• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

beans

Smash Lord
Changed my avatar to show some support

Wasn't the consensus that Luminary would be a costume for Erdrick since they were always mentioned with each other? I mean Crafted Yoshi has an alt and Crafted World isn't even out yet.
Different proportions were an arguemnt against this possibility.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Im literally so torn as to whether or not Geno will make it in or not. I tend not to look at little small details, as the Grinch leak showed us that the biggest "leaks" can be totally bogus.

K.Rool's and Ridley's presence alone is very promising, as it shows the devs are listening to what.
However, I find him to be a rather irrelevant character in the Grand Scheme of Nintendo's history.
i wouldnt call him irrelevant in the grand scheme, he symbolized a partnership between nintendo and square and with pokemon popularizes rpgs in the west

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But doesn't that contradict what people are saying about the Luminary, since DQ11 came out in 2017?
My thought on this is that since Luminary and Erdrick were said to virtually always be mentioned together, they'd probably just go with Erdrick since he's the lead hero of Dragon Quest. Luminary and Slime beating out Erdrick makes no sense. It's like if Ike was in Smash Bros before Marth or Rosalina before Mario. Having both further complicates things with DQ already being legally complicated. I'm very hard pressed to believe that they'd fight for both. For the best rep for Dragon Quest, it's inarguably Erdrick.

Add in: I've also heard the argument that Luminary is also a title in Dragon Quest like Hero and Erdrick falls into both categories.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
My thought on this is that since Luminary and Erdrick were said to virtually always be mentioned together, they'd probably just go with Erdrick since he's the lead hero of Dragon Quest. Luminary and Slime beating out Erdrick makes no sense. It's like if Ike was in Smash Bros before Marth or Rosalina before Mario. Having both further complicates things with DQ already being legally complicated. I'm very hard pressed to believe that they'd fight for both. For the best rep for Dragon Quest, it's inarguably Erdrick.

Add in: I've also heard the argument that Luminary is also a title in Dragon Quest like Hero and Erdrick falls into both categories.
I haven't really thought of it that way, but it does make sense when you put it that way. Erdrick is pretty much the Marth or Cloud of DQ

D

Deleted member

This thread is moving really fast. Anyways, I just want everyone to remember, even if Geno isn't playable, he and Super Mario RPG have been acknowledged by Sakurai and Nintendo, in the article in 2016, Super Mario RPG on the SNES Classic, the Geno Mii costume in Smash 4, the battle token and spirit in Ultimate, and the tweet "Are you team Mallow or team Geno?" We have won either way, Geno is heard, and Geno does need to be in Smash, but he isn't forgotten. He will always be remembered, and him coming, which I think he will, along with Super Mario RPG, will be the chocolate ice-cream on top of the vanilla ice-cream on top of the bundt (heh). We always have Super Smash Bros Legacy.

Another thing, Square Enix may have wanted Cloud to be DLC, so it is likely to get another Square Enix rep, most likely one that only needs Square Enix, which we have come to most likely Sephiroth vs Geno. This is the ULTIMATE version of Smash, the most requested and fan favorite characters join. This is Geno's time. This is where he makes his big return. This is where Square Enix finally listens to the fans to bring back Geno. Even if people think they may want to push for a more relevant character, I am confident that for at least once, they don't care about making the absolute most money. I am confident that Square Enix will choose Geno

Last edited by a moderator:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I haven't really thought of it that way, but it does make sense when you put it that way. Erdrick is pretty much the Marth or Cloud of DQ
He's both kinda. But he's more Marth lore wise as his legend is passed down
If we want the "Cloud" of DQ as in, a character who had worldwide appeal it would be the Hero of DQ VIII who's game sold around 6million worldwide...which is extremely impressive for Dragon Quest.

