• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Kirby Tips From Pink Reaper

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Well, Im bored so I guess I'll just dispense some random tips upon the Kirby Boards.

Neutral B in the Air

No, this is not a joke. Kirby's inhale is a move that is often only used for an attempted swallowcide or for the occasional useful Copy move. However it can actually be a useful tool for dealing quick, difficult to punish damage on certain foes. Kirby's inhale has grab priority, meaning that it out prioritizes alot of random moves. While it loses some priority in the air it retains enough to beat things like Falcon's Knee, Mario's Fair, Peach's Bair among others. From there it's just a matter of choosing if the opponent should be copied or Star Shot but either way you've just dealt a quick bit of damage, will probably go unpunished for it and possibly threw your opponent off balance.

Aerial Inhale can also work to beat almost anything any opponent(other than marth >_>) can throw at you if you start before they attack. Once the inhale hitbox is out(assuming you've jumped forward) you're basically just a moving ball of grab and because you're opponent can't out speed a move that's already out almost anything they try will fail. Aerial Inhale approaching is a good way to beat CC spammers like Samus or Peach because, once again, it's a free hit they can't stop by CCing and can't punish.

Swallowcide Recovery

One of the few things even experienced players might not know is that there is a way to maximize Kirby's jump height and thus make Swallowcide Recovery easier. When you swallowcide cancel an opponent you often have to have all of most of your jumps to recover, but you can make things easier by using the Control Stick to jump rather than the the X/Y buttons. Swallowcide Cancel normally by jumping with the button as you normally would then hold up as you jump. It's that simple. Control Stick jumping happens on the first possible frame AFTER you've reached maximum height from your last jump. The small amount of extra height you get may save you if you're down a jump on FD(or even down two jumps on Battlefield)

Jump Wasting/Size Reduction

This one is something that alot of players use but may not even realize that they're doing it. As Kirby(and Jigglypuff technically) jumps he deflates a bit losing size. This can actually be useful for recovering as Kirby's sweetspot is rather small meaning that at full size he is more susceptible to edgeguarding than he is on his last two jumps. The idea is to get close to the edge against a foe like Marth who would rather use his huge range on stage for an edge guard rather than an edge hog and simply waste a few jumps just below the ledge making yourself smaller and then grabbing the ledge when your hitbox is smaller. I tend to turn around in mid air and spam Bair while wasting my jumps as a way to discourage my opponent from attempting to just jump out at me then turn around on my second to last jump and grab the ledge with my last. This is actually a very dangerous way of recovering, but it can yield good results against an opponent who prefers to play safe rather than aggressive.

All's Fair

Something else I've been using recently is an odd kind of Edge Guarding with the Fair. The idea with this one is to intercept a recovery like Falco's or Ganon's with the second kick of the Fair, fast fall so the third doesn't hit(and you get just slightly below them) turnaround jump and Bair them(or don't turnaround and Uair them) The idea is that the small added damage+the extra power of the Bair/Uair over the Fair will gain you the guarantee you the kill. Against characters like Peach and Samus(who are ******** hard for Kirby to kill) you can Fair, fall, Double Jump Dair, using the Fair hitstun to make the Dair easier to hit with(and once again added damage is always good) Or, if you're crazy, you can go for Fair->Swallowcide but this is only advisable if you're at a stock advantage or are on a stage where you don't need all your jumps to recover.

Im sure im forgetting some random crap and if I think of it I'll add it here, but for now, I give you, random kirby ****.

HiIH

Smash Lord
....That all seems pretty useful.

I'll have to try it the next time I play as Kirby.

Top Bottom