• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Killing with Sonic (WIP)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
So, I've come to a conclusion recently. Part of what seperates decent players from good players, and good players from great players is their game knowledge.

Something that we all know holds back sonic as a character is his killing power. Now we've found ways to circumvent this, such as learning ways to land charged smashes and comboing into our back airs. But even with all that, a lot of us still dont kill when we should and it leads to us being damaged more than we should and at times losing matches that we could have and should have won.

The best and most important thing we can do for our character that already cant kill well is at least not use our kill moves before they kill. And the best way to avoid using kill moves prematurely, is to know exactly when our moves will kill.

Ive finally gotten a guinea pig (Big thanks and credit to San) to sit down with me long enough to find some concrete kill numbers.

The info that I did get took a good while, and I did some stuff for my other characters (fox and falco) so I dont have much at the moment, but heres what I have so far.

These numbers I discerned are GUARANTEED to kill the character they are listed for, on Final Destination, WITH the BEST POSSIBLE DI AND MOMENTUM CANCEL.
:metaknight: (Note: Mk may still survive these percents by using the up air to drill rush method to momentum cancel, but should that happen it should be a guaranteed kill anyway just by following up or grabbing the ledge.
Forward Smash:
Hitting at the edge of the stage: 98%
Center of the stage: 120%
Hitting across the stage: 128%

:snake:
Forward smash:
Edge of the stage: 120%
Center Stage: 153%
Across stage: 168%

Best part about this list, is that you can use the concepts that
- Each full 360 degree wind of the f smash takes ~5% off of the percent needed to kill.
- Down smash is generally 10% weaker than f smash.
- Each staling of the f smash adds ~5% to the percent needed to kill.
- People dont always have the perfect DI and momentum cancel
- SDR full charged does about 10% and thus reduces the bair kill % by the same amount if you choose to go for a SDR to bair combo for a kill.

To generally figure out what percent you need your opponent at to kill them from which ever move you choose. This will in effect lessen the guess work that goes into deciding how to punish an opponent that you believe may be in kill percents. And thus effectively help a ton with our KO issues.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
go ahead and do your thing K.I.D good stuff. Quick question; could you find out when nair kills at the edge of the stage. Nair OoS can do some work sometimes and i know you are looking at perfect DIing numbers, id also want to know when it kills without perfect DI since it has a tendency to catch ppl in bad DI ala MK's nair OoS.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

:metaknight: (Note: Mk may still survive these percents by using the up air to drill rush method to momentum cancel, but should that happen it should be a guaranteed kill anyway just by following up or grabbing the ledge.

You made an error already.
MK ssers never Uair~~~>drill.

They do Uair~>jump~>Uairr~> jump to momentum cancel.

MK's Uair shortens the frames he has to wait to perform another double jump, which further reduces the momentum he takes.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
You made an error already.
MK ssers never Uair~~~>drill.

They do Uair~>jump~>Uairr~> jump to momentum cancel.

MK's Uair shortens the frames he has to wait to perform another double jump, which further reduces the momentum he takes.
whats wrong with you? thats the first method any meta uses ( uair> jump> uair) however uair> drill rush saves them. Its like DK's momentum cancel. Some meta's use it when they are absolutely going to die. Tyrant uses it at times; u can see it in one of my vids. So think before you speak. You always are quick to call out someone; only to give trash posts. I swear you've never beaten anyone decent in your life. How about you lurk more instead of giving terrible insight to your horrendous skill set?

I mean hes trying to make a decent thread to help out fellow Sonic mains. Theres no need to be knockin it for no reason. Thats all you ever do; let the man do his thing in his thread. If you see issue with info, bring about proof and go from there. You're arguing about something so trivial just to argue.

@ KID: Anyways keep going strong with the thread; while some of us know this data already, it would be good to have for the new mains we got. Good stuff. Quick question is this thread also going to showcase things such as moves that can be punished with kill moves on block? Something I havent see from some Sonics is a bair OoS vs the tall characters. Its actually our best kill move in terms of speed. Having something that would be great; especially against D3, Marth, and Snake. This thread has some potential

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hmmm... I never thought of that but I could might be able to expand the thread to include that maybe.

but I can already tell you, its going to be a LONG LONG time before this thread is complete.

Top Bottom