That's why Erdrick would be best choice if they want to go the "Marth route" Eight for the "Cloud route" and Eleven for the "Revelancy route" also known as the "Corrin route"

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Corrin route's a bad route to go, especially if you don't get an A relationship with Kaze. (God, I was so pissed about this that I almost stopped playing altogether. The game didn't even bother hinting what would happen... It's been like 8 months and I'm still mad about this.)

domriver

Smash Lord
I have a hare-brained theory about the Square Enix situation. I must note, this is only conjecture on the current narrative and not necessarily the only one I think is possible.

-It's late 2015. Sakurai is putting together a basic plan for Smash Ultimate. Pretty much everyone is invited back who worked on Smash 4. Sakurai asks Square if it's okay to expect Geno and Cloud for Ultimate because, after all, he's already gotten permission to use their assets before. "Sure, why not?" There seems to be a mutual understanding and things go forward from there.

-Fast forward to after Ultimate began development. Some basic things have been made for Geno. Maybe a working model and some spirits. Sakurai goes back to Square for Cloud stuff. "It's cool that you're letting Cloud be DLC again." "Nani dafuq?!" "Yeah, I thought we agreed on this..."

-Sakurai's idea was probably to have Cloud and Geno in base like Ryu and Ken and all the previous DLC characters. Square probably argued for Cloud to be DLC because they figured he'd make more money than Geno. Sakurai's not having it. "Look man, Cloud's a big deal. People would happily pay for him again." "Yeah, so? I love your mom but I don't expect to pay EVERYTIME I want to have a good time with her!" People get pissy and negotiations go south.

-Square at this point is threatening to pull out entirely. No Cloud means no Everyone is Here. Sakurai: "Why can't you be normal?!" Square: *screams in money* It's super tense. Square is deaf to any other suggestions. Sora is unfortunately given a cigarette lighter and a potato peeler by Square and told to eat a hot slice of their *** and shown the door when he's suggested.

-An agreement is reached: Cloud in base, Geno as DLC but all the negotiations mean work has barely budged on Geno, offering a possible explanation to the alleged empty fighter data that was totally scrubbed in the base game (another theory made by others is that this was supposed to be Chun Li). Cloud is one of the last if not last veteran to return, matching narratives we've heard. The SMRPG spirits are kept but the fight was so aggressive that they don't liscense old artwork for Cloud. All FF content is pretty much copy and pasted from Smash 4. Square isn't super happy with the decision but they still get paid DLC in the end. Sakurai probably wanted Cloud and Geno in base, probably to go along with fan favorite reveals like Ridley and K. Rool, but whatever; one less DLC character to think of. It's a workable compromise either way.

This narrative possibly explains why a Square rep was known since the summer and why it's very heavily implied to be the first one to be out of the gate. This also goes with the narrative of Polar Panda's source's sources talking about a Geno rumor, Jon from GameExplain's unusual confidence in the character as far back as September, why Geno was the only character aside from Ken in the Grinch Leak that insiders and even admins on Resetera didn't heavily deny or dismiss (to clarify: to ever be in the game as playable or planned), etc. Again, this is just one possible explanation for things that have transpired so far and just based on bits of pieces that have come up over the months.
Sounds like this happened. - Then again when you think about - you would THINK it would be the other way around in all of this. I mean companies should be BEGGING Nintendo to let their characters be in Smash ( like Snake). Now that I think about it when Sakurai said that he had to twist arms and such to make this happen he was probably talking about his negotiations with Square Enix which makes sense.

This thread is moving really fast. Anyways, I just want everyone to remember, even if Geno isn't playable, he and Super Mario RPG have been acknowledged by Sakurai and Nintendo, in the article in 2016, Super Mario RPG on the SNES Classic, the Geno Mii costume in Smash 4, the battle token and spirit in Ultimate, and the tweet "Are you team Mallow or team Geno?" We have won either way, Geno is heard, and Geno does need to be in Smash, but he isn't forgotten. He will always be remembered, and him coming, which I think he will, along with Super Mario RPG, will be the chocolate ice-cream on top of the vanilla ice-cream on top of the bundt (heh). We always have Super Smash Bros Legacy.

Another thing, Square Enix may have wanted Cloud to be DLC, so it is likely to get another Square Enix rep, most likely one that only needs Square Enix, which we have come to most likely Sephiroth vs Geno. This is the ULTIMATE version of Smash, the most requested and fan favorite characters join. This is Geno's time. This is where he makes his big return. This is where Square Enix finally listens to the fans to bring back Geno. Even if people think they may want to push for a more relevant character, I am confident that for at least once, they don't care about making the absolute most money. I am confident that Square Enix will choose Geno
I hope that this is the case. Geno is the only character left on my list. That i have wanted for many many many years. Smash WiiU/3DS he had been acknowledged by Nintendo and Sakurai. It was a very good sign for him for future installments of Smash - now that we are here well im hoping this is Geno's big step!!!!!!!!!!!

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Corrin route's a bad route to go, especially if you don't get an A relationship with Kaze. (God, I was so pissed about this that I almost stopped playing altogether. The game didn't even bother hinting what would happen... It's been like 8 months and I'm still mad about this.)
You're mad about what? Kaze? Who's that?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
"something telling about the VGAs"

"nothing to do with Smash"

SMRPG remake get hyped bois(?)

I hope what was seen wasn't Metroid Prime Trilogy (or Prime 4?) because NateDrake already slipped up about it.

However, what if...

we were getting...

...Sans & Papyrus amiibo?!?!?!

Last edited:

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
offering a possible explanation to the alleged empty fighter data that was totally scrubbed in the base game (another theory made by others is that this was supposed to be Chun Li)
Wait hold on, someone tell me about this theory more. Does it ties with the 30 more fighters found in the data? That's the only thing I can think of.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait hold on, someone tell me about this theory more. Does it ties with the 30 more fighters found in the data? That's the only thing I can think of.
No, from what I understand there's allegedly the coding equivalent of a casket in the base game meant for a character but there's nothing in it. It's totally scrubbed heavily implying it was once for a character but nobody knows who as there's no clues. The most popular theory is Chun Li based on a narrative (I don't know the origin) of Sakurai trying to make her work, failed, and then, IIRC, scrapped her entirely for Ken (?).

paper roxy

Smash Ace
No, from what I understand there's allegedly the coding equivalent of a casket in the base game meant for a character but there's nothing in it. It's totally scrubbed heavily implying it was once for a character but nobody knows who as there's no clues. The most popular theory is Chun Li based on a narrative (I don't know the origin) of Sakurai trying to make her work, failed, and then, IIRC, scrapped her entirely for Ken (?).
if chun li was scrapped entirely for ken itd make sense for ken to be in that roster slot instead of just having a casket

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh you mean the Character getting scrapped Early on because of the Number 92 not being used?

Supposedly and if I remember correctly Vaanrose explained that whoever was at that spot is either a first party or never was used/past conception As it was coded early on alongside Inkling/Isabelle/Incineroar and third parties mostly end up in the lower part of said list-

Might be remembering wrong but he did answer to this when people went crazy for MH content supposedly being cut.

domriver

Smash Lord
Interesting - I would have loved Chun Li. Haven't played Street Fighter in a while but she masters in kicks right?

beans

Smash Lord
10 bucks it Pirana Plant
The work done on it makes me think it was meant to be base, but not high priority.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If Chun li was replaced with Ken, that'd be a huge mistake.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Part of the reason why Sephiroth may actually make it in. Sure, Geno is VASTLY more popular than Sephiroth in Smash, but... elsewhere? Not to mention the fact that Sephiroth has a substantially more solid future with FF7 ports and remake around the corner, and even if Geno can garner superior sales to Sephiroth (which I do not doubt), there's no certainty in another SMRPG from SE and Nintendo, Sephiroth just seems like the smarter investment in the long run too. This may be the chance for Smash fans to get to know an ironically "obscure" character like Sephiroth.

-**** I meant to quote Luxent lmao-

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I was gonna mention the “character to cross promote” thing.

While probably true and with good evidence, FFVII, however, is already being cross promoted with Cloud. Sephiroth would only be there to supplement. There’s no new release that year to warrant a Sephiroth cross promo unless they’re double promoting. And only to give us two more pieces of FF Music and another FF stage? It’s all kind of redundant to me. The only character that would be good for cross promo would be a DQ one unless there’s something new we simply don’t know about

Last edited:

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Part of the reason why Sephiroth may actually make it in. Sure, Geno is VASTLY more popular than Sephiroth in Smash, but... elsewhere? Not to mention the fact that Sephiroth has a substantially more solid future with FF7 ports and remake around the corner, and even if Geno can garner superior sales to Sephiroth (which I do not doubt), there's no certainty in another SMRPG from SE and Nintendo, Sephiroth just seems like the smarter investment in the long run too. This may be the chance for Smash fans to get to know an ironically "obscure" character like Sephiroth.

-**** I quoted the wrong person lol-
For sure. I think Geno still makes more sense. I mean the people that are most likely to buy the pass and pay extra for something they already own are Smash fans. I think the first DLC is the most important, as it's what gets people invested in the pass. Then they could do something like Sephiroth later, as people are already invested. Sephiroth is iconic, but do you think he'll pull more hardcore people into buying the pass than Geno? Maybe

Last edited:

Kektendo

Smash Rookie
The problem I see with Sephiroth is the tracks he would come with, as I believe the composer who owns the FF7 music is on some sort of sabbatical trip. I don't think Square would go get him. Maybe negotiations were made before his trip idk.

For sure. I think Geno still makes more sense. I mean the people that are most likely to buy the pass and pay extra for something they already own are Smash fans. I think the first DLC is the most important, as it's what gets people invested in the pass. Then they could do something like Sephiroth later, as people are already invested. Sephiroth is iconic, but do you think he'll pull more hardcore people into buying the pass than Geno? Maybe
I feel like more casual fans, mainly kids, would gravitate more to Geno, and would buy him over Sephiroth, as his design is more approaching.

Last edited:

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Oh damn, this is interesting, thanks for clarifying.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did anyone reveal if the mallow spirit has any special effects?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
It is to Enix as they are the one's handing out the IPs, and care about long term sales more.
when you're trying to appeal to mainly kids and smash fans, sephiroths design just isnt gonna win too many over other than final fantasy fans, so long term sales (which would most likely be kids getting the game throughout the switch's lifetime) wouldn't necessarily work out imo.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Hey guys, decided to quit lurking around here and actually post my support for Geno. Mainly, I've just been hanging out in the Elma support thread, but I might as well branch out a little. While I never personally played SMRPG, I see why Geno is so beloved and I really appreciate not only his design, but also the fact that he's a gun based character, which would be such a breath of fresh air for Smash.

As far as everything with leaks goes, I think that if Geno's ever going to get in, it'll probably be now. That's a very exciting thought.

Good luck and hopefully we will see Geno in Smash soon enough! :)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
10 bucks it Pirana Plant
The work done on it makes me think it was meant to be base, but not high priority.
Except all the stat data for PP is already in the game:

http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/RunSpeed

http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/AirSpeed

http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/WalkSpeed

http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/Weight

As for being in the base, that's also been theorized and people have come to the conclusion that they just simply ran out of time on it.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Random thing: Roy got posted onto the blog today, this only leaves Mewtwo left to be posted.

Mewtwo was the first DLC character announced for Smash 4 a day or so before the game launched.

The Game Awards are a day before the game launches.

What does this mean.
You might actually be onto something. They could mention the DLC in its post. It's probably just a coincidence though lol

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If the blank spot isn't Plant, that's strange. Sakurai said in the article that no character was fully cut from the original project plan, and we know via it's placement it was a first party so like, who or what would that even be? Hm.

Geno would fit if he's considered a Mario character like in the Spirits selection but I don't know...

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Sakurai came into the thread, personally confirmed Geno himself, and then proceeded to send enough money to everyone's PayPal accounts to go out and buy a six pack to celebrate. Sucks you missed it.
I personally was impressed by the Geno cosplay he showed off. Such intricate details in the woodwork, cape, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom