• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Princess Peach Video Laboratory

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I have always considered watching videos an extremely important part in getting better in Super Smash Bros.

Living in a state where I don’t get that much practice against top level players, I needed to find a way to improve without necessarily playing the game.

Through watching videos of myself and others, I learned more about my habits, picked up other tricks from Peach players, gained an understanding of unfamiliar matchups, and I benefited from this new knowledge just by watching videos.

On top of this, I found a couple of personal techniques that I believe pushed me over the edge to become a higher level player.

The first technique is what I call subconscious learning.

Basically I would watch a video and rather than make note of every single thing that happened in the match, I would just sit back and absorb what was going on.

I first noticed the benefits of this technique when I was first getting better in Melee. Back in the summer of 2009 when I decided to play competitively with Princess Peach in both games, I found my new Smash Idol, Armada. His Peach was on a whole other level than the rest. I instantly fell in love and watched tons of his videos in an attempt to emulate his style.

In the course of a couple of months, I found my Peach doing things I never thought I could do before. Not only that, but I was doing some of these things without thinking about it. The things I learned by just watching videos (some of the same ones more than once) were trickling into my gameplay. Take note on the fact that during this time I wasn’t watching videos with the intention of understanding why Armada did the things he did, but just to know how to do things he did.

For the subsequent months of my improvement, I began to combine this method with a more logical approach to watching video by trying to understand the deeper things occurring in matches from both players, the baiting, conditioning, and other facets of combat. I noticed considerable improvement in both Melee and Brawl.

When I went to WHOBO 3, I had the opportunity to sit down with Razmakazi and watch videos my last night when I stayed at Sync’s place. Rich Brown, Logic, Ally, Coney, Inui, Shugo, Aposl, and Tyrant were all playing doubles so Raz and I decided to watch some recent videos of his Peach vs. MVD. We ended up watching his whole set and I was happy to say we had a very good session discussing what was going on in the match. We even watched a little bit of Illmatic vs. Shlike before we decided to go and play some doubles ourselves.

I thought it was extremely beneficial for both Raz and I when we dissected his matches, paused at different parts and brainstormed different ways to handle a situation, and giving general tips about techniques/matchups.

So I made this thread to stress the importance of watching videos. But I also wanted to continue what Raz and I were doing.

I don’t know if there is a better website for this kind of thing, but I found this website:

http://www.watchitoo.com

This website allows for people to meet together online and watch the same video. I could link us to youtube videos of different Peach players and we could all discuss it together in one place!

I want to host weekly meetings with top Peach players, but others are welcome of course, to discuss videos together and try to learn new things and improve altogether.

After these weekly meetings, I would post the main points of our discussion for others to learn from.

Maybe we could post it in Nicole's new thread:
Critical analytical extra-good video matchup thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301381

What do you guys think??

<3

:peach:

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I agree. It's something we all need to work on, myself included. We desperately need new footage for 2011, we have some nasty Peach players doing work right now!! :D

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
great idea.. the watchit website looks cool.

to Nicole's thread!

Nicole

Smash Champion
yeah that looks cool kyle! i will record a couple videos of me playing against olimar, cause i think we have like 0 good videos of that and we lose to olimar more than we should.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I think I'm pretty good at fighting Olimar, so I'm definitely down to help you once you get a few recordings up. Btw Nicole, you need to accept my friend request on Facebook still!! <3

Nicole

Smash Champion
oh sorry kyle. i get alot of friend requests on facebook so i end up ignoring most of them cause i dont know the people's real name and they dont leave me any kind of indication of who they are. however i will actually look for you and add you.

Metatitan

Smash Master
oh sorry kyle. i get alot of friend requests on facebook so i end up ignoring most of them cause i dont know the people's real name and they dont leave me any kind of indication of who they are. however i will actually look for you and add you.

Miss Popular here..... :p

Are you going to Genesis Nicole?

Nicole

Smash Champion
yeah meta i'm PROBABLY going to genesis, i'm not 100% yet but i really want to and probably will

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
yeah. b4 it was fri and sun but now it's fri sat and sun coz i wanna save up and im not goin to tourneys for the time being anyway.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I really like this idea..

I need replays of my Peach. Hopefully the next time I go out of town for a nice tourney I can get some replays in.

:peach:

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
How y'all do against tl?
I think I'm ok at the matchup. I don't have as much experience as Illmatic, but I can still keep up with smart, steady play and camping. I have come to the conclusion that there will be many times where the match will go to time or matches will be longer than 5 minutes lol

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.

I think I'm ok at the matchup. I don't have as much experience as Illmatic, but I can still keep up with smart, steady play and camping. I have come to the conclusion that there will be many times where the match will go to time or matches will be longer than 5 minutes lol
depends on the tl imo.

I just wanted to see how other peaches handled the mu.

Top Bottom