters, but goes back to what I've been saying "They are not a sure thing."
Except this is directly related to Tekken characters.
It was never said that they didn't want to include someone like Pac-Man instead.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm glad that Namco are going to putting a lot of effort into this I think I'll be a good opportunity for them to work on something new and at the same time let them breath some of their ideas into the Smash Bros franchise as well, as they've been doing the fighting game thing for years now. Not the same as Smash mind you but they know a few things about different modes and ideas that could be brought over to the smash series. As well as they'll certainly be able to help on the balancing for the upcoming Smash Bros so Meta Knight might not be the 'Ol Demi god that he was lol. And honestly having a big team working on Smash means a shorter wait time. Which is nice.

Also ya I don't think any Tekken characters should be in brawl Namco Bandai have a lot more characters out there that would be better suited to the Smash Bros series than any of their Tekken characters.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Anything but Tekken 4 Yoshimitsu. I'll gladly take Xiaoyu, King, or Jin for a Tekken character.

shortie brought up Soul Calibur characters, Kuma and Metal Overlord brought up Tekken characters, and Kuma, myself, and others routinely brought up Pac-Man. Honestly though, the problem with Namco Bandai is even though they got some good characters from Tekken, Soul Calibur, Tales, etc, Pac-Man is just all-consuming, and so much more popular.
Lol.

I've only brought up Pacman as a possibility. I think he would be a boring character unless they can do something neat with dots.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
As long as it's the Tekken 3 version and not the Tekken 4 version, lol

Tekken 3 is probably his most popular version aesthetically, but I've always been a fan of Soul Calibur II Yoshimitsu, due to it being one of the most popular Gamecube games, the game selling the most in its Gamecube incarnation from what I recall, the game being the best received of its series, Link's appearance in the game, and the full-blooded Samurai-Robin Hood look he has in the game. His other costumes could easily be included knowing the team at the helm of the game, but I feel that his primary appearance and most memorable on for Nintendo fans is his violet garb.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Nes stuff from Harada:

NG: As you said earlier, Namco will be working with Nintendo on the next Smash Bros. game and, from what we understand, some of the Tekken team will be working on the game. Can you assure some of our more concerned readers that Super Smash Bros. 4 is in good hands?

KH: Well I guess the main point is that obviously the director is still Sakurai-san and he’ll still obviously be the lead on the project. But as far as staff on our side at Namco Bandai, I guess our foreign fans are excited about the involvement of Tekken staff but if you look at it in general, including Japan, a lot of the staff involved have been known for working on many famous titles throughout our line-up both past and present, and these are all individuals who have worked directly in the development teams on various projects and have a lot of experience in their respective fields. So I think that it’s safe to say we can expect a really good title to come out of that.

yani

Smash Lord
Just saw that a few minutes ago, I'll add to the OP when I'm on my computer :bee: thanks!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I excited to see the product of all this intense NamcoBandaiSakurai collaboration. I think this could very well be a step in the right direction for the series.

D

Deleted member

I think your missing the big picture.
And I think you're looking too far into it.
Namco saying that there are unsure Tekken would be a good fit for Smash does not translate to them not caring about having one of their own reps, nor does it translate to ANY OTHER 3rd Party company.

What it means is what it says "Tekken may not be a good fit for Smash".
We already knew that 3rd Parties aren't a sure thing, but what Harada said doesn't add to that fact at all.

It's like hearing "the sky is blue" and trying to make it seem like it also means "anything that falls from the sky will be blue" or some other crap like that.

Tr;dr: Not everything has some double meaning attatched.

jadv004

Smash Rookie
I wonder if Tekken developers will influence the pace of the game!?!?!? =D Everybody was thrown off guard when Brawl appeared slower than Melee....

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wonder if Tekken developers will influence the pace of the game!?!?!? =D Everybody was thrown off guard when Brawl appeared slower than Melee....
The pace could be changed in a vary of ways. The footsies game may be greatly altered, the combo system works similarly, yet very differently, blocking may work differently, etc. All those kind of things could affect the pace of the game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
And I think you're looking too far into it.
Namco saying that there are unsure Tekken would be a good fit for Smash does not translate to them not caring about having one of their own reps, nor does it translate to ANY OTHER 3rd Party company.

What it means is what it says "Tekken may not be a good fit for Smash".
We already knew that 3rd Parties aren't a sure thing, but what Harada said doesn't add to that fact at all.

It's like hearing "the sky is blue" and trying to make it seem like it also means "anything that falls from the sky will be blue" or some other crap like that.

Tr;dr: Not everything has some double meaning attatched.
You still don't see what I'm saying and you focus on your points as opposed to what I'm actually saying.

Here is what is going on. People see Namco working on this game that Namco characters are getting in. Bu the people behind the scenes are even preventing their characters from being in.

It means that just because Namco is working on the game it does not mean they are adding in Namco characters. It also means third parties are not guaranteed. Characters are not added for the sake of adding them.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know a ton about Tekken, but if they are going to add a character it should be one with some weird power. Thats the thing that gives smash its feel. Snake felt out of place because of all the things he used and them actually being real (to an extent) Marth and Ike have things like fire surrounding their blade or color changing that make them not seem as real. Zero suit has that weird lazer gun whip thing, but she also felt out of place. IMO she was a boring character though. Yoshimitsu could fit, with the poison breath, sword pogo stick, and all his various spins. Question then would just be art style.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know a ton about Tekken, but if they are going to add a character it should be one with some weird power. Thats the thing that gives smash its feel. Snake felt out of place because of all the things he used and them actually being real (to an extent) Marth and Ike have things like fire surrounding their blade or color changing that make them not seem as real. Zero suit has that weird lazer gun whip thing, but she also felt out of place. IMO she was a boring character though. Yoshimitsu could fit, with the poison breath, sword pogo stick, and all his various spins. Question then would just be art style.
I don't think I understand what out mean by out of place I felt snake blended in perfectly especially the codecs on shadow mosses island they took awhile but I've finally seen them all:) anyways I don't believe every character in smash needs to be cartoonish or funny looking to be in but I don't want fighting game characters in with the exception of little Mac
The main reason I believe people played smash to begin with is to see how they're favorite non fighting characters could square off against each other like who could win in a fight Mario or Kirby.

Personally I believe once you add one fighting game character people will expect more and more untill they don't even want smash bro anymore they want super street fighting tenkaichi x tekken deluxe bros.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that once you let one fighting character on from a popular genre idiots from all over will want ryu and goku because if character x was in why can't z be in it then reviewers will mark the games down it's a steady slope :(

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, seeing as Namco-Bandai is developing the game, wouldn't it be possible that they're entitled to more than one rep? Why choose between Pac-Man or Heihachi when you can have both? Honestly, if they manage to throw in KOS-MOS in there, that would be the cherry on the sundae as far as I'm concerned.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
Set your expectations very very low until more info is known.
EXPECT =/= WANT

I expect another 3rd party character. I really don't want them though, snake and sonic are my limits. If a 3rd party makes it in I would expect Pac-Man simply because he's a major icon of the video game world and fits smash's style, and with namco working on the game I would expect it would be much easier to get the rights for him. Nothing to do with owing anyone anything - just because pacman is an iconic character and the main barrier preventing him from getting in before has been removed.

I do not want pac-man or any more 3rd parties. I just think they're likely. I suspect other people feel the same way as I do.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
You should really just play the safe game and expect the worst until you hear otherwise on the progress of the game.

I don't have that mentality for everything, but for the absolutely unknown, it's the one true path to follow. When news comes, you can either be ready for it, or positively surprised by it, which is in my eyes, always a good thing.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Or you can just not set your expectations anywhere, cause you know, assuming isn't cool.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
You should really just play the safe game and expect the worst until you hear otherwise on the progress of the game.

I don't have that mentality for everything, but for the absolutely unknown, it's the one true path to follow. When news comes, you can either be ready for it, or positively surprised by it, which is in my eyes, always a good thing.
I am expecting the worst. Pac-man would be the worst

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I say Pacman is the most oblivious addition to the roster, he is a gaming icon and will fit right in with the rest of the cast. I can see his final smash being turning everyone to ghost and he has to eat them to ko them

yani

Smash Lord
Harada speaks!

Harada said:
“Obviously people are saying many things since we are developing the next Smash Bros. We’re very excited that Nintendo chose us, and most they likely did because Namco Bandai has a very good track record with fighting games such as the Tekken series. We have a lot of experience and knowledge regarding this particular genre, that’s probably one of the factors in their decision. That being said, although we’ll help provide support on technology and other things involved creating the game, I’m currently very focused on the Tekken series. Some people might say online that I’m going to be involved in the development process or not but that shouldn’t really be an issue because the game design is going to be handled Masahiro Sakurai. So I don’t understand why there would be any worries there.

“I mentioned in a past interview recently that the Tekken characters are something that maybe long time fans of the Smash Bros. series don’t really expect, so maybe they won’t be in there. The feedback was very mixed, there were 2 camps, one said ‘Harada, you’re very right, we don’t need the Tekken characters in Smash Bros, good job.’ It’s nice that they agree with me but on the other hand, they themselves don’t exactly need Tekken characters in Smash Bros. so it’s kind of complex. Then there’s the other half were people saying ‘No you’re totally wrong, we want Tekken and Soul Calibur characters in the game otherwise why does it need to be developed be Namco Bandai’ so there’s really two different sides and it’s difficult to choose one. Obviously I’m not going to say to Sakurai, ‘We want Tekken characters, please put it in’ that’s not the case so people don’t have to worry about that. The sole decision will probably be made in a way that if more people want Tekken characters in it then Sakurai might choose to do so, if not then so be it.”
Source

I'll put this in the OP too.

Really good to see he isn't going to push for Tekken/Soul Calibur characters. Really good.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I still would like Tekken characters in. I'd prefer Heihachi over Jin unless Xiaoyu was added.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Yoshimitsu or Heihachi would be my personal preference.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yoshimitsu would be the best pick really. Ten bucks he'd get either his Tag 2 look or something entirely new.

Top Bottom