• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Update: Tether Recovery

splat

Smash Lord

tether recovery? >.>

I do find it cool that Sakurai actually says more then the update shows. There's so much more behind it. ^^

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
The quality of the updates is lowering everiday this week...
I hope tomorrow we'll have a big bang that make us speculate for the weekend
Pokemon trainer><>

Anyways that's a pretty stupid up+B. Maybe as an aerial throw move like Link and Samus, but not as an actual special move! What if there's no edges? Then ZSamus is pretty much screwed. Well, I guess she's been screwed ever since finding out Samus' Final Smash...

hm, well maybe the tether is controllable like Ness' PK Thunder or something.
Someone else had the idea too but I forget his name. :p

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Wow,another kind of lastluster update...I thought he would come up with something better,oh well,hopefully we can get something cool tomorrow.

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
jeez...this update was reall really boring...It's not as if we didn't expect that to be in the game at all....:ohwell:

IllidR

Smash Champion
Well she seems to have a little bit more range than link did last game with his grapple... but that's pretty same for an ^B. And is that Bridge of Eldin after the middle gets blown off or is there a side to the stage?

Anther

Smash Champion
Yall are saying it sucks.. but what if it sweetspots the ledge everytime?
I mean look at the boost mario got in recovery... I doubt the grapple's.. or at least Zamus's recovery would be as practice dependent as Link's and Samus's are in Melee.

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
Admittedly, if it autotargets the ledge then it wouldn't be too bad as a recovery move. In fact it'd be quite good, since it has long range. However, for it to be a truly good move, it'd have to be multipurpose I expect. Like, if you're already standing on something then when you press Up B then it can be DI'd to shoot up and strike people. Perhaps grab them from midair by wrapping the whip around their leg or arm or something sweet. In fact, it'd be awesome if you could use it to grab team mates who've been flung off the stage.

My other interest is what happens if she's got it set to pistol mode, but I suppose that's for another thread.

Loranga

Smash Rookie
i guess we have to take these ****ty updates, i mean they cant all be as great as PT. iether it can be stickers or just this.... o well

NukeA6

Smash Master
So Standard B is the Blaster and Up B is the Whip.

Hopefullty the Tether is like Sheik's whip plus some of the extended grappling beam capabilities.

Good thing Sakurai uses uniqueness instead of everyone getting the same moves.

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
Stop complaining, this week has been good because of the revealing of Pokemon Trainer! It all balances out and this update was needed in order for the balance to balance, if that makes any balance.... i mean sense.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
So it seems sakurai is trying to make Zamus worse than Samus.
Which would support that whole "Turning into Zamus is punishment for using the epic, world destroying Zero Laser" theories.

GenG

Smash Lord
Can someone translate the japanese update? I can't find the "up special move" anywhere there.

trash

Smash Rookie
Since zamus' " up b " is this grapple, i'd say it's be pretty easy to ledgeguard. just run down the stage and do a "reverse up b". Pretty helpful since no ones melee grapple could turn around.

Hound

Smash Cadet
Back to the crappy updates. =( Seriously, PT wasn't even that great this week.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I didn't expect this update. Anyways, I'm mellow when it comes to this. Like someone said before, it looks like it's be easy to ledgeguard. Besides, I don't think that laser can stay on the stage forever.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
I really don't think that the grapple "autotargets" the ledge, and I REALLY dont think you can do it backwards. Sakurai said that other characters can do it (Link, Y.Link, Samus I assume?) so if it "autotargets" then all the characters that have it just got a major boost in recovery.

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
This is NOT the same thing that was in melee.

Notice her position in the two pics, and where the tether latches. This move obviously homes in on the edges. Look how close it got! That can't possibly be luck. Plus the whip seeems to have enormous reach compared to the tether moves in Melee.

cccck

Smash Journeyman
How in the world do you guys know that is an ^B? it could be a side B for all we know... like how Luigi can recover with his Side B? It could even be a trow people!

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
This'll probably be Snake's Up B too.

Hey, I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone mentioned this... what I really want to know is if you can tether flying opponents and use them to boost your recovery...

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
How in the world do you guys know that is an ^B? it could be a side B for all we know... like how Luigi can recover with his Side B? It could even be a trow people!
It says it in the text. Read more carefully and you'll see.

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
For those who are saying how we know this is her Up+B, look back a page at Phred's post. Please. -_-

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Back to the crappy updates. =( Seriously, PT wasn't even that great this week.
It was and you know it >.>

Anyways, you can't always be showing off information that everyone likes all the time, as most of the stuff people like are just characters or cool stages. It's not good to show off everything like that all at once, y'know? Anyways, the last three updates have been nice, regardless. Devil was unexpected and raised a lot of questions, the stickers have loads of nostalgic refrences in them (Rawk Hawk!) and although today's update went over a feature from Melee, it had to be done for new comer's sake. (And it gave us ZSS's up B move)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Notice her position in the two pics, and where the tether latches. This move obviously homes in on the edges. Look how close it got! That can't possibly be luck. Plus the whip seeems to have enormous reach compared to the tether moves in Melee.
You don't know, that probably isn't her exact position when she uses the move. She could have probably fallen a bit more first. We'd have to wait until the game comes out.

The Black Cat

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I think it has homing capabilities. Yes I think it still goes up on the ground. But once it hits someone I'm expecting it to be like Falcon's of Drof's ^B, cept her body stays put leaving her less exposed to air attacks, but more to attacks from people still on the ground.

krackizwak

Smash Cadet
i think that if the grapple has enough range that it could be a very good recovery. I was thinking though that for on the ground purposes that maybe her up B is like captain falcons but with a better range, maybe she could latch onto someone and drag them down slaming them on the stage floor or if they a close enough the the edge down the side of the stage.

Pima

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it auto-targets, it all depends if it can be thrown from an angle. The pictures can't tell us if she threw it when she was horizontal to the stage or when she was a little below it

Adi

Smash Lord
What's more interesting about this update is the fact that grapple recoveries weren't in the instruction booklet for melee yet Sakurai decides to include them in an update. This means that advanced techniques might be revealed in the instruction booklet, at the very least L-cancelling and Short Hopping.

Top Bottom