• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ANCIENT SMASH 64 INDEX - Rest well, old friend. Star King will forever be Dirk King.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think that format is good for like 3 line posts but horrible if it's like 10 lines, also bad if they split up a single sentence into multiple lines like you did right there ;P

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i rarely type anything longer than 3 lines, if i do then it'll either be ugly as **** and non-serious, or fully punctuated

SK i use it for possessive things and some various things like 'there's', 'you're'

it seems anything negative like 'dont' or 'havent' doesnt get an apostrophe from me though

M!nt

Smash Champion
; __ ; I'm sorry! If you never made it we probably would never even have one! c:

FourStar

Smash Ace
i almost asked why

then i saw you had three pikachus under your name and pikachu was your avatar

and everything became clear
Idk whether or not to take that as a compliment, an insult, or just a statement. But yeah.... I like pikachu :p
Only because i love pokemon and he's the best overall character in the seires :p

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
ya'll ****** just need to calm the **** down over me being a samus player and thinking it dictates eveything i saty i'm drunk and it took me six times to spell smauis correctly **** SAMUS

The Star King

Smash Hero
ya'll *****s just need to calm the **** down over me being a samus player and thinking it dictates eveything i saty i'm drunk and it took me six times to spell smauis correctly **** SAMUS
reminds me of TANK attributing everything I ever say to being a keyboard player

"I ate a burger today"
"Keyboard players... smdh..."

Annex

Smash Ace
So this is really minor and lame but it's been useful for me when I'm teaching new players about movement options in the game.
...so I'm putting it here. It's the 6 most common jump heights of all the characters relative to the side plats of DL. I dunno, I thought it was useful when I made it.
SH = Short Hop
FC = Full C-Button Press
FS = Full Stick Jump
r = while running
bold = a perfect landing/barely making the plat

A Tier
DK
SH FC FS rFC rFS

B Tier
Pika, CF, Luigi*, Samus
FC FS rFC rFS

C Tier
Puff, Kirby, Mario
FC FS rFC rFS

D Tier
Fox
FC FS rFS

E Tier
Yoshi, Link, Ness
FC FS rFS

*Luigi can also reach the top middle platform perfectly with FC, or go a little higher with FS

rpotts

Smash Lord
You forgot SSH - stick short hop. While impractical it does give a few characters that perfect landing on side platforms. I think Falcon's is pretty close to a perfect landing.

Sangoku

Smash Master
There's no such thing as "stick short hop". Stick simply allows you any height within the jumping range.

Depending on the value input to jump, the height will be different. 53 being the minimum and 80 being the maximum.
Also this reminds me of this thread.

Last edited:

rpotts

Smash Lord
Wait, what? Does that mean that stick short hop and c short hop are the same, and depending on how long you hold them the height varies?

rpotts

Smash Lord
So, does that mean you can short hop with a C button to the maximum height like a stick short hop might be? Is it by how long you've depressed C?

Sangoku

Smash Master
I don't understand what you're saying. I'll take the example of Fox.

You can short hop and full hop with C. If you press C 3 frames or less you will short hop. The height of a short hop is 544. If you press C more than 3 frames you will full hop. The height of a full hop is 1200.

Then you can jump with the joystick by pushing it up. How far you push up will determine how high you will jump. The lowest possible jump with the stick is done by pushing the stick by 53/128 ie 41% of range (if your max range is set up to 80%, then push it halfway). This will make you jump of 684. Then you could have pushed it fully (80/128). The height of the jump is then 1275. Concerning stick jump, every range between 53 and 80 will yield to a different height.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Ok, that's what I thought, we're just having some nomenclature confusion. By stick short hop I meant shorter than the C jump height but higher than a short hop, i.e. the shortest stick jumps. Significantly closer to a short hop in practical purposes. I see what you mean though since you can't actually access a "short hop" using the stick.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Judging by this

You forgot SSH - stick short hop. While impractical it does give a few characters that perfect landing on side platforms. I think Falcon's is pretty close to a perfect landing.
I think you were talking about sideways C jumps, which have less height than normal C jumps. Since Falcon's is "pretty close to a perfect landing".

rpotts

Smash Lord
Judging by this
I think you were talking about sideways C jumps, which have less height than normal C jumps. Since Falcon's is "pretty close to a perfect landing".
Nah I'm talking about short stick jumps. The shortest I can get a standing stick hop with Falcon nearly perfect lands on the side platforms on DL. More perfect than Falcon's running full C jump, I believe.

B Link

Smash Lord
Since we're talking about jump heights: does anyone know why sometimes, with DK, my short-hop nair (on Hyrule) from 2nd highest platform to highest platform doesn't get me there? But then sometimes it does (lol)? It's like the game plays around with my short hop height (even though Sangoku states that it is a consistent number).

The above instance might also apply just to short hopping (i.e. excluding nair), or getting up there with any other DK aerial.

Since a short hop with other chars doesn't "perfectly" land like DK's does on Hyrule, idk if this applies to them as well, since I have nothing to test it with. But it could apply to them as well I suppose

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
sometimes, with DK, my short-hop nair (on Hyrule) from 2nd highest platform to highest platform doesn't get me there?
I'd say in those cases you were actually doing a walking/running SH, which gets you less height than a standing one.

Also, pretty sure doing an aerial doesn't effect your height.

Sangoku

Smash Master
We all agree that the Index is a mess and I'm not asking @ asianaussie asianaussie to sort it out, but could you remove all the spoiler tags? In my opinion they only give a false feeling of ordering things and they are rather impractical: sometimes the toggle option seems glitchy, and even more important, we can't ctrl+f what we're looking for.

And let's be realistic, no new player reads it, they ask directly and I end up having to look up into the index. So if at least I could ctrl+f, that'd help. What do you think?

B Link

Smash Lord
Annex said:
I'd say in those cases you were actually doing a walking/running SH, which gets you less height than a standing one.
I know the difference, I did NOT do this. I am not touching the stick at all during the transition phase. y new players always gotta be presumptuous

If you watch Isai's DK sometimes you'll see this too -- I noticed he usually does this nair thing all the way to the top, but one match it kept failing so he did a double jump instead to the top platform cuz it just wouldn't get him to the top.

Like literally, for whatever reason I'll load up training mode and my short hops will take me there 100% of the time.

Then I'll come back on a random day, or a few minutes after doing something else, and it has a 100% FAILURE rate.

The fact that I have a 100% success rate on those days makes me confident that I know I'm not doing a lower short hop by accident

It always works on the bottom two platforms though

EDIT: Hmm actually you might be right but only in a subsidiary way. I noticed sometimes in TAS, when my stick got "uncalibrated" or loose, it detected <2/>2 movement in the stick, even though it was still. I bet this is why -- I'm actually doing a lower short hop because my stick is uncalibrated/loose perhaps?

The weird thing is when you have <2/>2 or so looseness, it doesn't move your hand in the versus mode menu lol. Damn too bad I can't test right now though to see if this is true =/

I will note that I didn't get this problem on KB so that supports the above.

Last edited:

Fluid_Drip

Smash Cadet
i've played n64 smash on an emulator but i've yet to experience a modded version or w/e. what kind of changes have been made?
22151-1440x900-[DesktopNexus.com].jpg

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
nothing

i mean madao match a patch that fixes samus and link's recoveries but that's about it, nobody plays with mods

asianaussie

Smash Hero
^ http://i.imgur.com/W7nXOAe.gif

stop being a noob, aa. whenever you make a long post you always ctrl + A + C before hitting submit.

edit: in that bb code mode where you get the formatting
that was what i got from pressing the edit button, not from attempting to submit all the edits i made

as in, i couldnt even access the edit function in the first place

misha pls

Sangoku

Smash Master
Micksa doesn't have long enough posts to edit I guess.

Just so you know, to be able to edit them, you need to go to preference, then untick "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages".

mixa

Banned via Warnings
that was what i got from pressing the edit button, not from attempting to submit all the edits i made
i never had that happen to me, and judging from the sparcity of your attempts i was thinking you were doing more than just clicking a button

misha, Micksa
i made like one carefree post about that

Micksa doesn't have long enough posts to edit I guess
wow,

Sangoku

Smash Master
I'm kidding because if I follow this logic, I don't have long enough posts either. I don't know why some long posts act up when we try to edit them.

Top Bottom