• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask me about Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played Smash 4 (3DS) at the Irvine Spectrum yesterday for about 4 hours. The character which got most of my attention and personal enjoyment was Fox. Pushing the technical limits on the character via handheld was difficult, but I managed to learn a lot about him and his potential. My opponents were random CPU's (1v1 matches) ranging from level 6-9 to test how they would respond in a situation. If you have any question about his moves, combos, movement, ask away, and I'll get to you whenever I'm available.

Fire away.

Last edited:

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
Are u-air and u-smash still his best k.o moves?
How good is his combo ability compered to his past incarnations?
Is the reflector actually good?
Thanks in advance.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Biggest question I have:

How did his lasers feel? The loss of cancelling has me worried that they will become entirely worthless and/or very limited. I'm just worried his defensive game has been nerfed too much between the Shine and laser nerf.

Are u-air and u-smash still his best k.o moves?
How good is his combo ability compered to his past incarnations?
Is the reflector actually good?
Thanks in advance.
Fox's combo ability seems very strong, and it comes from the fact not only does he still have familiar tools like being able to dash attack>u-tilt, dair>utilt or dair/nair>grab for basic set ups, but he has new tools like being able to pivot cancel forward tilt/f-smash/u-smash, and that the last hit on the down air pops the opponent up for an aerial set up, which has a moderate amount of stun. The pivot cancel forward tilt in particular is interesting, as it lets you gain so much distance and you will continue to slide even after your tilt is done (think a wave bounce grab with Fox in Brawl except you are doing a tilt), and his f- tilt is so fast you can act out of it almost immediately.

A combo I did on Villager was dash Pivot cancel F-tilt (the attack was facing away, but the hitbox is weird so it connected from the back)> U-tilt> SH Uair> Fair. Legitimately connected. I also did tried Pivot cancel F-tilt, grab, D-throw, Dair. Fox has a good amount of ground tools at his disposal. With pivot canceling you can do crazy mind games like facing away from the opponent, then dash towards then, pivot cancel into a charging up smash; it appears that you are sliding backwards towards the opponent.

Reflector? I didn't try to use it that much. It's worse than Brawls as far as attacking is concerned, but as for the reflecting properties, I don't know. Sorry.

U-smash is still one of his strongest KO Moves, but Uair is slightly weaker, but still strong enough to kill characters after 100%.
Biggest question I have:

How did his lasers feel? The loss of cancelling has me worried that they will become entirely worthless and/or very limited. I'm just worried his defensive game has been nerfed too much between the Shine and laser nerf.
Lasers felt odd to the point where I didn't want to use them since I can't SHL, but I never really got into the habit of laddering with Fox so the times I did use it was to see if I can SHL. I think the laser cool down is faster though, so you can distance yourself for some damage. He still has some offensive tools, like illusion off stage as an offensive tactic.

Does he suck? Please and Thank you.
No???

You're welcome.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
@ E Eternal phoenix Fire

Awesome, thanks so much for the info.

Did you toy around with Illusion cancels at all, by chance? Does it still carry momentum like Brawl's Illusion cancel, and is the lag time on the Illusion in the air short enough that aerials are somewhat viable after using the illusion?

Lastly, how did his Fair feel? Was it connecting fluidly like in Brawl I hope?

@ E Eternal phoenix Fire

Awesome, thanks so much for the info.

Did you toy around with Illusion cancels at all, by chance? Does it still carry momentum like Brawl's Illusion cancel, and is the lag time on the Illusion in the air short enough that aerials are somewhat viable after using the illusion?

Lastly, how did his Fair feel? Was it connecting fluidly like in Brawl I hope?
Y'know I tried to illusion cancel and I just couldn't do it for some reason. I feel like so did it once, but I can't recall correctly. I know I tried though, so I guess I'm just gonna have to wait myself.

His Fair connects very well, fluidly like in Brawl, but feels like it his harder. It still gives you a good amount of aerial lift on jump, but not as much as Brawls. Sadly, you cannot auto cancel it from a short hop, but it has less landing lag, so I guess it's a trade off.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Sounds great, thanks again.

One last question, @ E Eternal phoenix Fire

A common complaint of this game is that aerial landing lag is too significant. From what I have seen of Fox, his landing lag seems fairly short in comparison to the rest of the cast. Is this just me interpreting the footage incorrectly, or does Fox truly have fairly sparse landing lag?

Fox's landing lag is very minimal in smash 4. Even though he cannot auto cancel Fair in a short hop, all of his other aerials still have low landing lag and is one of the few characters who can still rely on an aerial approach. Plus he can auto cancel his Uair out of a short hop still. It seems much easier as I was able to do it on the. 3DS version without a c-stick.

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Fox's landing lag is very minimal in smash 4. Even though he cannot auto cancel Fair in a short hop, all of his other aerials still have low landing lag and is one of the few characters who can still rely on an aerial approach. Plus he can auto cancel his Uair out of a short hop still. It seems much easier as I was able to do it on the. 3DS version without a c-stick.
How strong is Up smash? Melee strong or Brawl strong? I saw it kill Rosalina at 77% but knockback is wonky at E3.
He has true combos though right? Like combos opponents can't airdodge out of?

How strong is Up smash? Melee strong or Brawl strong? I saw it kill Rosalina at 77% but knockback is wonky at E3.
He has true combos though right? Like combos opponents can't airdodge out of?
It's Brawl strong.

Yeah, he has legit combos. I tested them on level 9 computers to see if they were capable of responding fast enough. The computer couldn't react to the combos I listed.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Can Fox forward B be still be Canceled? And if so do he fall in a free fall state? or can you up B out of a canceled forward b? This has really been bugging me

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
How quick and responsive did Fox feel? In Brawl his movement was less immediate than in Melee, and this one looks like it's based of Brawl's.

Can Fox forward B be still be Canceled? And if so do he fall in a free fall state? or can you up B out of a canceled forward b? This has really been bugging me
I tried to illusion cancel, but could not do so successfully. I'm not sure if it was due to my lack of timing since I'm accustomed to doing it in Melee, where it's much easier, or the mechanic is gone, but I'm sure that's not the case and I just suck at it lol.

I'm not sure about the canceling, but he does not go into a free fall state after his side B. He still has all of his options, including air dodge, attacking or double jumping assuming you didn't use it. Think Sonic's Up B but better.

Sorry I couldn't fully answer your question.

How quick and responsive did Fox feel? In Brawl his movement was less immediate than in Melee, and this one looks like it's based of Brawl's.
Fox feels like Brawl to an extent, but he feels really good. I don't know if that says much since I play Fox in Brawl, but I also play Fox and Falco in Melee so I'm fairly comfortable with space animals. He's really aggressive and has solid tools. His pivot canceling allows for some very unique movement options.

I can do things like walk away from my opponent with my back facing them, then immediately dash toward them and do a pivot cancel Upsmash; it appears as if I'm sliding backwards from a long distance towards them with a charged U-smash, or uncharged (I call it the Karate Kid lol). The Pivot cancel gives Fox so many movement options, doing stuff like Pivot cancel F-tilt to pivot Pivot cancel grab keep your opponent confused, and since his F- tilt is so fast (about as fast as Marth's jab) he can still slide mid F-tilt and do something else like a jab.

Fox has a lot of tools that allow him to transition from ground to air seamlessly. His Dair can be utilized as an air combo started if the last hit connects, or you can fast fall it if desired to get the grab. His Up-tilt is very good and can chain into itself more than Brawl due to the hitstun in the game, or you can just go for guaranteed stuff like U-tilt > grab, U-tilt> SH auto canceled Uair, U-tilt Bair, U-tilt Nair etc. He even has the old champ combo (dash attack>u-tilt>uair), or you can do a Dair instead of uair and follow up with another aerial after the last hit. All of that and he also has his rapid jab finisher that's good for zoning and has solid range. It's also a great hit-confirm if you aren't confident about nailing a grab after an aerial. Nair/Dair>Jab, jab 2, rapid kick> side kick finisher is very solid, that and it's just cool to look at.

Fox can also continuously roll, which means he can chain his rolls and punish like a power ranger or something lol.

I have high hopes for Fox, and with a combination of low lag aerials, solid tilts, ability to make great use of pivot canceling and new tools to use he's gonna be really good. His only visible Nerf is the inability to laser cancel and a shine nerf, but I don't think that was to bad since he can get up close and personal with characters + an extended recovery. Fox is without a doubt very solid in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom