• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I have no strong opinions on the idea of Nintendo Kart, I'd buy it and enjoy it but I also think there's plenty of fun stuff you can do with the last decade of Mario content and any prior untapped potential. More additions like King Bob Omb, or DK / Yoshi / Wario stuff like Poochy. I hope most of the Tour characters make their way over. Expanding on costumes would be nice. I don't think the gameplay or essence needs much of a shakeup.

Whether or not I want it though, I don't think Nintendo Kart will happen at all. It's a pie in the sky idea but Mario Kart is already Nintendo's most successful IP and I don't think making it more like Smash would sell it any more copies. Since Mario Kart is already more popular than Smash Bros, and practically everyone with the console is going to buy it anyway.... like, MK8D is one of the best selling games of all time, who exactly are we trying to reach?

I do think we'll see more crossover content, particularly for series like Pikmin and Star Fox, but this will be incremental or maybe regulated to DLC packs or something. Could be a fine compromise if base game is concerned about the Mario content and they trickle in more stuff from the greater Nintendo-sphere down the line, like they did with MK8 with just a bit more focus on it.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Look at Mario Kart 8's base roster and tell me with a straight face that "Nintendo Kart" would be anything close to a good idea. Let Mario games be Mario games. It's bad enough that we've somehow still yet to get folks like E. Gadd in.

Plus they wouldn't be cool enough to add Marth and make Marthio Karth a reality.

One more page...

For the 1000
Stop spamming the thread with useless counting posts.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I personally would be fine with Nintendo Kart for two reasons:

-The Mario element to the series is nice, but I think the gameplay and inventive level tracks were always the core appeal of the series.

-Given how little the developers of MK have actually explored the broader Mario series to its real depths (taking elements from other spin-offs or the various Mario RPG titles), if it takes the series becoming Nintendo Kart to actually shake it out of the safe box the series often falls in, I'm down. I'd gladly trade crossing over other Nintendo IP's for characters and levels in exchange for getting more run of the mill real-world city track that Tour (and the Booster Pass) became so guilty of overusing.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Look at Mario Kart 8's base roster and tell me with a straight face that "Nintendo Kart" would be anything close to a good idea. Let Mario games be Mario games. It's bad enough that we've somehow still yet to get folks like E. Gadd in.

Plus they wouldn't be cool enough to add Marth and make Marthio Karth a reality.
I'm still waiting for Cranky Kong or K. Rool or any RPG characters to be in a Mario Kart. 😢

Ivander

Smash Legend

nintendo kart is a dumb idea and would lead to more dissatisfaction amongst everyone due to x or y character from their favorite series not making it in, or said characters making it in but replacing shy guy and dry bones in the process because there's no way there's gonna be enough room for any mario character not in the main cast if a Smash Kart actually happens.
Considering we have Mario characters literally not chosen, instead getting Baby Peach, Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina, Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach over them, I don't think Nintendo Kart would be any more limiting then them not choosing actual characters over another Mario, Peach, etc. And I want actual characters over copies of characters, but man, do they have an aversion to putting in actual characters sometimes.
the mario universe has so much untapped potential for playable characters and tracks that including all these other franchises sounds like, frankly put, a really limiting idea. i don't want to race on gaur plain or dreamland or any other grassy world-1 esque stage from their respective games, because I know that's exactly what most of the tracks in a smash kart will be comprised of if it ever happens.
Are we not going to talk about the 7 Circuit tracks? Or the 5 Desert tracks? Or the 8 Mountain tracks? Or the 7/8 Winter tracks? Or the 16 City levels? Or the 5 Rainbow Roads? Or the 30 or so tracks with grass in them, yet are still mostly different from each other?

Part of Ultimate's problem with it's stages and focus on early levels came from them bringing most of the levels back from previous games when some of those same stages did not come back in a previous entry. Each new stage was basically meant to be a replacement for the previous one until Ultimate brought most of them back. And we know full well that just because an area has similarities to another area, does not mean they can't offer something different.
i just wanna play as wiggler, i don't need to play as captain falcon or samus or whatever. the solution to any series' problem isn't to make it a crossover.
And I never asked for a Nintendo Kart to be a replacement for Mario Kart. I think it's silly to replace Mario Kart, but don't think it's silly to do a Crossover-focused game at some point. I just legitimately want a Nintendo Kart. Especially since it looks like we won't get another Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing game ever.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Especially since it looks like we won't get another Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing game ever.
That phrase makes me upset since we never got a proper Puyo Puyo racer. (Aside of the generic Puffer Fish item swapped for a Garbage Puyo for the Japanese version)

I really wanted a Team Puyo in Team Sonic Racing with Arle, Amitie and Ringo, but due to Sumo Digital not wanting to make another crossover racing, the dream was gone.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I’m honestly all for Nintendo Kart at this point. Or rather, Mario Kart with more guest elements.

Being realistic here, Nintendo doesn’t like to acknowledge the Mario RPGs and such in Mario Kart. It’s usually always the mainline games and minor Luigi, DK and Yoshi stuff.

I don’t think it would exactly be like Smash. I imagine the roster would be more limited, and exclusively 1st and 2nd party.

Or, even give us a Double Dash mode within Nintendo Kart. It would be a neat revival, and we would see Kirby and Ridley team up or something.

Last edited:

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
That phrase makes me upset since we never got a proper Puyo Puyo racer. (Aside of the generic Puffer Fish item swapped for a Garbage Puyo for the Japanese version)

I really wanted a Team Puyo in Team Sonic Racing with Arle, Amitie and Ringo, but due to Sumo Digital not wanting to make another crossover racing, the dream was gone.
Are we sure that Sumo doesn't want to make another crossover racer? Because everything about Team Sonic Racing screams "we were not given the time and budget to make a truly content-packed racer on ps4/xbone graphical fidelity".

Ivander

Smash Legend
Are we sure that Sumo doesn't want to make another crossover racer? Because everything about Team Sonic Racing screams "we were not given the time and budget to make a truly content-packed racer on ps4/xbone graphical fidelity".
Even if they want to, will they be given the chance? After all, their parent company Sumo Group, and by extension, them, were bought by Tencent in 2022.

And it sucks too because Sega just did the whole Sega games reveal with them trying to make an effort in bringing back some of their IPs and a new Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing would fit perfectly alongside that. 😔

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I know Donkey Kong is more of a brute strength kind of fighter, but wanna know what would be funny if he had his Coconut Gun?

What would be funny is if the Coconut Gun dealt 50 percent damage per hit.

After all, it fires in spurts and if it shoots ya, it's gonna hurt! :troll:

toonito

Smash Ace
RE: mario/nintendo kart

i know its a contentious and unpopular idea within the fanbase but i wouldnt mind more guest characters in Mario Kart.

granted, im not for adding every character into Mario Kart (so no Marth, Cloud, Ryu or Little Mac, etc.) but characters who can transfer a vehicle from their series to mario kart

below are a few guest characters i wouldnt mind seeing in Mario Kart:

Pac-Man

Diddy Kong

ROB

Captain Falcon (cmon IMO this is a no-brainer)

Toon Link (IMO he fits the kart aesthetic more than Link)

Mega Man (can use either Rush or Beat as his vehicle)

Fox (can use a modified Land Master)

Samus (can use a modified Gun Ship)

Kirby (Star)

Sonic (can use either the All-Star racing vehicle or have no vehicle due to his speed)

Pikachu (can use either Koraidon or Miraidon as his kart)

Laniv

Smash Champion
Watch how fast Nintendo/Smash Kart wanters change their tune when they actually get a Nintendo Kart and Waluigi is absent

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
RE: mario/nintendo kart

i know its a contentious and unpopular idea within the fanbase but i wouldnt mind more guest characters in Mario Kart.

granted, im not for adding every character into Mario Kart (so no Marth, Cloud, Ryu or Little Mac, etc.) but characters who can transfer a vehicle from their series to mario kart

below are a few guest characters i wouldnt mind seeing in Mario Kart:

Pac-Man

Diddy Kong

ROB

Captain Falcon (cmon IMO this is a no-brainer)

Toon Link (IMO he fits the kart aesthetic more than Link)

Mega Man (can use either Rush or Beat as his vehicle)

Fox (can use a modified Land Master)

Samus (can use a modified Gun Ship)

Kirby (Star)

Sonic (can use either the All-Star racing vehicle or have no vehicle due to his speed)

Pikachu (can use either Koraidon or Miraidon as his kart)
Wait, you already know the existence of Mega Man Battle and Chase? 🤨

Edit: Cloud has a motorcycle in some of the FFVII cutscenes. He's already in Chocobo Racing for crying out loud.

Edit 2 - The Squeakquel: Bayonetta also has one.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
Wait, you already know the existence of Mega Man Battle and Chase? 🤨

Edit: Cloud has a motorcycle in some of the FFVII cutscenes. He's already in Chocobo Racing for crying out loud.

