• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

| Queensland Smash Meets | Meet @ Bob's house this weekend |

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Vyse City (or anyone else for that matter) , if there is a meet on this weekend, can you tell me, by messege if nessasary?
I'll give you 25 cents to cover the messege, add another 10 for the time to put it in. :bee:
Yes, I really want to come with you guys to Sydney, we need to organize it sometime! :confused:

OK, for anyone who wants it!

Friday Night Games!

Where? My place, Hillcrest 4118, near Browns Plains.
Phone 0448 993 598 (call or text whatever is easier) for exact address, half of you have been before anyway!

When:Right now fools! Until whenever you want or if i get really sick of yas. :embarrass

What: Smash (All forms of the game are welcome) and N64 should get a go, considering the amount of excitement being batted around lately. In future editions, i'd like to play cricket before it gets dark, IF people get here in time and actually wanna play.

Who: D.J Cat, Paff, Bluey so far.

I'll pick people up from station/s bus stops if need be, just ask.

So, as Elvis would say, a little less conversation a little more action, GO!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
DON'T COME UPDATE

Syke is going to make up the forth scat man of the QLD 4 man Hostel room.
We can upgrade it to 6 man, but I need to know who wants to do what.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Lul, best photos ever.

I think you should give more notice, Bob. d:

Zac's going to Don't Come?
Awesome.
I get his house to myself.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Either way, I'm going to be making the booking either Saturday or Sunday, so if you want in, tell me over MSN, or here or text me.

KamiStriker

Smash Journeyman
Godly abilities at smash confirmed.
Lol Zac Lachlan isn't even that Godly at smash... My falco could beat him any day. By the way if you didn't realize I am his brother and I think I would know =D. I should go over to Michael's some time so that you can confirm my Godly abilities...

KamiStriker

Smash Journeyman
Lol really now? Have you even seen me play... Also now your saying that Lachlan does fail? I thought you were confirming him before...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Doug/Ryan:

Okay well plans of a smash meet have failed for the weekend, unless you wanna head out to bob's. Or if we go to ryan's or something >.>

Anyway, since my parents don't want me playing with Pay Pal, I'm going to be sorting out a debit card tommorow to pay for everything. That's the airfares and the hostel booking.

At the very least I'm going to sort out the hostel booking myself. Ryan, if you want me to book your return ticket with Doug and me, I'll need to get ur moneh. It's just the airfare that I'm worried about at the moment, since the Hostel booking is just a 10% deposit.

Either way, I plan to sort everything out tommorow.
Also Doug, my Infinite Ryvius Boxset has arrived, meaning your Airgear probably has too.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Because Paypal is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Dangerous.

You could just not tell them you have one.

TimmyV

Smash Rookie
As if Lachlan is pro. Carlisle and I beat him all the time. His TL fails against pretty much anyone. In Melee, he beats his brother's Falco about 20% of the time. Yeah, he fails.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
rumors of second season... (even if i am the one that started the rumor =P)
i picked up reading the manga so yeah but action manga can be hard to read at times, esspecially with the randomness of anime.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Andy I was saying that me and Zac were being sarcastic about how Lachlan was good at Smash.
It's a shame that no one can see sarcasm lest you make it blatantly obvious. =/

Bob I don't think that I'll be going anywhere next week to do with games/Smash, sorry.

What the fack is TimmyV? o:

Andyy need to make you good at Meleeee...
But can't
be
fffooohhhkkk'ddd.

Azure Rune

Smash Journeyman

Lol, rumor my ***. If a second season is on the way then it's news to me. Manga goes way past where the anime ended so it's definitly worth a look into.

**** straight Air Gear rocks :p

Paff

Smash Journeyman
More stage stuff.

@Jungle Japes:
So I've been doing some playing on Jungle Japes, and the klaptrap interferes a lot more than I remembered. As I've stated before, I don't consider the water to be a problem, since it's easy to work with, but I think the randomness and deadliness of the klaptrap might be enough to make Jungle Japes unworthy of being a starter - people should probably not randomly lose a stock here and there during the first match of a set.

Of course, it's somewhat controllable - if you don't do anything in the water or the air below the main platforms, you won't get killed by the klaptrap, but it's not really reasonable to expect people to never end up down there, so I think probably it would be best if Jungle Japes were moved back to counterpick. Possibly banned, if we're being hardcore about randomness.

@The Summit:
DJ Cat has brought up the possibility of moving The Summit to counterpick. I just checked the SBR's reasoning for banning it, and they list two reasons for banning it:
1. It has no grabbable edges.
2. It has a one-hit-KO hazard.
In my opinion, 1 is just a balance-changer, which doesn't matter when one considers that no stages are neutral anyway. 2, I presume, refers to the fish. However, the fish is predictable, and in my experience can be avoided most of the time, if not all of the time, by jumping before it gets you. So, I guess I'm in favor of moving The Summit to counterpick.

@Green Greens:
Green Greens is supposedly good against Meta Knight (for Peach, anyway [I'm not actively trying to throw in bias towards my characters, but obviously I check the Peach and ZSS boards and obviously they discuss which stages to use as counterpicks against certain characters]). Supposedly the bomb blocks are difficult to avoid for Meta Knight when he uses his B moves, and the close deathlines on all sides hose his recovery and gimping.

Praxis has made multiple rants as to why it's definitely not ban-worthy, and I think the argument is strong enough to consider it starter-worthy:
1. The walls are destructable, which means wall infinites have to be ridiculously well-spaced or else the infinite's attack will destroy the wall and end the infinite. (Aside from infinite grabs, but we have the Dedede rule, and we're allowing Corneria's wall, so...)
2. The bomb-spawning is fairly predictable, in that blocks will only spawn for a given column when the top block of that column has been destroyed.
So the randomness is very limited for those who understand how the stage works, and the walls are less-bad than most walls in terms of lame infinites. I think Green Greens is a good candidate for starter.

@Yoshi's Island Melee:
I hear this is a good anti-Meta-Knight counterpick. I suppose it has something to do with the close deathlines. And although I'm not a particular fan of this stage, it doesn't seem to me like it has anything overly crazy as compared to the current starter stages, so I think it has the potential to be starter-worthy.

@potential criteria for starters:
- fits all requirements for counterpick
- should have very little, if any, random effect on the outcome of the match
- the pool of starter stages, taken as a whole, should be as balanced amongst the characters as possible

@potential criteria for counterpick:
- should not have massive random effects on the outcome of the match
- should not encourage tactics that hurt gameplay
- should not have practical problems in terms of running a tournament
- should not be a really terrible level

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
@potential criteria for starters:
- fits all requirements for counterpick
- should have very little, if any, random effect on the outcome of the match
- the pool of starter stages, taken as a whole, should be as balanced amongst the characters as possible
l

^^ None of the Metroid levels fits that so none can be starters. The Flip and Lava both are random effects that can change the outcome of a match.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
@ booker - man you hate the metroid levels, the effects aren't random. On frigate an alarm sounds and on brinstar the lava slowly rises

I think they should both be starter for at least one tourney then we can reassess after that

@ paff - i was under the impression gg was a counterpick i wouldn't object to it being a starter at least for one tourney

@ everyone - i got a new phone so txt me your numbers and name

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
Alright Ben for you at Redcliffe 2. We will have your Metroid levels as starters and all these ones we are talking about. How does that sound?

Paff

Smash Journeyman
@Booker:
The flip on Frigate Orpheon isn't random at all, it's just a dangerous feature of the level that players need to learn how to avoid. The only parts that might be random are the up-and-down moving platform's timing, and the side moving platforms' timing, but that's also generally pretty easy to deal with, and I might just not have learned their timing yet.

Brinstar is slightly more random, in that it can be tricky sometimes to guess where the lava's going to go, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem once one has played on the stage enough.

@Scrubs:
Yeah, it was a counterpick in the Queensland ruleset. The SBR has it as counter/banned, is why I mentioned the banned business. I suppose I should have made that clearer.

MaCa

Smash Cadet
@Jungle Japes:if you don't do anything in the water or the air below the main platforms, you won't get killed by the klaptrap, but it's not really reasonable to expect people to never end up down there
a klaptrap once jumped right through the middle of stage and KO'd me. i kid you not. he jumped almost to the height of the 3rd platform. that stage is dangerous business if you don't watch those rapids, which is stupid because the klaptraps don't come often yet they are totally lethal and you don't want to have to constantly stay frosty for them

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Japes:
I'd also vote Japes be placed into Counter Pick
Another problem with Japes, is that its ceiling is incredibly high.
Also, the water is more of a problem than people give credit for.
Falco pretty much dominates this stage, it's insane.
- Counter Pick

Summit:

A lack of ledges ending with a OHKO is pure BS against tether characters.
Throw in slippery surfaces, and a loop for legit stalling, AND the stage's physics change the whole game during the freefall change.
- Banned

Green Greens:

I actually think it'd be very easy for at least Dedede to get a REALLY lame infinite on this stage. Think about it. Camp in middle, shield grab opponent, Chainthrow to wall, GG.
That being said, this stage doesn't seem that broken.
And THAT being said, neither does Japes, and Japes doesn't even have walls.
- Counter Pick

Yoshi's Island (Melee):

Has a walkoff.
- Counter Pick.

KamiStriker

Smash Journeyman
Okay sorry if this sounds really noobish but I have only been to a few tournaments. Is Dedede's infinite on walls banned completely and if you use it, its the opponents win. Can you do it to a certain percent and is Dedede banned from all stages with walk off edges or walls. Also what happens if they pick a stage like that and you are Dedede?

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Okay sorry if this sounds really noobish but I have only been to a few tournaments. Is Dedede's infinite on walls banned completely and if you use it, its the opponents win. Can you do it to a certain percent and is Dedede banned from all stages with walk off edges or walls. Also what happens if they pick a stage like that and you are Dedede?
It isn't banned completely...

DDD is banned on stages that have a permanent wall e.g. Corneria, Shadow Moses, etc...

DDD is also banned on stages with permanent walk off edges e.g. Eldin, Mario Circuit

however

DDD is allowed on stages that have walls or walk off edges in transition e.g. Pokemon Stadium 1, Delphino Plaza, Castle Siege etc....

This is because it is feasible that someone could avoid a grab from DDD during the time the stage is in that form....

If you are DDD and someone picks a banned stage it is allowed to be played...

Also its is completely allowed in Teams.... Your partner should come save you from the CG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom