• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Characters I actively don't want? Honestly, these mostly consist of joke characters like Bubsy or non-video game characters, since I'm fine with basically any character whether I want them or not (none of the DLC characters were characters I want but I'm still happy with each inclusion) but I'm not gonna pretend there aren't a few characters whose inclusion would slightly irk me.
  • Any starter Pokemon not named Decidueye - Many people have touched on the oversaturation of starter Pokemon in the Pokemon roster, and I agree. There are 900 Pokemon out there, and only choosing the starters is ignoring a lot of potential. Doesn't help that I don't like a single one of the Gen 8 starters, despite me thinking they're the most likely newcomer. I'm biased towards Decidueye though since they've been my most wanted since before this ride started and I'm not gonna back out just because it's unrealistic. Do I see it happening? No, but still.
  • Retro characters - I'm gonna be completely 100% honest. I always found retro characters to be a boring subject, and I'm glad Ultimate seemingly decided to do away with them. I'm not even gonna touch on the fact almost every big first-party NES games is already represented by a character because between Geno and Decidueye, I don't exactly value being "essential" to be in Smash. I value characters who come from cool games and can do cool ****, and while the latter is probably true for some of them, the former is not in my opinion. If we're adding characters that could be considered "retro", I'd rather Sakurai go beyond the NES and add a newer character that is still old enough to have that status. So basically Isaac.
  • Jonesy Fortnite - No, it's not because "Fortnite bad" or "zoomer game" (even if I don't particularly care for Fortnite either). I just don't think I can really wrap my head around this idea right now. Maybe in a couple of years, when Fortnite is cemented as the important game that it's probably going to be for years to come, but right now it just comes off as kind of cynical. Jonesy doesn't even seem that interesting moveset-wise.
Those are all I can really think of off the top of my head. I could also go ahead and say what I think about most old guard requests that I'm not personally invested in, but I'd rather keep those thoughts to myself.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What.
Look, I may not be in the best state of mind for this right now, but I really fail to follow your logic here. How am I gatekeeping your wants by calling you out for gatekeeping other people's wants?
You literally said "not all of them are fine to want". I'm pretty sure saying something is not fine to want is inherently gatekeeping, unless I'm missing something.
I'm not gatekeeping- that implies having power over others.
I'm, as I said, stating my opinion- to me they are stupid wants. What I want is for those characters to not get in.

And thus, if you are telling me my wants are unacceptable, then you are gatekeeping my wants as much as you accuse me of doing.
...what does that have to do with anything?
They take the 'new' down before we get a new character, and it hasn't been done just the day before.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Considering the Smash site still says, "New" on Kazuya, I doubt we are about to get the next character.

I mean all that really might mean is that the release date is not soon, we could still get a reveal this month.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'm not gatekeeping- that implies having power over others.
I'm, as I said, stating my opinion- to me they are stupid wants. What I want is for those characters to not get in.

And thus, if you are telling me my wants are unacceptable, then you are gatekeeping my wants as much as you accuse me of doing.
Okay, I think I understand your position now.
My position is that caring about what video game characters other people want in a video game made for babies is a waste of energy. I don't think it's unacceptable, just a waste of energy.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So while we wait for the direct announcement in a few days, I'm going to list my 5 characters that could be the final fighter. Feel free to share your 5 characters that could be the final fighter.
Ryu Hayabusa
Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)
Hayabusa
Master Chief
The 'busa

Bill Rizer
Bill Rizer & Lance Bean
Bill Rizer / Lance Bean

Nobody ever mentions Tabuu but I think he'd be such an insanely cool final addition to the game.
Gross. Like...straight up offensive.

Wasting a slot on a Smash OC. And a paid DLC slot no less.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
If they were to add a Sony character to this game who would you pick?

My top 2 are Kratos and Nathan Drake just because I feel like Kratos is a natural pick and I love the Uncharted games.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Okay, I think I understand your position now.
My position is that caring about what video game characters other people want in a video game made for babies is a waste of energy. I don't think it's unacceptable, just a waste of energy.
If it was actually made for babies that'd be even more reason for people to care what kind of characters they put in there.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ryu Hayabusa
Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)
Hayabusa
Master Chief
The 'busa

Gross. Like, straight up offensive.

Lol, you seem pretty confident on Ryu Hyabusa. I would totally be down for him but he's probably my third choice for an NES rep behind Battletoads and Bill Rizer. I was under the impression that the developer interviews basically deconfirmed him. I do agree that a Koei-Tecmo character makes a ton of sense though so I would personally go with Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was under the impression that the developer interviews basically deconfirmed him.
A clever ruse.

I'm curious, if push comes to shove, would Nintendo be open to buying Sonic from Sega? I can see a metric ton of perks for such a financial decision
I'd rather Nintendo bought the entire gaming arm of Konami.

So many great iconic IPs, rich with Nintendo history, going to waste...

Probably cheaper than buying Sonic too.

I mean, they have to every game.

They can't just magically use Sonic when they feel like it.
Unless those are the terms of the original deal. That Nintendo has right of renewal.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
If it was actually made for babies that'd be even more reason for people to care what kind of characters they put in there.
This is just my way of saying that some people take this whole speculation thing waaaaayyyy too seriously. Like, sometimes I genuinely wonder if some of the people who use this forum even have a life outside of wanting their favorite characters in Smash (some, not all).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Tabuu wouldn't work too well as a regular fighter, anyway. He's designed as a floating boss. And unlike Master Hand, he's not that known. MH would sell, in comparison, at least. He's been there from the start, already is programmed with Smash moves, and is a pretty cool character alone.

I still don't see him being full playable in this game(a future game, sure) outside of something like a Century Smash update. But as a base game roster, that's a completely different story. He would have to be unable to be used in Classic Mode, but could easily work fine in other areas to a degree(event matches, etc.) as long as he's bug-tested(not falling through platforms when using moves. That kind of thing). Could even add Crazy Hand in as a later unlock, since he's a semi-clone of Master Hand generally. Though my favorite option for a Smash OC playable is Giga Bowser, who admittedly would work fine other than being inherently overpowered(and he couldn't go through the latest bonus mode). I mean, not everyone is going to be fair for tourneys in a fighting game. That's completely normal. Smash just hasn't had that exact situation yet(we've had tourney bans due to various community feedback, but no character who has special advantages beyond just being badly tested like Meta Knight or the first version of Bayonetta. Hero was fine in comparison to those two, it's just some don't like RNG, understandably so. At least not to that degree).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean all that really might mean is that the release date is not soon, we could still get a reveal this month.
The smash site doesn’t typically update before the direct or reveal, it pretty much always updates after the reveal happens.
The Smash site (I believe every single time, previously- except where two were revealed at once) takes down the 'new' on the recent character, before the next character is revealed.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The Smash site (I believe every single time, previously- except where two were revealed at once) takes down the 'new' on the recent character, before the next character is revealed.
Is there a data sheet somewhere with how long in advance the new tag was removed for each character?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Is there a data sheet somewhere with how long in advance the new tag was removed for each character?
I'm sure someone has it, but I don't. It has simply been a topic of conversation each time. "Oh look, Nintendo removed the 'new' from the character. We must be about to get the next one.'
Sometimes it was relatively quickly, sometimes it was a long wait.

I forgot that I had added that Tabuu to my list of unwanted characters.
It breaks my head canon to think that a character who could stand up to ALL the character at once, suddenly is on par with each individually.

Shroob

Sup?
Actually, no.

Using the Wayback machine, which granted, has a lot of holes, on June 12th, which was only 3 days before E3 and Kazuya's showing, the NEW tab for Pythra was still up.

While there's no data for the 13th and 14th to say with 100% certainty, it seems like they stopped doing that awhile ago.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, using the Wayback machine to find archived pages of Ultimate's website, they seemingly stopped doing the "Take down the NEW tab!" thing awhile ago, like, a long-ass time ago.

They can 100% drop a new character on our ass even with it up, we don't need them to take it down to expect something coming anymore(And frankly, I don't remember when the last time they took it down even was).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t want any characters I’m personally not interested in. I wouldn’t be mad at them, though, just disappointed in the ones I like not getting in, but I’d probably still find the one who got in to be cool at least, like I’ve done so far for the most part.

Basically I don’t really actively not want anybody, and I’m sure any I don’t care about is one someone else would love. Pretty much just a pretty average or whatever viewpoint, no strong negative emotions.

anyway, remember this my dudes:

Purple is power.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The one character I actively don't want is an AT promotion.

No, I'm not gonna keep beating a dead horse.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So i guess a leak exists to the
Hisuian pokemon trainer which i dislike because mons but i could live wuith that if the tainer uses all of the Starters why?
Cyndaquil but you probably play as the trainer which i dont wanjt bnecause of my boy also considering how much more used/popular female trainers are past gens 1 and 2 i think the female is the main which wouldnt be a problem if the boy used shinys but like he wont and i want my cynaquil to look decent so that dumb than again most smash chars have the male as default so im not sure than than again grangrangrand ma lucia looks less girly as normal lucia so that may make "Lucia" the main so yeah this char probably want be for me which is sad beacuse i love cyndaquil!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The only Smash OC that would be kind of cool is Master Hand.

He's the only Smash OC that feels like an established character and is really the only Smash mainstay aside from Crazy Hand and Sandbag.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I hate that Hisuian Trainer is actually being taken seriously as a character suggestion.
Not because I would hate it, but because it gives me false hope even though I should know better.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm actually more interested in who people do NOT want/ Worst ideas they have heard.

Some of mine:

• All four champions as one character. In addition to this having nothing to do with them in game (they aren't linked in any way as fighters), if they were going to do this- Sakurai might as well go ahead and make four separate characters.
  • Another Pokemon Trainer. "Let's just go ahead and steal the one thing that makes another character specifically unique! But this time, let's do it in a less iconic way!"
  • Undertale: it just bothers me. I don't see why this is the game that would get a character, if we breeched this topic. We have also already gotten to 2 culturally relevant things from it- Sans and Megalomania. It's fine to want an Undertale character, but it seems foolish of me when people think of it as a prediction.
  • Porky/ Anymore Earthbound. Again- find to want in my eyes (not all on this list are, to me), but thinking it is needed or DESERVED... alright. Let's be happy this small, dead series (as great as it is) got as much representation as it has. We have every Nintendo-made RPG series in Smash already (short of Fossil Fighter, a sleeper series), except GOLDEN SUN. C'mon!
  • Chun Li. She may be on my list, too...perhaps 100 characters down... but if we are going for female gamechangers in video games- there are better options. If we are going for Video Game icons, let's go to a new series.
  • EMMI/ Metroid Dread or Prime character. It's so amazing that Metroid got buffed involvement in this new game! How about spreading that love to other series, particularly ones that have been even more monetarily profitable and culturally impactful? Donkey Kong is here...
There is only one character who I don't want in Smash, and that one is Bandana Waddle Dee.

-Bandana Waddle Dee, fan favorite or not, is still an unoriginal recycled asset turned into a character. When he was introduced in the series (I mean his first major introduction, on Wii), he took the place that could have been filled by other classic characters of the series. When I saw the first trailer of Kirby's Return to Dream Land I remember of being extremely disappointed when I saw that the helper system of the older version of the game (the never released Gamecube game) was replaced by 4 fixed characters, one of which was a random waddle dee. I mean, it was cool being able to play as King Dedede for the first time in a platformer, but even that was disappointing, since he just got the basic hammer moveset and none of his own specific moves from the bossfights (we had to wait for one of Star Allies' later updates for this). Everything just felt like an huge downgrade, and it brought the series to New Super Mario Bros levels of boring, you know, Blue and Yellow Toad when you can have Peach, Wario, etc. But the most annoying thing was that the series had a big amount of unused characters, and when they finally got a chance to shine, that chance was killed off by a waddle dee. Star Allies sucks hard (the most boring level design in a Kirby game ever), but I love how that game finally brought back all those characters and gave them original gameplay, finally... Dream Friends are definitely the most interesting part of the game; you know, the special mode of the game was originally supposed to be a Bandana Waddle Dee mode, and none of those characters would have been playable or in the game at all if that happend... I'm so glad that at the end they changed their mind; the game became better from taking the spotlight away from BWD, and this is a nice example of how I feel about this character, I think the series can improve if they just get rid of him, just like Star Allies kinda did (I mean he's still in the game but not anymore as major as he was originally supposed to be).

-I said he took the role of other characters: Bandana Waddle Dee is now depicted as Kirby's best buddy sort of... something that years earlier was Gooey's role instead. In the 3DS games he took the role of Adeleine by throwing helpful items at you from the background of the stage... in a massively more boring way. Games like Rainbow Curse could have featured different playable characters, it's just waddle dee instead; where did the classic animal trio end up being, since they were once major characters in the series? Never mind, it's just waddle dee now. As I said earlier, if Star Allies' special mode was a Bandana Waddle Dee mode as originally planned, there was the risk for the Dream Friends feature to not exist at all, luckily this case didn't happen.

-In the context of Smash, moveset wise he would be extremely boring, the most basic character you can think of, Little Mac levels of basic. Adding the parasol in the moveset might help a bit, but when Parasol was an item in Melee, you can just bring back the item so everyone can use it instead. I'd rather see any other Kirby character with more unique and interesting powers, rather than Spear Ability + a couple of parasol moves; Metaknight's moveset is already boring enough, we don't need an even more boring character (I was hyped when they added MK in Brawl, and the character does have potential of being cool, but I don't like his current moveset at all, he's one of those characters along with Young Link, Wario and Sonic and a few others, who I wish was completely redesigned the most).

-The sum of all those reasons is that I just hope that some day Bandana Waddle Dee just will stop appearing in the Kirby series, because he's a boring and uninspired character whose presence just hurts the chance of other more interesting characters to appear in new games. I don't want him in Smash because I think that, by being playable in Smash, he would gain a lot of more undeserved popularity. Also because I dislike how most people think that with Bandana Waddle Dee in the roster, the Kirby series would be "complete", and in their mind this would mean that the series doesn't need any other character anymore... I want a not-waddle-dee character to be the next Kirby rep because I don't want the Kirby series to be seen as "completed" with only 4 characters.

I don't even dislike the idea of a generic (not bandana) Waddle Dee as a playable character, I even have my own moveset concept for it (it's actually a group of up to 4 waddle dees as one character, not just one; the gimmick of the character is of being able to summon friends/helpers and work together to make the moves stronger, so it's a middle ground between Olimar and the Ice Climbers, and it's conceptually influenced by the Kirby Clash series and the helper system of Superstar/Star Allies); just not as the 4th rep... maybe when the Kirby series will have at least 3 more characters in Smash already.

----

There's a couple more characters who I would be annoyed of, but at this point I don't care anymore:

-Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
I don't know, I feel like they would be too much gimmicky and that there are other characters in the series who are both more interesting and more funny than them. By the way, I would still love them if they surprise me with a better moveset than what I can think of, and at this point I would gladly take the Chorus Kids if the other option is no Rhythm Heaven at all.

-Knuckle Joe (still from Kirby)
This comes from back when Brawl's Dojo was a thing, I remember that many people requested Knuckle Joe as a fighter after him being featured in one or a couple of episodes of the Kirby anime, they stopped only when he was announced as an assist trophy. I always disliked this request because I don't think it would be much different than BWD, just punches instead of a spear. Back at that time, Bandana Waddle Dee didn't even exist outside of that costume in a minigame; the support for Knuckle Joe just turned into support for BWD the moment he was introduced in the series, so basically nothing changed for me, same type of character (basic and boring), just a different one.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee is a victim of moveset powercreep. A spear was quite the novel idea back in Smash 4 and Kirby movesets are pretty translatable to Smash, so Bandana Dee had a fun moveset ready-made for him, Now we’re a few distance demons later and Dee fails to add a lot of flair to the once-so-perfect spear set. Dee imo should go the way of the Toad and make way for Marx, Magolor, Mage Sisters what have you, Kirby quartet or not. Toad should be playable, mind you, and BDee should too down the line, but there’s no shame in going for the ones that would be more unique for now and forego the exact order of importance.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Honestly yeah, a Smash OC would be a lame way to end things. It makes sense thematically, but it would be a massive bummer.
Plus what would the stage, music, and spirits be? People forget that we paid for more than just the fighters.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I have to admit that after I gave it some thought, some of the novelty of Bandana Dee being in Smash wore off. He doesn't really stand out that much in the games he appears in compared to major figures like Susie, Marx, or Adeleine, and isn't as interesting as them personality wise either. Doesn't help that some of them have much more interesting power sets and stand out a lot more in terms of design and overall memorability. BDee is basically just a Blue Toad but without the problem I have with that characters' moveset potential.
I still want him though since I think a small, light character with a lot of range would make for a pretty unique fighter, but he's not as high on my want list as he once was and I wouldn't be upset if any other Kirby character not named Marx was chosen over him.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Plus what would the stage, music, and spirits be? People forget that we paid for more than just the fighters.
Stages shouldn‘t be that hard, actually. The living room from the first Smash Bros. 64 cutscene, the various Final Destinations and Battlefields not in Smash, the Home-Run Contest stages, Break the Targets stages, Angry Birds But Make It Smash 3DS stage, Board the Platforms stages, Race to the Finish stages, Subspace locales, Meta Crystal, All Star Rest areas.

Spirits can consist of Smash original items, the various Fighting Teams like Melee’s Wireframes and the rest of the Subspace enemies, though I admit it’s not the most solid of line-ups and would more consist of items and objects than actual characters.

Music…yeah that one’s tough.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Will never happen but it would be cool if a Smash OC is bundled with the Smash Run mode instead of the usual stage + music setup.
Still not a huge fan of the idea of a Smash OC but that would make it sting a little less, especially if the mode is improved from how it was in Smash 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom