• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivoting

Icyo

Smash Ace
I've been practicing empty pivot to dsmash/dtilt for the past hour and can do it pretty frequently. I'm curious about what everyone's opinions are about implementing pivot tilts in Yoshi's game. I think it would be a good defensive option against many characters and could improve his defensive options in the neutral. What do you guys think would be the best move out of a pivot to outprioritize certain approaches from other characters? For example, if Fox is approaching with a dair, which move would hit him out of it?

dvatch

Smash Cadet
pivot f tilts good. Even if it trades, its still favorable. If you have 20xx id recommend turning color overlays on to ensure youre attacking immediately after pivoting.

PsyRex

Smash Cadet
Honestly I think pretty much every tilt would be pretty useful as a pivot. as for Fox dair I'd probably say ftilt, but maybe utilt would work too?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Pivot Ftilt is good against Fox Dair but sometimes you can just Ftilt him right out of the Dair without any need to whiff punish. Trading is in your favour as long as Fox gets knocked over (14% or above for up-angled Ftilt).

Pivot Dtilt is really hard but if you can do it, it would have uses as a whiff punish. Slightly slower than Ftilt though, so you might find they can shield the Dtilt (which is still safe if you space it, but imo getting the hit with Ftilt would be better).

Given the poor horizontal range of Utilt, I think it would be very hard to punish anything with it. If you retreated out of the way of your opponent's attack, they're already outside the range of your Utilt. Pivot Utilt is also extremely hard to do.

Pivot Fair and Bair are both good for getting the max retreating or approaching distance. Being able to threaten pivot Bair and run cancel Dtilt out of the same dash forward is great.

Crossup Pivot Dsmash is good if you are cornered and get a jab reset. It lets you Dsmash them off the close end of the stage instead of doing something like cross up Nair.

Pivot parry is the impossible tech no one asked for and no one would notice if you did it anyway. But you'd probably feel pretty cool if you did it.

Elili

Smash Rookie
I've noticed that WD > Pivot > UpSmash is a good way to catch a tumbling opponent DIing away from you because you can catch them with the starting Active frames of the Upsmash Hitboxes which are behind you longer than they are in the front of you. Sometimes Dash > Crouch-cancel > Pivot > UpSmash is good to, but the execution is harder imo.

Top Bottom