• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I need some help with my ground game vs Metaknight. That is what caused me to lose a set at a tourney I went to/hosted yesterday. What things should I be doing against a MK other than the F-Tilt? I kept trying to space but he's moves so quickly and when he got in my range it became just stupid. Seriously I'm entirely sure how to deal with someone as D3 when theyre all up in youre face. We dont have that many fast options.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I need some help with my ground game vs Metaknight. That is what caused me to lose a set at a tourney I went to/hosted yesterday. What things should I be doing against a MK other than the F-Tilt? I kept trying to space but he's moves so quickly and when he got in my range it became just stupid. Seriously I'm entirely sure how to deal with someone as D3 when theyre all up in youre face. We dont have that many fast options.
well your first Problem isnt actually on the ground, its at the character select screen.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Haha so he wouldn't have beaten neo x or scatz or say...anyone at that? Get confident more. Can you accept the fact some nc D3 did well I your state? It's called super smash bros. Learn to be a bro,dude.

ZTD | TECHnology

Lol "learn to be a bro" I like that.

And I appreciate any advice I get. All these **** ICs and MKs are killing me. And there's more Olimars too. I don't even have a good secondary for Olimar. L_Cancel ***** Snakes now <_< But for now I just want to figure out this MK conundrum.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
I'm telling you man, if a mk knows the mu, it's almost unrealistic to expect a victory.

On the other hand if they don't know the mu it's rather easy, you just have to be patient. Mix your ground game up between ftilt and grabs when they get close enough. Almost always bthrow them, and do not chase, wait for them to tornado back to you, they always do.

Coney

Smash Master
yeah, if the MK doesn't know the MU it's not too difficult. the main difference will be how they throw out their fairs.

if they do, though, just go ahead and pick someone else :<

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Haha so he wouldn't have beaten neo x or scatz or say...anyone at that? Get confident more. Can you accept the fact some nc D3 did well I your state? It's called super smash bros. Learn to be a bro,dude.
The implication is that I would have told him what to do to prevent himself from getting timed out, not to take away from his wins against my state. I'm not super big on State pride, regional pride is different. Anyway I love all DDD's everyone knows that <<. Plus 4God does better than me at a lot of tournaments we both attend....well he use to. *he needs to come back*

@Tech Chase- Olimar is not that difficult, I'm sure Coney has some good advice for you on that subject. For IC's what I do is get the lead, and camp my *** off. Ban FD, go to a stage with platforms and just bait them out. If you make a sloppy UpAir or Bair punish with fallthrough platform bairs *as you should be on the platform on any stage, as to impede their ability to grab you. Once you get some momentum going, mix up punishes with Inhales, quick back/forward grabs, Bairs, and Dair OOS. If you feel uncomfortable just get back on the platform in a safe position. This matchup is all about the IC's making one mistake, and you punishing as best you can and then just resetting the position.

Mk = pick another character.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
The implication is that I would have told him what to do to prevent himself from getting timed out, not to take away from his wins against my state. I'm not super big on State pride, regional pride is different. Anyway I love all DDD's everyone knows that <<. Plus 4God does better than me at a lot of tournaments we both attend....well he use to. *he needs to come back*
Well, in that case im sorry i read your post wrong.

@Tech, listen to coney and such.

If the mk knows the matchup its... ridiculous

ZTD | TECHnology

well your first Problem isnt actually on the ground, its at the character select screen.
Coney said:
yeah, if the MK doesn't know the MU it's not too difficult. the main difference will be how they throw out their fairs.

if they do, though, just go ahead and pick someone else :<
Fogo said:
I'm telling you man, if a mk knows the mu, it's almost unrealistic to expect a victory.
T3h Albino said:
Mk = pick another character.
I see a pattern here....lol The problem here is that there are so many Snakes in Michigan that all of the Metaknights know the MU through and through. And right now there is no way I can handle Judge as Snake. I kinda want another secondary but not sure who to use. Snake is so overplayed here and I really don't have an interest in using him anyway. Suggestions? Thank you all.

*sighs* Why do all of my worst matchups have to be in this state? lol

Cory.

Smash Journeyman
thanks albi i dont like state pride either.. i just hate playing ics as dedede and i assure you i wont anymore

Coney

Smash Master
I see a pattern here....lol The problem here is that there are so many Snakes in Michigan that all of the Metaknights know the MU through and through. And right now there is no way I can handle Judge as Snake. I kinda want another secondary but not sure who to use. Snake is so overplayed here and I really don't have an interest in using him anyway. Suggestions? Thank you all.

*sighs* Why do all of my worst matchups have to be in this state? lol

honestly? you're probably screwed.

snake is good choice but there are a lot of them in MW, so it'd be hard. wario has the same issue, overpopulation of talented ones out there.

i'd say diddy or falco are your best bets, but if you can't play either of them (like me)...good luck.

honestly MW shouldn't be SO bad. you should always lose to judge and lain, as those MUs are literally impossible, but you have a definite shot against l_cancel and anther if you just develop enough. our MU with oli and pika is vastly outstated.

you're in a prime position. midwest NEEDS ddd representation, capitalize on the lack of MU experience and you'll be fine

T3h Albino

Smash Master
I play MK for MK atm, but I'm also really really beginning to enjoy wario. Both of whom are fine against mk imo.

Oh yeah! You live in the MW lol there are good Mks/snakes/warios all over that place. What coney said, pick up Diddy or Falco. Maybe even an obscure character that nobody knows the matchup to that does pretty decent vs mk *Kirby/Fox/Marth*

ZTD | TECHnology

honestly? you're probably screwed.

snake is good choice but there are a lot of them in MW, so it'd be hard. wario has the same issue, overpopulation of talented ones out there.

i'd say diddy or falco are your best bets, but if you can't play either of them (like me)...good luck.

honestly MW shouldn't be SO bad. you should always lose to judge and lain, as those MUs are literally impossible, but you have a definite shot against l_cancel and anther if you just develop enough. our MU with oli and pika is vastly outstated.

you're in a prime position. midwest NEEDS ddd representation, capitalize on the lack of MU experience and you'll be fine

Where do I begin to develop as a D3 player? I WANT to rep him here because of the severe lack of placing D3s in this area. Lain had agreed to help me but outside of that I'm not entirely sure where to begin. For starters these boards don't tell me as much as other character boards do. Though I am grateful for the prompt replies I get in this thread.

And I have a solid Falco. I just get tournament anxiety using him for some reason. But in friendlies and any other situations outside of tournaments ive gone even with some of our states top ranking players as Falco <_<

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
so... halzy this sat....

I'm considering the impossible. DDD.

oh god, even the thought sounds terrible :urg:

is it possible to outplay a mk player that knows the mu well? If so, how?

CO18

Smash Hero
judge isnt that great at the mu imo but hes still really good so it would obviously be hard lol

Coney

Smash Master
Where do I begin to develop as a D3 player? I WANT to rep him here because of the severe lack of placing D3s in this area. Lain had agreed to help me but outside of that I'm not entirely sure where to begin. For starters these boards don't tell me as much as other character boards do. Though I am grateful for the prompt replies I get in this thread.

And I have a solid Falco. I just get tournament anxiety using him for some reason. But in friendlies and any other situations outside of tournaments ive gone even with some of our states top ranking players as Falco <_<
i think the ddds are a lot more independent than most character boards...there isn't really anything here to tell you how to play or what to do, it all just comes with experience. with insight you'll see what does and doesn't work and you'll make note of it.

this video is an EXCELLENT START

ZTD | TECHnology

I have to fly on my own..but penguins don't really fly <_<

And that video was so pro not only did I learn how to play D3 but I learned stuff about other characters like Mario's D-Tilt is a surefire combostarter. Too pro Coney lol

Zwarm

Smash Hero
i think the ddds are a lot more independent than most character boards...there isn't really anything here to tell you how to play or what to do, it all just comes with experience. with insight you'll see what does and doesn't work and you'll make note of it.

this video is an EXCELLENT START
I honestly think I've learned more about DDD here than I learned about any other character I've played on their boards. Most of it's just hidden in dead threads. XD

I also love how that video actually had a few discreet useful facts thrown in there.

Cory.

Smash Journeyman
since coney is being cool i guess ill give some insight on this matchup.. i almost lost to a metaknight the other day who didnt know the matchup but knew how to space forward airs effectively.. all i can say is run around dont get uptilt happy when theyre in kill range and let the damage come to you, chances are it will with how aggresive most mks are just wait for them to mess up and i know dedede doesnt have many options to punish so this will be a long awkward process.. ive been playing mk against mk lately anyways my advice is to do the same i mean what are we ****ing 12 year old fanboys.. just let go of dedede vs mk its stupidly uneven and the only time i reccomend playing the matchup is on a nuetral that isnt battlefield if you absolutely have to play this stupd match up

ZTD | TECHnology

Eh I think I'll go Falco for this one. But I still plan on learning this match. It would be just too satisfying to beat MKs as D3.

Coney

Smash Master
I honestly think I've learned more about DDD here than I learned about any other character I've played on their boards. Most of it's just hidden in dead threads. XD

I also love how that video actually had a few discreet useful facts thrown in there.
maybe...perhaps it's just because i didn't really start coming on the boards too much until i had a solid foundation for my game, and then i kinda just developed it from there. at any rate, the boards LOOK intimidating

coney where the **** are you!
you good looking son of a *****!
!!!

what, did you want my input on the MK MU?

it sucks. don't do it.

you can beat MKs that don't know the MU and space fairs incorrectly or short hop them

honestly, i think the MU isn't so bad that, like, someone could just pick out a secret pocket MK and win. you shouldn't lose this MU to anyone but MK mains, so if you're losing to someone's underdeveloped secondary, you can do better.

but when it comes to seasoned MK mains, just go falco or something. it's yucky.

ZTD | TECHnology

I know what you mean Coney I was kind of a lurker before because I didn't want to look like a scrub in front of the more experience people. But I figured that I am not going get any better if I don't ask the questions I don't have the answers to. After a while you just don't care. I'm new to D3 but I can answer Snake and Falco questions so it makes me feel good whenever I can help people. But now I have another character to learn <_<

Cory.

Smash Journeyman
its the counter picks though.. brinstar and norfair, someone could beat you with a secret mk on those stages if theyre a smart player

CO18

Smash Hero
Norfair doesnt help mk at all unless he planks. Brinstar is bad though only because nado is a ***** on that stage to punish

I dont mind norfair at all, less gimpable and easier to get back on to the stage from the ledge without getting punished then its rediculously hard for mk to kill you if you just camp the bottom at high percents

CO18

Smash Hero
I dunno ive never really been hit by it there lol its pretty obvious and you have what is it 3 ledges to choose from when returning

Coney

Smash Master
its the counter picks though.. brinstar and norfair, someone could beat you with a secret mk on those stages if theyre a smart player
yeah, that's exactly why i picked up wario

against someone you suspect has an MK, just go ddd and ban cruise. if they have a gay CP, pick a gay character

Cory.

Smash Journeyman
co, they can do that gay SL where it like goes from one edge to the next face it man its way faster than us lol

wait were all co
i guess its just personal experience and the fact that i absolutely hate any kind of stage hazards whatsoever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom