• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Golden Sun franchise discussion thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I don't want to catastrophize, but if Nintendo's next thing releases by next year, it's not inconceivable they may just start the Tennis/Golf loop again and release one of those maybe in 2024.

I certainly hope not. This next Camelot game could go either way, system-wise. But whatever it is, if it releases for the Switch after the new system is out, I worry about how well it will perform. If it's Mario something, that wouldn't really be a big deal, Mario will always continue. If it's Golden Sun... that'd be really disadvantageous timing for a series that... isn't inherently an assured success. And has already had its fair share of bad timing.

Ideally it would be Golden Sun, and release within the successor's launch window, giving it that boost (which GS1 also probably benefitted from). That would still give them time for Tennis and Golf within that system's lifespan. And there's probably already going to be both another Mario Kart and high-profile Mario platformer (probably from the Odyssey team) coming close to launch on that thing (especially since they won't have a launch Zelda) given both those teams have clearly been working on something for a while, so yet another Mario wouldn't exactly be needed.
Yes, I agree that if Camelot's next project is for Ninty's next hardware, then it is less likely to be Golden Sun and more likely to be Mario sports again.

And I agree that having GS at the end of the Switch's lifecycle again could be bad for its sales. However, I feel getting it towards the end of the Switch era might be the only way to get it, in which case I will easily take it over nothing.

Other than the more dream-like scenario of getting brand-new GS as a launch game on the next hardware, the next-best thing for the series I feel is for the Switch to hang on through 2024/2025, leaving ample room for a new GS (say in 2024) to take advantage of that install base before they head off to presumably greener pastures. IMO rooting for the Switch to last a little longer and for us to get GS on Switch in like 2024 is kind of a middle ground between the fantasy of GS being a launch game and the doom-and-gloom of a new GS being DOA due to launching in the Switch's twilight.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I don't want to catastrophize, but if Nintendo's next thing releases by next year, it's not inconceivable they may just start the Tennis/Golf loop again and release one of those maybe in 2024.

I certainly hope not. This next Camelot game could go either way, system-wise. But whatever it is, if it releases for the Switch after the new system is out, I worry about how well it will perform. If it's Mario something, that wouldn't really be a big deal, Mario will always continue. If it's Golden Sun... that'd be really disadvantageous timing for a series that... isn't inherently an assured success. And has already had its fair share of bad timing.

Ideally it would be Golden Sun, and release within the successor's launch window, giving it that boost (which GS1 also probably benefitted from). That would still give them time for Tennis and Golf within that system's lifespan. And there's probably already going to be both another Mario Kart and high-profile Mario platformer (probably from the Odyssey team) coming close to launch on that thing (especially since they won't have a launch Zelda) given both those teams have clearly been working on something for a while, so yet another Mario wouldn't exactly be needed.
I'd be a little more optimistic personally. Mario Golf had it's file size already on it's eShop page when it was announced in February 2021 which is a good indicator to tell us that game wrapped base-game development much earlier and I'd assume their next project would've started development around the second half of 2020 at the latest. Before you bring up DLC for that game, they'd most likely have a smaller part of their company and some internal Nintendo dev teams to help with that on the side. I think Camelot's next project will still have the Switch in mind as I don't think they would've received dev kits for the Switch successor that far back as well. Plus the Switch successor coming out next year is just speculation right now, there isn't much leading to that being definitively the case at this point.

Also I feel like a late-life game on the Switch would generally fair better in general than in the DS era. Social media is a much different beast than in 2010 and the Switch has has a more consistently high attach rate throughout it's life in comparison. I think it's fairly possible that the Switch would share an ecosystem with it's successor fairly closely since I feel Nintendo would want to hold onto the large userbase for a little while longer

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I'd be a little more optimistic personally. Mario Golf had it's file size already on it's eShop page when it was announced in February 2021 which is a good indicator to tell us that game wrapped base-game development much earlier and I'd assume their next project would've started development around the second half of 2020 at the latest. I think Camelot's next project will still have the Switch in mind as I don't think they would've received dev kits for the Switch successor that far back as well.
Games have their file sizes listed on the site before they go gold. Ultimate's was up two months before base development finished, which was in November 2018, only one month before it launched. Currently Pikmin 4 (the title furthest away with a date) has its file size up, and... it's possible the game is done development, but it's still five months away, so it's also very possible it isn't.

So that evidence is inadmissible.

Plus the Switch successor coming out next year is just speculation right now, there isn't much leading to that being definitively the case at this point.
It's a pretty reasonable prediction though, given the console's age.

Also I feel like a late-life game on the Switch would generally fair better in general than in the DS era. Social media is a much different beast than in 2010 and the Switch has has a more consistently high attach rate throughout it's life in comparison. I think it's fairly possible that the Switch would share an ecosystem with it's successor fairly closely since I feel Nintendo would want to hold onto the large userbase for a little while longer
I think a late-life game would fare better on the Switch than the DS too, but I also made the distinction of a game that released after the next thing is already out. Then I think we could be in trouble. I think the moment the next thing gets announced, it will impact software sales, but especially once its released.

But yeah, if Camelot's game releases this holiday, for example, and we don't learn about the next thing until next year when it releases, then I'd expect the game to still perform pretty well, despite being seven years into the Switch's life.

Smash Lord
This crossed my mind and I'd love to hear how you guys would want a project tackling the GS crew between TLA and DD to be handled

SPEN18

Smash Champion
This crossed my mind and I'd love to hear how you guys would want a project tackling the GS crew between TLA and DD to be handled
Sounds like extra story DLC content for a GS1+2 remake.

Smash Lord
Sounds like extra story DLC content for a GS1+2 remake.
Extra story content in a Golden Sun remake would be very enticing in general, I'd love if they really show us the way the party's actions was really perceived to be both heroic and controversial by different towns and also maybe a little hint on what happened to Sheba and Felix.

Smash Lord
Well Derrick Bitner from GoodVibesGaming finally released his retrospective about Golden Sun.

He mostly gives a general history lesson about Camelot and brief rundowns of the games we are already familiar with but it's nice that a YouTube channel that NOA would be aware of is giving our favorite series some exposure

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Alright GS fans, Direct is imminent. Maybe we will find out what Camelot's next project is.

All the buzz is for SMRPG, but maybe another classic sprite-based RPG can steal the spotlight...one can hope, at least.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Alright GS fans, Direct is imminent. Maybe we will find out what Camelot's next project is.

All the buzz is for SMRPG, but maybe another classic sprite-based RPG can steal the spotlight...one can hope, at least.
It would be a big day for fanbase favorites.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

TBF, the rumor suggested an SNES favorite...

SPEN18

Smash Champion
TBF, the rumor suggested an SNES favorite...
I know. Us seeing Camelot's next project or not is independent from those rumors being true or not. I was just suggesting that it's not always the thing with the most buzz that ends up stealing the show.

Smash Lord
We live in an era where Geno is finally relevant again, never say never to making your dreams come true adepts 🌞

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
First Advance Wars and now SMRPG gets a remake? I sense a pattern here, in the most known Smash fan logic, lol. No but seriously, they are giving fans who kept demanding for their franchise / old game to return, what they have asked for SO long. We can't stop making it clear, not even with NSO ports. GS4 has to happen and complete the story, and if we still get a remake of the first games (which is very needed to introduce a whole new audience at this point), then great too. Let's not give up guys, they are clearly listening to some wild WILD fan demand. Advance Wars wasn't even among the top 40 best sellers of the GBA, and SMRPG wasn't even in PAL regions, so this is indeed huge for all fans asking for miracles like these to happen.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
So I am hung up on the fact that nobody seems to know what's going on with Pyoro's "what will close the Direct?" tweet.

I assume that they did that to make people start guessing, and then for them to cryptically like responses with correct guesses.

But I haven't heard of any further updates regarding this Pyoro bit, so does this mean that the Direct closer will be something nobody is guessing???
Wild stab: maybe it could be Golden Sun.

We still don't know Camelot's next project, and absolutely nobody is guessing GS.

(I might be off the rocker for real this time)

Smash Lord
In case you guys missed it, Fumihide Aoki recently revealed never before seen concept art for Golden Sun Dark Dawn

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Man there's been so little activity in here I can't even post that pic again without it looking like spam, even though it's three months later lol

Did we get any confirmation on who's doing the SMRPG remake or Peach Showtime?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Man there's been so little activity in here I can't even post that pic again without it looking like spam, even though it's three months later lol

Did we get any confirmation on who's doing the SMRPG remake or Peach Showtime?
Idk but I doubt it's Camelot?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Here are links to the nintendo.com pages for Golf and Tennis:

Note the CAMELOT copyright at the very bottom.

Here's the page for Peach Showtime:

No CAMELOT copyright in that same place at the bottom.

Soft confirmation that this game is not by Camelot?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Golden Sun lost its chance at being on the Switch (barring the GBA app).

It's too late in the cycle. If one is in development, I'd say it's probably for the new console.

But hey, if F-Zero can come back somehow, maybe Golden Sun can too.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think Golden Sun lost its chance at being on the Switch (barring the GBA app).

It's too late in the cycle. If one is in development, I'd say it's probably for the new console.

Whatever Camelot is working on, you'd think it would show up in 2024. Probably, right?

If their next game is on the next console then that means they only had time to do Tennis and Golf but nothing else on Switch. Which would be a shame because it seemed that maybe the Switch would last long enough that they'd be able to fit Tennis, Golf, and a something else (hopefully GS) within one system lifeycle.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Here are links to the nintendo.com pages for Golf and Tennis:

Note the CAMELOT copyright at the very bottom.

Here's the page for Peach Showtime:

No CAMELOT copyright in that same place at the bottom.

Soft confirmation that this game is not by Camelot?
It would seem to be inconsistent with the other series/sub-series co-created with Camelot. Now, granted, it has been a very long time since Camelot actually co-created a series with Nintendo, so now the protocol may be something else, at least in terms of fully-owned proprietary IP like Mario, but this seems like strong, though not 100% definitive evidence they aren't the dev.

Though they probably aren't. Even before this find. Though this compounds it.

Well being an early game on the next thing would be pretty huge in its own right, but unfortunately we're at the point where after Super Rush, Camelot having moved right back to Tennis or Golf for early release on Switch 2 seems pretty plausible as well.

Just gotta wait and see at this point...

Though forget F-Zero, forget even Advance Wars, if Famicom Detective Club and Trace Memory can come back... you'd think at least a remake of GS seems doable. I think it just needs a dev who has the time/manpower (which Camelot may not) and the greenlight from Nintendo/Camelot.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
In case you guys missed it, Fumihide Aoki recently revealed never before seen concept art for Golden Sun Dark Dawn

Nice to see some concept art for Dark Dawn.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
So, will we be finding out what Camelot is working on in 2024? Will it be releasing in 2024?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If it is, it better be something ambitious if it's taking so long...
It's not taking that long. It took three years between Aces and Super Rush. Before that the previous tennis game was three years before Aces.

Also if it is a tennis or golf game, it's obviously intended for the new system and always would've been, so even if it were ready, it wouldn't release before that system. If it's ready well before it released, it would be sat on until used strategically in their release schedule.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
If Camelot's next game is indeed for the next system, then that means that not even the massively successful Switch lasted long enough for Camelot to put out anything more than a single Tennis and Golf game on it...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
America: A surprisingly elaborate trailer
Japan: Hey guys...golden sun is out I guess

Top Bottom