• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
After Chun-Li, who do ya'll think would be the next rep for Street Fighter?

Personally, I'd like a newer character, and I think there's only one who fits the "all-star" bill: Juri.
Zangief, Guile or Bison would be next in line.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Personally, I'd like a newer character, and I think there's only one who fits the "all-star" bill: Juri.
I'd personally go with Juri, but Luke or Kimberly could be a load of fun in a Platfighter.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Instead of Waluigi or Geno, we get Toad or Pauline

please Toad

Please
Out of all picks, Toad and Pauline are ones are that i'm feeling the least above Paper Mario. Nothing much going for both other than "They HAVE to be here" mainstays which is fine but like Tails and Dee to less extent, there are lot more exciting Mario picks: Forget Geno and Waluigi. King Boo, Nabbit, Fawful, Birdo, E.Gadd, Vivan etc. Lot more wowzers there

Oh yeah. On that note: Vivan.

No one talks about her as a pick for Smash so far despite now her chances being similar to Geno's now due the TTYD remake.

Not only would it just be a satisfying conclusion to his underdog story, it's always fun to see fan campaigns succeed, but I've always liked him a lot. He's one of my favorite designs of the Mario cast and has an incredibly fun and dynamic personality. Some people like to rag on him and suggest he doesn't really have one, but he is very consistently a cheat and a jealous sore loser.
The underrated, nice yet devastating part about Smash. How character's stories are woven, written and destined all by their shot on making into the roster or not. Waluigi's underdog narrative in getting into Smash exploded as meme since 2018.

Similar thing happened for K.Rool, Ridley and even Banjo. Minecraft Steve was seen as villian for this reason. Grotesque was his name.

If Waluigi gets in, i wonder would be next

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It would obviously be Rufus.
And he would confuse Terry and Shulk for Ken.
isn't rufus already in the game? he's the voice of dunban iirc

Out of all picks, Toad and Pauline are ones are that i'm feeling the least above Paper Mario. Nothing much going for both other than "They HAVE to be here" mainstays which is fine but like Tails and Dee to less extent, there are lot more exciting Mario picks: Forget Geno and Waluigi. King Boo, Nabbit, Fawful, Birdo, E.Gadd, Vivan etc. Lot more wowzers there

Oh yeah. On that note: Vivan.

No one talks about her as a pick for Smash so far despite now her chances being similar to Geno's now due the TTYD remake.
that's probably cause sakurai never said she was cool

Gengar84

Smash Hero

The two I want the most are Guile and Vega but I think a more recent character like Juri probably makes more sense. She’s got a great design and fun personality and would help represent the modern titles starting with Street Fighter VI.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
What are some pure BIAS Most Wanted?
I Know she will NEVER get in in any form, but Marina Liteyears would be just below Shantae for me in terms of hype. Smash Remix is the best I can get and frankly its quality is on par with an official Smash release.
Okay Bias you say?
1. Darkmatter this orby boy is sooo cool and a perfect rep for the void decendants from kirby!
2. Porky A Fantastic villain hateble but deep, funny but tragic! So good!
3. Flowey Hes The Best!
4. Octorok and keeping a young link indefinitly!

5. .... Videospiel-Man
1709386994761.png

You said Bias okay! How can i not wish for this perfect lad to join smash? Hes my Baby and me (but not literally for both things!)
I mean Look at that Design im still proud everytime i see him he reminds me of kirby in his simplicity!
Hes my first big project my first website and im so proud for working on that comic!

Realistic Prediction: Another SF2 rep, like Bison, Guile, or Zangief.
Hopeful Prediction: Sakura from SF Alpha or Luke from SF6.
Absolute Curveball: Mike Haggar from Final Fight.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Realistic Prediction: Another SF2 rep, like Bison, Guile, or Zangief.
Hopeful Prediction: Sakura from SF3 or Luke from SF5.
Absolute Curveball: Mike Haggar from Final Fight.
Like the choices but I think you mixed up your games here. Sakura's from the Alpha games not 3. And Luke debuted in V so I guess that still works, but he was technically made for SF6 first.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
On the topic of "What if they put a non-MC character from an unrepped series"? I could see that happening with Danganronpa if that series gets a character.

They could do a teaser with Monokuma receiving the Smash envelope but instead of using it himself he decides to have the students (all the characters in the main three games, plus the MC from the UDG game) fight for it. The teaser then ends in a similar fashion to the ARMS Smash teaser, with profile pics of all the potential candidates and saying one of these will be the next Smash Bros. characters, and emphasizing it could be ANYONE.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
On the topic of "What if they put a non-MC character from an unrepped series"? I could see that happening with Danganronpa if that series gets a character.

They could do a teaser with Monokuma receiving the Smash envelope but instead of using it himself he decides to have the students (all the characters in the main three games, plus the MC from the UDG game) fight for it. The teaser then ends in a similar fashion to the ARMS Smash teaser, with profile pics of all the potential candidates and saying one of these will be the next Smash Bros. characters, and emphasizing it could be ANYONE.
I mean it would obviously be Makoto, Ive only played 1 and 2 but I means it him.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Zangief, Guile or Bison would be next in line.
Bison, Definitely in Contention. I think of the Charge characters, the way his move works lend him better to how Smash works of all the characters. I'd also like to do a Super Psycho Crusher in Smash

Zangief is a maybe, it just depends, but People do like Playing Muscle, despite the fact Grapplers can be taxing to play. He'd be so slow, he'd probably be Slower than Incineroar

Guile, Definitely no. He's Iconic, but the man has only had 2 moves for 30 years. I think this is one of those cases where Assist Trophy fits perfectfully.

If we didn't take Iconic status into Account, I'd actually say Juri would make more sense for Smash than Chun-Li. She would have a Grand time in Smash. Given her toolset, I'd actually say Juri Fits a game like Smash more than her home series, she would be allowed to use all her Mobility.

However even I think it would be weird if Chun-Li was missing in that scneraio

Otherwise, I'd think it would be Akuma because you have a Base to use in Ryu/Ken, and he's probably the most Popular Street Fighter character that's not Ryu or Ken. He'd be able to use all his Tools and probably be balanced within the Context of Smash here

I'm not saying most Iconic, because I think more Casuals would Recognize Guile, Chun, Zangief, Bison, but Most popular, because within the Street Fighter series He's one of the most popular to use

One Character I haven't seen Mentioned is Cammy. I'd say within the SF Fanbase she's more popular than Chun is, Due to various factors (Story, Playstyle, and no Pants). She'd also be High Mobility character

But honestly, isn't Monokuma technically not the Main Character. I think his Existence would most likely mean Danganronpa would get Represetented with a "Non-MC" and in this case the Main villain

View attachment 385801

Hear ya loud and clear.
I might be Bias here since I liked playing Nemesis in both UMVC3 and Infinite (yes I did buy that game), but I think Nemesis would be fun with His Rocket Launcher, Big body, and his Tentacles

But I feel like his Design might be a bit much for Smash, unless they want to go back to having a T Rating. If the Next Smash has a T Rating, or at least the DLC, I actually think that could be confirmation of a Resident Evil Character

I also think that people really like the Human characters, of Jill, Chris, Leon, and Wesker (bio enhanced), more than Nemesis. From the reaction I saw from Infinite, I think people would have rather saw Wesker or even Jill get in there instead of Nemesis, Especially Leon, since this man has not been in a Fighting game at all yet

Which obscure picks do you guys want to be more popular for smash 6. In my case, it would be adol from ys, chosen undead from dark souls and laharl from disgaea
I guess Gunvolt would be cool, But I'm not fiending to see him in Smash anytime soon unlike a certain other character

If KOS-MOS is considered Obscure, I would pick her. I think she has interesting Material for a Fighting game, which She hasn't been in an Official Capacity (not counting the CAS items from Soul Calibur 3)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Either Juri or any of Ryu's other clones.

Personally i wouldnt mind Sakura, she and Chun Li were the series mascots back in the 90's.

Which obscure picks do you guys want to be more popular for smash 6. In my case, it would be adol from ys, chosen undead from dark souls and laharl from disgaea
I already mentioned him before, this guy

It's a series ive enjoyed, it's really popular in Japan and the confusion from westerners would be funny.

toonito

Smash Ace
as popular as Cammy is her attire is a no go for Smash. She's probably similar to Mai Shiranui in that her attire bans her from Smash.

even though Elena from SF3 is also a non-starter, shes unique in that her fighting style is capoeira and she only uses her feet. it wouldve been interesting to see her moveset translated to Smash

Noipoi

Howdy!
as popular as Cammy is her attire is a no go for Smash. She's probably similar to Mai Shiranui in that her attire bans her from Smash.

even though Elena from SF3 is also a non-starter, shes unique in that her fighting style is capoeira and she only uses her feet. it wouldve been interesting to see her moveset translated to Smash
Just give her some leggings, she’d be fine. If Pythra can get in there’s really no excuse.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
On the topic of "What if they put a non-MC character from an unrepped series"?
I feel like delving into a few of these possibilities for the hell of it, some series that I think have a solid chance and could be sufficiently covered by a non-MC.

Undertale is the first one that comes to mind, because Sans is easily the most popular character and I'm unsure if Frisk / "Fallen Human" would really be on the table at all. At the very least, I don't think that would be Toby Fox's preference and may instead try to sway in the direction of one of UT's supporting characters. Undertale takes a special effort to hone in on the fact that this character is YOU and I don't think representing Frisk as their own entity here is very closely in line with the spirit of the game. Not that this has mattered for other avatar characters, but it's a little different when they aren't from Nintendo and when that identity is so closely weaved into the story. I'm sure they could come up with something satisfying but I unno. Sans is good.

Monster Hunter has been a point of contention for a bit because of some speculation about Capcom's willingness to represent a physical fighter. I'm not too sure whether I should take this seriously, especially since I do have faith in Sakurai to deliver on a satisfying moveset that would sway them if he was so inclined, but since Slime was put aside as a backup for Hero already I can see something similar going on with a Palico. They'd probably bring along a lot of MH's weapons and tactics, just within a cute little mascot package instead. I don't think this is how Sakurai likes to do it but MH is big enough to make an exception if Capcom really wanted them to.

Silent Hill. I mean, it's probably not gonna happen, but surely Pyramid Head would be top priority. I can't say I anticipate Resident Evil would be the same, I think we'd get one of the protagonists, but I suppose Wesker is also a valid option who wouldn't pose any design concerns (sorry Nemesis).

Oh yeah, Dark Souls. I think Solaire is just as valid of a pick as Chosen Undead, and it's my understanding he can do pretty much all the same stuff. He's a fairly iconic character with his own personality that might make him a bit more of a character-driven choice if that means anything to the Smash team. Generally it doesn't, that's just where my personal preference seems to lie over avatars and silent protagonists.

Rhythm Heaven doesn't have the best case for itself at the moment, but there's always that possibility Sakurai wants to fall back on an old idea. Presumably, this already almost happened with RH since Chorus Kids were slated to be playable, but even if they weren't it's kinda hard to pin down a true "MC" from the series. I guess Tibby exists now, and each game had a respective "host" but the most compelling characters tend to be the ones in the minigames like Chorus Kids, Karate Joe, Wrestler and Tap Girl / Yuka. You might be able to argue the latter being an MC of sorts since she, or at least someone who looks like her, appears prominently to promote each game. Chorus Kids were also their game's "mascot" and appeared on the cover. There's no real answer though, and I think that's been the hardest part about getting people to really back RH or rally behind someone specific.

Guilty Gear is worth a mention here maybe? I do think Sol Badguy is the most likely choice, but fighting games can serve to be a little more loose with who they decide to cross over. Outside of Min Min, Smash does have a precedent for going with the posterboy instead, but Baiken did appear in Samurai Shodown on her own and a few other sporadic crossovers have occurred putting emphasis on other characters. I think in this case there's nobody who explicitly stands out as being more fitting for Smash than any other, so Sol may as well still be the default, but I do think the conversation of fighting game characters is a little bit more open than others particularly if they're looking for some different archetype. "Everyone is the main character", or something.

If Fortnite is any indication, Capcom has no issues covering her legs up. In the instance Cammy has any presence in Smash, they could always do that if it's really a problem. I'm sure a lot of people would complain but I think that design looks fine enough.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
peter, chosen undead isn't an obscure character

1709402612125.png

but for real my obscure pick would probably be Balloon Fighter. retro reps are the best, love seeing how Smash modernizes their designs and abilities.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I feel quite certain that if Sakurai does reach that point of wanting to put in a notable character who has a very risque design, he would sooner let the game get a T Rating than try to constantly fight CERO over the rating.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Which obscure picks do you guys want to be more popular for smash 6
Lip (Panel de Pon), Saki Amamiya / Airan Jo (Sin & Punishment), Mallo (Pushmo)... and then Rhythm Heaven isn't that obscure. In general I love these smaller Nintendo series and I wish they'd get their chance for Smash, but I feel like the demand really has to be there first.

Third party wise there's Marina Liteyears from Mischief Makers like I talked about the other day. In general, I think I'd like Treasure to get a character on the roster or at least some more meaningful representation. That's an extension of the desire for more Sin & Punishment love too.

Not widely obscure, but the likes of Puyo Puyo or Taiko no Tatsujin deserve better but just aren't as beloved or understood outside Japan. I really like some smaller scale fighting game series like Darkstalkers and Melty Blood as well, so getting any acknowledgement of those would be exciting. And then like... NiGHTS.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Undertale is the first one that comes to mind, because Sans is easily the most popular character and I'm unsure if Frisk / "Fallen Human" would really be on the table at all. At the very least, I don't think that would be Toby Fox's preference and may instead try to sway in the direction of one of UT's supporting characters. Undertale takes a special effort to hone in on the fact that this character is YOU and I don't think representing Frisk as their own entity here is very closely in line with the spirit of the game. Not that this has mattered for other avatar characters, but it's a little different when they aren't from Nintendo and when that identity is so closely weaved into the story. I'm sure they could come up with something satisfying but I unno. Sans is good.
First of the main issue with sans is that his popularity for smash comes almost exclusivly from the bad route!
And i dont see how undertale a game about choice is well repped by the Final boss of the bad route acting out of character!
Also frisk isnt the "fallen human" at the beginning you name the fallen human only for frisk to say their own name at the end of the pacifist route!
Merch usually calls the character "the Human" Which makes perfect sense for the character as a whole considering they are sorta 3 people under a trenchcoat!
(You, Frisk and Chara/ Fallen Human)
Sans WOULD NOT FIGHT IN SMASH! not even with jokes hes lazy!
The only moveset were sans character isnt broken completly is the one from brawlfan were papyrus has to die first!

If you do wanna go the side character route Flowey and Susie are much more sensible picks (albeit less popular) Susie is the deutaragonist of deltarune and flowey is atleast the MAIN Villain of all routes!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If you do wanna go the side character route Flowey and Susie are much more sensible picks (albeit less popular) Susie is the deutaragonist of deltarune and flowey is atleast the MAIN Villain of all routes!
No character from Deltarune is more sensible than Sans, they're not adding a character from an unfinished game. I'd love to have Deltarune content in Smash but it's not gonna be like this, it would be supplemental to Undertale. I can't see Flowey being a very good choice on his own either, although I think I'd like the idea of him being rooted around the Human's arm or something. It's hard for me to imagine how you'd make either normal Flowey or Nightmare Flowey operate as a playable character and it's especially a stretch when there are others who lend themselves much more practically.

First of the main issue with sans is that his popularity for smash comes almost exclusivly from the bad route!
And i dont see how undertale a game about choice is well repped by the Final boss of the bad route acting out of character!
Sans is popular because he's an appealing character, that doesn't begin and end with one fight. Undertale is all about your wacky friends and Sans is one of the most compelling and one of the most prominent, he's essentially the "anti-Flowey" through the game who tries to slap some sense back into you. He is immensely important to the game's identity and thesis statement. That's precisely why he's the final boss of the Genocide route, it's not out of character.

Sans' laziness is a good basis for the essence of his character and how effortless you would design his attacks to be. He'd whip out some of the Genocide stuff here and there but it wouldn't make up the bulk of his moveset, he'd be a slow character who nonchalantly tosses out bones, buzzes you with a prank handshake and slaps you with a trombone. A lot of the fun comes from letting his character inform his kit. If you don't see the vision I respect that but he's really no less viable than anyone else, and he's got far and away the most support behind him and the official acknowledgement of his demand by Sakurai.

Plus I mean, if they had any reservations about the Genocide Route stuff then surely the Sans costume wouldn't be wielding a Gaster Blaster and wouldn't have come with Megalovania. It doesn't seem like Sakurai or Toby had any problem with this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom