• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
I dont think mewtwo could be a viable leftovers user, considering the fact hes got pretty bad defense.
Plus a focus sash would give time to use calm mind in case mewtwos cornered with a bug or ghost type
also whats the difference between the shell bell and leftovers?
also brave bird is on platinum for ho-oh, just go to one of the move tutors

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
1. Mewtwo isn't going to get OHKO'd by much, so Focus Sash isn't going to help at all. Calm Mind will give him amazing Special defense, and he can outspeed and kill many Physical attackers. In the long run, Leftovers will help you survive any problematic hits, and you'll live longer. 106/90/90 defenses are by no means too bad to run lefties. Even Smogon puts Lefties on Mewtwo a lot.
2. Shell bell heals you ONLY when you attack, and it varies depending on how much damage you do. Leftovers is a more consistant form of recovery.
3. Theres no Move Tutor for Brave Bird in Platinum.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Shell Bell is good if you're playing with Item Clause.

Which no one does.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
really? i thought the guy above the survival area taught it in exchange for shards.
and oh..... thanks for the tip on shellbells:p
when i used a mewtwo i always got 1HKOED by my freinds darkrai with dark pulse
but how am i gonna get all those leftovers?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
n00b question and Ill probably get gang banged for asking this, but:

What is EV training? I hear people talking about it all the time and I know other terms, but I don't know specifically what exactly EV training is...

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo

What is EV training? I hear people talking about it all the time and I know other terms, but I don't know specifically what exactly EV training is...
Dude, Evs are one of the most complex things in pokemon.
Untill you know what it is, it makes no sense.
http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml
this should help.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~

EV = Effort Value

Really simplified; EVs help boost a Pokemon's stat if you've EV trained in that category.

-Terywj

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Dude, Evs are one of the most complex things in pokemon.
Untill you know what it is, it makes no sense.
http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml
this should help.
EVs are EXTREMELY simple. EVs are just something that you look at once and then can perfectly understand from that point forward.

The most complex thing in Pokemon is probably Damage Calculations, and we have calculators for that soooooo XD

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Depends on how fast you can run a calc. / how important it may be for you to know this situation.
When it gets down to the wire I sometimes run calcs in order to see what's my shot at surviving / being KO'd by such and such.

Or it you're untimed, go for it. :)

-Terywj

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
There is almost no reason to ever not run calcs. I do it all the time.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Basically what the people above me said. So long as you have the time, it's basically always in your favor to run a calc. And usually you have enough time in a match to do so, so I would say you should run calcs as often as you can.

The difference between Adamant and Jolly could be what wins you the game. You never really know.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
Q: What are the requirements for being a poke researcher? I like to pride myself on my knowledge of most things in-game (I'm nowhere near conceited enough to consider I know everything), but believed my lack of knowledge of the Shoddy metagame and experience in competitive battling in general would be too detrimental to my chances of being accepted.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
You need to be able to know how to request to join the group. :)

Not to sound offensive, but Spire doesn't even PLAY Pokemon anymore and he's a Researcher.

-Terywj

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
It's something vague like "be a valuable contributer to the Poké Center".

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
that's pretty awesome actually.

Q: What is the viability of a mixed-agility set on pokemon with two high attacking stats like Blaziken, Lucario, Dragonite, etc. in OU?

Just a theory question, since I've honestly never run into one, though one might look something like this:

Lucario @ Life Orb
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
68 Atk/188 Spe/252 SAtk
Close Combat
Agility
Dark Pulse
HP Ice

Speed would let it outspeed +1 110s after agility, making it a nice potential late-game cleaner on a more defensive team, as no commonly-used priority (short of mach punch breloom/infernape) would be able to stop you (and that's really only after a couple LO recoils, as both are doing roughly 82% max with their standard sets), and nothing is EVER faster than a scarf latias, which this luc could clean up on if it's been forced to switch into rocks twice and one turn of sandstorm.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Problem is that it's inferior to standard SD Lucario. You can't hit that hard; Electivire can hit lots of stuff super effectively, but that doesn't mean a KO.

Also Intimidate juggling.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
well, that's actually the main point I wanted to bring up through that question: what defines an inferior set, and why is outspeeding a counter considered inferior to greater damage potential?

If you were to build a stallish team that was set upon weakening lucario's primary counters to the point where they could be outsped and swept by a mixed (or an all special/all physical for the sake of argument) agility set, is it really possible to say that the SD set is automatically superior to an alternative set?

Yes, in most cases SD's damage potential is much, MUCH higher, but that isn't the goal of an agility set: its goal is to beat those counters which the standard SD set loses to. Sure, it can't muscle its way through defensive rotom, but it'll shred through a scarfed Rotom-H (89% minimum with dark pulse) and automatically OHKO all non-yache gliscor, scarfed flygon(other dragons), etc. It can also still deal with scarfed Latias assuming it comes in on rocks twice without having to rely on a +2 extremespeed (the fact that latias can be trapped and pursuited being ignored just because it's a setup opportunity for the opponent, lol). Basically the only reason I suggested close combat over aura sphere is just so it can muscle through blissey if it comes to it. Setup is similar (come in on a resisted hit and threaten a setup), but agility sets in general allow the users to beat their counters (who either rely on outspeeding or a priority move to beat those pokemon). It's the same argument for something like agility zapdos, who has a field day after blissey is gone or weakened (or with toxic spikes out on the field): why go for increased damage when those pokemon already have the type coverage to straight-up beat their existing counters?

supermarth64

Smash Ace
Basically, you need a LOT of residual damage to take down bulky Water-type Pokemon like Swampert and Suicune. I've tried that set before and managed to do 40% with Close Combat to Swampert, which means that you'd need a lot of Spikes/Roaring. It'd be more efficient to use a Ttar lure to take out Rotom-H and Gliscor.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
well, that's actually the main point I wanted to bring up through that question: what defines an inferior set
Inferior set: a set which in the majority of cases damages the opponent the least.
why is outspeeding a counter considered inferior to greater damage potential?
It doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't KO stuff.
If you were to build a stallish team that was set upon weakening lucario's primary counters to the point where they could be outsped and swept by a mixed (or an all special/all physical for the sake of argument) agility set, is it really possible to say that the SD set is automatically superior to an alternative set?
Well, let's put it on equal terms. A team based around a SD Lucario sweep will generally be more successful than a team based around an Agility Lucario sweep.

Yes, in most cases SD's damage potential is much, MUCH higher, but that isn't the goal of an agility set: its goal is to beat those counters which the standard SD set loses to. Sure, it can't muscle its way through defensive rotom, but it'll shred through a scarfed Rotom-H (89% minimum with dark pulse) and automatically OHKO all non-yache gliscor, scarfed flygon(other dragons), etc. It can also still deal with scarfed Latias assuming it comes in on rocks twice without having to rely on a +2 extremespeed (the fact that latias can be trapped and pursuited being ignored just because it's a setup opportunity for the opponent, lol).
Yay, you can kill Scarf Rotom and Gliscor. But can you kill Gyarados / Jolteon / Starmie / Scizor / lots of other Pokemon?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Huh. Well it shows his last activity was today. So he must've not checked the Pokemon Researcher group up until today, because I think Spired sent a request to join before today, which would only make sense.

-Terywj

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Yeah I noticed that too. Well the other head of the Researchers is Jesiah, and I have absolutely no idea on where he is.

He hasn't been taken off the Staff list though.

-Terywj

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Huh. Now we basically have nobody leading the Researchers or at least someone to accept the incoming Researcher requests.

I'm talking to Chibo about it though.

-Terywj

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
Umbreon probably either hasn't been checking it or just hasn't been on.

-Terywj
I doubt it unless the application has to be dealt with within a certain amount of time (a day maybe?) because I checked the Group Memberships page the day after I applied and it no longer said that I was trying to join.

EDIT: And I agree with supermarth about Tery being head of poke researchers.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'm honored guys, but why not someone like Chibo, WouW or Spire? They have the leadership aura / potential.

(And Spire is the leader here after all)

-Terywj

supermarth64

Smash Ace
Quick Stall (at least in Ubers) uses fast Pokemon like Shaymin-S, Jumpluff and Mewtwo to stall out your opponent. Skymin and Jumpluff can use the Leech Seed + Substitute tactic, while Mewtwo can use a set of Taunt / WoW or Toxic / Recover / Light Screen or Amnesia to stall your opponent to death.

Semistall is... idk. All I got from it is stalling components with offensive revenge killers. For example, it might include Skarmory / Blissey / Scarftar or Scarfrachi.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Quick Stall seems... stupid. It's just basically fast stall Pokemon?

I read a thread on Smogon about semistall, except it didn't say what semistall is. There was an example team, that basically looked like a standard balanced team.

Top Bottom