Edit 2 - The Squeakquel: Bayonetta also has one.
yeah i knew megaman had a racing game from the x collection of games since battle and chase never came out in america

blanked on cloud lol as much as i like him ill pass on him and bayo in mario kart

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, when is the current Spirit Event for Smash Bros. Ultimate scheduled to end again?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As I alluded to before, there are two main series I can see crossing over with Mario Kart in the future that haven't already.

Pikmin, for a few reasons. Chief among them is the Miyamoto connection, but they're also just a prominent staple of Nintendo branding lately. If Zelda, Splatoon and Animal Crossing are here then Pikmin is kinda the next one down that ladder in this context. Also I think it kinda writes itself - Olimar would be a good racer and a Pikmin course where everything is really big to make you feel really small is a no-brainer. We've had tracks like this before but we can certainly do it again. And then Olimar can drive around a souped up Dolphin with wheels. Maybe a trio of Pikmin could drive around too, that'd be silly.

And then Star Fox, which I just have a hunch about. Maybe it's those old false flags about that Star Fox Racing game way back when, lol. But it's just kind of a natural fit in Mario Kart's mold, it's actually kind of incredible we don't have a kart based off the Arwing yet. The Star Fox crew are pilots, it's not so crazy to imagine them being competent kart racers too. Although I'd probably only anticipate Fox himself, it'd be cool to see Falco, Peppy or Slippy too. I could imagine a killer Corneria track, or a space station somewhere. It just works.

Honorary mention to Captain Falcon, who I'm not sure what to make of. I hope they continue to give F-Zero some love moving forward, but the decision to leave Falcon out seems deliberate. Maybe they feel like he clashes too much with the established style? They could always stylize him to compensate, but I digress. I'd love to see it, but I suppose it's not absolutely necessary. I'll leave it here because I don't want to stay too off track from the Smash discussion in this thread, but this is at least thematically related.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh yeah, I finished up my moveset for Kyle Hyde a bit ago after finishing Last Window, in case anyone wanted to read it.

GIF41.gif

Overview: Kyle Hyde is a character with a focus on close and midranged brawling, and a special mechanic where he can wear down the opponent through debuffs. He's also a very adaptable character in the right hands, and can alter his style of play depending on the foe's own style, such as by using his down special to steal and redirect enemy projectiles. An adaptable brawler who works to wear down his foes to secure his victory.

Jab - A simple three punch combo consisting of two hooks and an uppercut. As an ex-cop, Kyle knows his way around a fight.

Dash Attack - Kyle performs a charging tackle, ramming his shoulder into the foe.

Forward Tilt - Kyle kicks one leg outward in the fashion of a "Sparta kick." Similar to Ganondorf's forward tilt.

Up Tilt - Kyle spins a small metal wire above his head, motioning as if trying to pick a particularly stubborn lock. Similar to Villager's up tilt in execution.

Down Tilt - Kyle crouches down and kicks his leg outwards in a tripping motion. This has a chance of causing any foe hit by it to trip, should they connect with the tip of his foot.

Neutral Air - Kyle does a quick spin in mid air while holding onto his almost comically-worn suitcase, which smacks into foes who stray too close.

Forward Air - Kyle takes his crowbar and swings it upward in a scooping motion, doing high knockback if it hits.

Back Air - Kyle quickly rummages through his pocket and throws a handful of pencil graphite shavings behind him. The dust cloud effect acts as a hitbox...nobody likes getting graphite in their eyes.

Up Air - Kyle swings his crowbar overhead in an arc, smacking foes with it for high knockback.

Down Air - Kyle slams a sledgehammer downwards below him. This move acts much like Byleth's down air, where it has significant start-up but a strong meteor effect.

Forward Smash - Kyle pushes a hotel cleaning cart, letting it barrel forward. The longer the charge, the further the cart will travel. It can also roll off the edge and do damage while falling.

Up Smash - Kyle clasps both hands together and swings a sledgehammer in an upward swing. A strong finishing move showcasing his physical prowess.

Down Smash - Kyle leans down, takes a billiard cue, and lunges it forward. This only hits one side of him, but has a long range, with the tip of the cue doing much more damage, and also launching any object it hits as a projectile.

Pummel - Kyle performs a quick upward punch to the foe's stomach.

Forward Throw - Grabbing the foe by the arm, Kyle swings them forward in an overhead throw.

Back Throw - Kyle swings the foe behind him.

Up Throw - Kyle performs a simple upwards toss on the opponent.

Down Throw - Kyle lunges at the foe and performs a takedown, knocking them into the ground.

Neutral Special - Take Note - Kyle takes out a notebook and jots down a note. If he performs this move right before or while being struck by an attack, a sound effect will play, and a notebook icon will appear next to his HUD. The move that has been noted will have its damage and knockback be greatly reduced on subsequent uses. Up to three notes can be taken at once, and all notes are discarded when Kyle is KO'd. If a new note is taken while three are already held, the oldest note will be overwritten.

Side Special - Gutter Ball - Kyle rolls a bowling ball straight forward as a projectile that travels along the ground. If it falls off the edge, it becomes a heavy, falling projectile.

Up Special - Rope - Kyle takes hold of a bundled up rope he found and tosses a looped end of it upwards. It acts as a tether, so if it connects to the stage, he'll pull himself up. He can also drag airborn opponents down to him.

Down Special - Lost and Found - Kyle pulls out his suitcase. If this happens as Kyle is next to an item or about to be hit by a projectile, the item or attack will enter the case instead. If the button is held down, a pop up menu appears, much like Shulk's Monado Arts wheel. This shows Kyle's inventory, which has three slots, allowing you to pick an item to throw back. In this sense, it is an upgraded version of Villager and Isabelle's Pocket move. However, there is a catch. To make up for having two more slots to hold items or attacks, any non-physical projectile Kyle "finds" will not go as far when thrown back. He's a fairly grounded mortal man, after all. And fear not when facing a foe who has no projectile attacks: Kyle's inventory will always start with two items, a Pinkie Rabbit doll, and a bottle of Cool Pop. The small doll is a physical projectile that can be thrown in an arc, while the Cool Pop is a stationary item that can be placed on stage, and explodes in a flood of fizz after a short time (it can also be launched with Down Smash).

Final Smash - Take a Seat - Kyle Hyde throws a chair forward, and if it hits a foe, a cutscene plays. The chair and the foe crash through a door, dazed on impact and heavily damaged. Kyle, from the end of the hallway, takes the doorstop from the fire door, and the door shuts, locking the foe away forever and launching them.

Taunts:

Up Taunt - Kyle puts his hand on his chin and shakes his head.

Side Taunt - Kyle takes out a paperclip as the Item Collection sound effect plays.

Down Taunt - Kyle pulls out his Pinkie Rabbit Game & Watch game and plays it until the taunt is cancelled.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
nintendo kart is a dumb idea
No it's not.

It's a more popular and accessible genre than Smash's. And one where it's 10x easier to add characters, because characters don't have movesets. Making it much easier to service as many character requests as possible.

Combining the broad gameplay appeal of MK with the crossover appeal of Smash is an easy slam dunk.

the mario universe has so much untapped potential for playable characters and tracks that including all these other franchises sounds like, frankly put, a really limiting idea.
Lol, "Not limiting the game to one franchise sounds really limiting, guys!"

Whatever you say, chief.

i don't want to race on gaur plain or dreamland or any other grassy world-1 esque stage from their respective games
Good for you. There's 80-bajillion other people that would.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No it's not.

It's a more popular and accessible genre than Smash's. And one where it's 10x easier to add characters, because characters don't have movesets. Making it much easier to service as many character requests as possible.

Combining the broad gameplay appeal of MK with the crossover appeal of Smash is an easy slam dunk.

Good for you. There's 80-bajillion other people that would.
Yeah, I am one of those people who would want to play Nintendo Kart. I'd love to race on Zebes or Dreamland, or even a world in Fire Emblem. Would the team be behind such a game, though, or would it be another team that works on it?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think some of the people rooting for "Nintendo Kart" are forgetting that Mario Kart is just as well-known for creating original tracks brimming with their own brand of life. Sure, the occasional crossover Nintendo character and track is all well and good, but I wouldn't trade the original tracks for Nintendo Kart on my life.

FazDude

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind a Nintendo Kart, but it shouldn't flatout replace Mario Kart or be a spinoff down to the core gameplay. I'd much prefer a Nintendo Kart take its own approach to the genre and add things that neither MK or F-Zero have to give it its own identity and avoid it just being "Mario Kart but half the cast is gone but hey, you can play as Ridley now"

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I honestly much prefer just Mario Kart with "Nintendo Crossover" DLC Packs like we had with Mario Kart 8 and 8 Deluxe. We already have Smash for all the non Mario Nintendo franchises to be represented. But with Mario Kart, there are still so many characters from the Mario-verse yet to be represented, whether it's the mainline games (especially the 3D games), Luigi's Mansion, Warioware/Wario Land, DKC, Yoshi's Island, the upcoming Peach Showtime (if it does well, that might also become a franchise with it's own cast), the Mario RPGs, and so much more. Sure, I wouldn't mind having individual DLC packs like Samus with a Zebes track, Olimar with PNF-404 track, or Kirby with a Dream Land track, but I prefer having a large Mario roster and then sprinkling Nintendo characters on top to differentiate from Smash. Make the Nintendo characters a special event, a rarity, rather than flooding the roster with them.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind a Nintendo Kart, but it shouldn't flatout replace Mario Kart or be a spinoff down to the core gameplay. I'd much prefer a Nintendo Kart take its own approach to the genre and add things that neither MK or F-Zero have to give it its own identity and avoid it just being "Mario Kart but half the cast is gone but hey, you can play as Ridley now"
This. You just reminded me of this video that takes the idea of Smash Kart and makes it a 3D game centered on car combat, rather than racing. I think this would be the perfect middle ground since it's its own thing instead of being just Mario Kart with Samus.

If a Smash Kart took a form similar to what's presented here, it'd honestly be hype and I think everyone would be happy.
I'd be especially happy because you can play as the Waterwraith

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I guess my possibly contentious take on Kart is that I'm not even looking for a bigger roster there. Like, I think I would be content if we just stayed at the level of Mario Kart Wii's roster for the foreseeable future (not necessarily saying that's what they should do business-wise, just that I'd personally be satisfied with it).

I don't mind a few crossovers with other Nintendo franchises here and there, though I don't really find myself asking for much in that department. Partially because new drivers there are little more than skins with parameter changes. There's also the risk of inducing the crossover fatigue that we've seen in other arenas if the crossover aspects bleed too far into the traditionally Mario-only spinoffs.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I think another thing people often forget wrt the possibility of further crossover content in Mario Kart is that so far, all of the crossover stuff in MK has come from internally-developed Nintendo franchises. Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon and even F-Zero and Excitebike all fit this mold. So while I'm definitely not saying it's impossible to see so-called "second-party" Nintendo stuff joining in, I'd probably say to temper your expectations in terms of this becoming a full-blown all-out All Of Nintendo Ever crossover since that's generally beyond the scope of what we've gotten so far. I definitely see us getting the likes of Pikmin or Star Fox before, say, Kirby or Fire Emblem which would likely require some additional negotiation - not to mention Pokémon, which has traditionally been a ***** to work with.
Even if they want to, will they be given the chance? After all, their parent company Sumo Group, and by extension, them, were bought by Tencent in 2022.

And it sucks too because Sega just did the whole Sega games reveal with them trying to make an effort in bringing back some of their IPs and a new Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing would fit perfectly alongside that. 😔
If a new All-Stars Racing happens and it leaves out stuff like Puyo Puyo and Phantasy Star again I'm going to cry

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think some of the people rooting for "Nintendo Kart" are forgetting that Mario Kart is just as well-known for creating original tracks brimming with their own brand of life. Sure, the occasional crossover Nintendo character and track is all well and good, but I wouldn't trade the original tracks for Nintendo Kart on my life.
They absolutely are, don't get me wrong. I love some of the Mario Kart stages like Toad Harbor, Cloudtop Cruise, Waluigi Pinball, the Bowser Castle tracks, Rainbow Road, ticks me off that our two Mario Kart tracks in Ultimate are just Circuit stages and we didn't get Rainbow Road back. If anything, the main issue I have is more that when people assume that it'll be nothing but World 1-1 levels when the actual issue was Ultimate deciding to bring back almost all of it's stages when some of those stages were designed to be semi-replacements for the stages that didn't make it back.
And Mario Kart does that too, always having a Stadium track, a Desert track, a Mountain track, a Jungle track, an ice/snow track, a Bowser Castle track, a Rainbow Road track and a whole bunch of courses named after the characters per game. I mean, how many race tracks does DK own now?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I feel like if we were to ever get Nintendo Kart. Now would be the time.

It'd be something totally different after following Mario Kart 8 and it's enormous amount of content. A nice change instead of the standard 16 retro 16 new expected with new Mario Kart

Top Bottom