• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
1. FF6
2. FF7
3. FF4
4. FF5
5. FF10
6. FF1
7. FF3
8. FF8
10. FF12
11. FF13
12. FF2
Have you never played FFIX? If not, I’d highly recommend it if you’re into the classic FF titles. I think it’s still my number one favorite game of all time, not just Final Fantasy. The only real issue is the slow ATB bar but the story and characters are really great. I also appreciate how mechanically unique all the characters are from each other. All the characters felt pretty similar in VII and VIII since they could learn every move. They were only really differentiated by their stats and limit breaks.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I would just imagine they’re pretty small overall

you got streets of rage.
River city girls
That awful battle roads game
And a new tmnt recently.

you get tons of virtual novels and rhythm games every year. Rhythm games are pretty huge too so them being missing really feels off in smash
But the beat'em up genre have such big hit games that they're pretty hard to overlook. One could say that there's even been somewhat of a resurgence in the genre. Like you said, there's the River City Girls games (with the second game just got its latest DLC announced), new Streets of Rage games, and some people even like to place Yakuza/Like a Dragon in the beat'em up genre and you know how big that series is. Sure, the genre may not be constantly pumping out games but the games they do pump out draws a lot of attention from fans.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
is it really that odd?
Yeah, i'm confused about that as well lol.
My first was FF12 when i was like 9 in 2007, oh, and later played Revenant Wings for the DS (underrated game imo), maybe is because i'm a zoomer but i never had a big connection with the Final Fantasy series,, i was more interested in Dragon Quest as a kid, and i still am as an adult lol, since Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2 is such an amazing game imo,.
However, FF12 and RW are really good games imo, even though i do not care much about the FF series, i even tried FF13 at release back in '10 and i didnt like it much, so i sold it and bought the DQ remakes for the DS instead.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Final Fantasy XIV is Free To Play up to level 70 and includes the award winning Stormblood expansion.
I played a bit with my friends when it was free but they kept rushing me through the story so I didn’t get to take much in. I felt like too much of the time I spent was solo grinding and I didn’t get the chance to do very many party dungeons. My friends all say it gets better later but I kind of fell off when I had to go back to work after two months off at the start of COVID. Maybe I’ll try again some day.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Imagine if they added Tidus to Smash...
That would be cool. Mechanically, I think Yuna would be the most interesting for Smash but she’s my least favorite as a character. My personal favorite FFX character is Lulu followed by Auron. I don’t think either of them have much a chance though, sadly. Tidus or Yuna are possible though, especially if they actually ever end up making FFX-3 like it was rumored years ago.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The trick is to store up every character’s and summon’s overdrives before a tough boss fight and just use them all at the start of the battle. This didn’t work with every boss fight though. Yunalesca was a particularly tough fight where she somebodies your whole team to reverse the effect of healing magic. That one took several tries and I really had to come up with a strategy through trial and error to win.
This guy was intense haha

XII_yiazmat_render.png

Yiazmat

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Here's a new topic. Let's talk moveset design.

Ignoring any discussion regarding likelihood, priority or whether or not he should be in...

Seriously. DON'T do it.

How would you personally design Bandana Waddle Dee's moveset?
Personally, I'd either do what SSF2 did and give him Spear, Parasol, and Beam to represent the "Waddle" species. Surprised that SSF2's dev team hasn't thought of this, but they could easily explain away that Bandee's spear works the way it does in SSF2, because said spear was given the same sort of mechanical enhancements Dedede's mallet got, going into the official Smash Bros. games.

If not that, then I'd just give him Spear ALONE and maybe make up some stuff that could be borrowed from Staff Kirby's moveset in Star Allies.

In addition, for his F.S... I'm thinking of giving HIM Waddle Dee Army. He IS Dedede's second-in-command after all, and I've never been a fan of SSF2 giving him Flare Beam. Like, Waddle Dee Army is right THERE, guys.

Been playing a lot of fighters lately and got bored, so I decided to make something awesome.

View attachment 388758

What's your reaction if this suddenly happened? Disappointed by the lack of variety? Pumped to see more fighting games represented in Smash? Just happy to suddenly get 10 new characters?
I wouldn't mind it, personally. Unlike some folks here, I'm cool with Mai Shiranui, although I think one of the Mortal Kombat guys (preferably Sub-Zero) should be replaced with Darkstalkers' Morrigan Aensland or something.

By the way, if we're talking about characters with inaccurate characterization, can we talk about Lucina?

You can't tell me Lucina wouldn't turn into a complete fan girl meeting Marth. And even if she was disappointed in him (cause she beat him) she wouldn't be so dismissive of him.

"ThIs Is ThE hErO kInG?!?" :ultlucina:
Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one that felt as though Lucina seemed oddly... disrespectful(?)

...Think they'll add Chase and Elaine as alts if the character comes back?
You know... given the Pokémon involved with the Pokémon Trainer character, I could very well see Chase and Elaine added to the 'rotation', and it'd be an even spilt, if that makes sense.

Red gets 2 alts., Leaf gets 2 alts., Chase gets 2 alts., and Elaine gets 2 alts.

As far as adding more trainers goes, I don't think adding characters from other regions is that great an idea. It wouldn't really make sense for Brendan, Dawn, Ethan, or Serena to have Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard as their team since their starters are different.

You could do Chase and Elaine since they're stand-ins for Red and Leaf, though I'd add a partner Pikachu and Eevee to them for accuracy, even if they're just kinda sitting on their heads or something.

EDIT: Forgot Callum and Serena are given the Kanto starters. It'd still make sense for them to have Kalos starters instead, but the Kanto starters are at least a thing for them.
Funny thing is, before Sakurai explained how the 3DS was going to limit certain characters from appearing in Smash 4, I legit predicted that Calem and Serena or Serena by herself (given her role in the XY(Z) anime and all) would replace Red as Smash 4's trainer. Boy, was I ever wrong about THAT happening.

The thing about adding more Trainers? Many of those games lets you use the Kanto Starters in some way. It's only when it's impossible that it makes no sense. Thanks to trading and all. Almost nobody is going to specifically have a team of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard in a fight. Outside of emulating Smash Bros. Not even Red does in games, whether he takes more from Ash's team or not. It's a very specific situation. So it doesn't really matter if it would be Gold or the Kalos characters, etc. at that point. It's still just a costume, anyway. I get what you mean about it seeming a little odd, but it would only be odd if it was just Charizard having a Trainer, which means they wouldn't have the other Starters either(you also can't normally get all the Starters at once outside of Yellow, so it's not even something Leaf would normally do, though she might've in Masters? I don't know much about the game).

The whole thing is meant to be a more general take on something a Pokemon Trainer could do within the franchise, including trading with other games, etc. It not being specific, that said, is obviously both a good and bad thing. It makes it more awkward to update Red/Leaf to match their personalities, but it also makes it more awkward to add more in general as is beyond another Trainer design).

Either way, it's an awkward thing. So it's not surprised it's handled loosely enough to feel a tad less awkward.
As much as I would want her in Smash, this is sort of what holds me off from considering a team of Cynthia and Garchomp as a playable character in Smash...

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Eh, about the more trainers thing; I wanted more trainers in the past, but now, I think Red and his alt., Leaf are enough. I feel like it would be one trainer to many with just one more.

Plus, that would just add more Pokemon, three per trainer, and while I am not saying it, someone else will complain those will be too many Pokemon.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If we get another trainer, I want it to be done differently than the current one and not just copy the gimmick again with a different trainer and Pokémon. I’ve always liked the idea of having a trainer with a moveset similar to Yuna in Dissidia where the trainer physically fights and uses Pokemon for specials. This would only really work with a few types of trainers like some villains and fighting type trainers but I think it could be fun.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't know enough about the series to hedge a guess about whether this concept would work, but is there a hypothetical where the first, second, and third mons in a particular Pokémon evolution line could all be competitively balanced as a fighter trio?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't know enough about the series to hedge a guess about whether this concept would work, but is there a hypothetical where the first, second, and third mons in a particular Pokémon evolution line could all be competitively balanced as a fighter trio?

The Oshawott line would pretty much all have to play differently. Even disregarding the body shape change that is Dewott->Samurott, Oshawott's personality is different too, it's a lot more playful.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
What about a Pokémon fighter who evolves as the fight progresses? There could be an EXP bar under the stock icon and once you’ve evolved, you stay in that form until you get KO’d.
I don't think that would balance out very well, both in terms of actual balance and the amount of play time you get between the evolutionary stages.

If it resets every stock, you would need exp to build at an absurdly high rate at which point you'd spend very little time actually playing as the base Pokemon. Either that or you do a slower exp build, but then you'd basically have to survive long enough on a single stock to actually evolve, meaning you're looking at scenarios where you almost never see the final evolution (assuming it's a a 3 stage Pokemon.)

If you go the exp route I think it makes more sense for any exp gained to carry over between stocks, with maybe a penalty of losing some portion of it upon getting KO'd.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If they ever DO update the victory themes... I'm kind of hoping they make Kirby's victory theme in the original key of C.

Although, I guess they did that for Meta Knight. But that was a rock version.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Plus, that would just add more Pokemon, three per trainer, and while I am not saying it, someone else will complain those will be too many Pokemon.
That's too many Pokemon.

Pokemon Trainers are a waste of development resources. It's bad enough I have to accept the fact that one newcomer slot per game is always going to be taken by Pokemon, without having to worrying about them wasting 3.

The only thing I'd change about Pokémon Trainer is to have his/her team consist of Totodile, Grovyle and Charizard for the sake of more variety in generations.
The only thing I'd change about Pokémon Trainer is to separate him into 3 separate Fighters. With Red as Charizard's Trainer, Leaf as Ivysaur's Trainer, and Blue as Squirtle's Trainer.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That's too many Pokemon.

Pokemon Trainers are a waste of development resources. It's bad enough I have to accept the fact that one newcomer slot per game is always going to be taken by Pokemon, without having to worrying about them wasting 3.

The only thing I'd change about Pokémon Trainer is to separate him into 3 separate Fighters. With Red as Charizard's Trainer, Leaf as Ivysaur's Trainer, and Blue as Squirtle's Trainer.
That could work. I would have Ivysaur be Venusaur though and have Squirtle as Blastoise if I could decide on that, though.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
RE: Victory themes

If I'm being perfectly honest, I still think Melee had the best victory themes.

I do like some of the newer ones and the character specific/special ones we get from time to time (:ultjoker::ultsephiroth:), but something about hearing an orchestra perform the victory jingles (except :gawmelee::falconmelee:) gave them a sort of...consistency? Unity? I can't really put my finger on it to be honest. All the themes in Melee carried this sort of celebratory feeling to them, not for just winning the match but for being Smash if that makes sense. And I just think they sounded better too. Some of the themes from Brawl onward are just kind of grating imo.

I suppose my ideal for them would be to continue the Smash tradition of options and choice.

I'd personally like for them to have a live orchestra do the victory themes for every series again. (With third parties being the exception here, unless they're willing to participate.)

BUT I would still include the character specific stuff and other alternate versions as unlockable rewards. So, as an example, by default :ultluigi:would still get the standard Mario series victory theme, but you could get a Luigi's Mansion specific one for beating his classic mode. In the absence of trophies, I think this could be a neat alternative.

Then you could even take things a step further and include the victory themes from the past Smash games and put those behind certain event matches or other criteria depending on what modes we get.

Then add another menu to the music options where you could change victory themes for each character individually. Sticking with the Luigi example you'd get something like:

:ultluigi:Super Smash Bros. MeleeBrawlSmash 4 Rock Ver.Luigi's Mansion

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I know people are tired of these kinds of tweets but since we all know the next console is gonna have a new Smash game sooner or later…

Top Bottom