• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

Master Raven

Smash Master
Ed I expected you to look like a skinny dorky-looking white guy.

I was only right about the white guy part.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Sheik boards be dead, yo.

btw, I need some help w/ the ROB MU, I got trounced by some really dumb stuff that I'm normally able to punish easily as my other chars.

iLight

Smash Lord
Idk, I havn't played a good ROB with my sheik other than against Sudai a long time ago, but really as long as your patient and have good timing to powershield his projectiles getting close isn't that painful and we win the close fight in my opinion the biggest thing is you have to make sure to shield all of his downsmash and then punish or both of his jabs then punish or his f-tilt > both jabs then punish, these are the things I go for when i play rob and someone get's close to me, usually i'll do one of those or grab and if i'm at the wrong spacing for one of those then i'll back up first then do one of those or jump towards them and fair if they coming from the air. So learn how to beat the timing on those options and you shouldn't have extreme difficulty especially if you play safe and don't follow ROB off the stage very far

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think ROB is one of those characters that is safe to Transform against for the KO hit.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Never take Snake to Castle Siege, that's what I learned the hard way this last tournament.

Game 1: Won with Sheik on FD
Game 2: Lost as Lucario on Frigate (I wanted to see if I could still pull out my main for the win especially since sheik is pretty bad on that stage rofl)
Game 3: Got completely bodied as Sheik on Castle Siege. The problem is that Snake does ridiculously well on the first transformation, there's hardly any room to maneuver/run, so I lost one stock and got a lot of damage done to me by the end of the first transformation. The others were better, but still, it was a complete nightmare.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yes it is, I don't think I'll ever go there unless it's against a character I get outcamped, like maybe falco because his regular laser -> phantasm stuff gets messed up on several parts of the stage, but it was a terrible place to take snake where I actually had a lot going for me with needles.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't know if you others feel this way, but I always noted that Snake players could be classified as either defensive/campy or aggressive. The campier ones are a little harder to deal with on big stages, even with needles, because they can afford to inch forward while throwing **** way more than I'd like, so I tend to pick smaller stages like Battlefield and, occasionally, Halberd. The more aggressive ones, on the other hand, get scarier when you don't have much space to maneuver, so against those I'd prefer the larger stages like Pokémon Stadium 1.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I've had my share of both, and I can agree w/ that, although I feel very comfortable on FD regardless of the playstyle tbh. I've got my camp game in that MU done down to a, dare I say it, SCIENCE!, although tbh we don't have many ranked snakes here except for one pretty good one from the Southern part of our state. I do feel though that I can't take really campy ones to PS1 and Lylat though because they bug the stage everywhere with projectiles, and it's hard to see them at times, and it doesn't help when the stage is already pretty iffy to your recovery to begin with and they've got like three projectiles planted in the general area where you would recover lol.

Judo777

Smash Master
I counterpick MK to CS. That's about it. Not a huge fan of transforming stages, because I generally am gimping people harder than I am getting gimped.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
MK is so lame, I really only try to CP to a neutral. If I actually have to play a CP then I'm looking at Halberd first just because I'm overly confident in landing Usmash lol.

:phone:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
CFL is like snake central... kinda. snake is really easy to out camp sheik was made to camp snake IMO. he is hard to kill regardless though.

: D

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah I love halberd for sheik, the ship deck transformation is so good for sheik's camping control and for letting her keep all her mobility. And the platform allows for sheik's recovery to have a few more (albeit limited) options for recovering. And of course, the small ceiling and platform that can get hit by tipper usmash sometimes is always nice

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
So much USMASH!!!!

RECTUM TEAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Sorry Mink, but you did improve so much seriously. Like I said in the Shoutouts thread, all you have to do is close out matches and you would've had me. We'll definitely play again man!

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
No doubt.
I wish we would have saved them.

I don't know if me approaching was the problem, if i should have forced the approach.
Or if i wasn't approaching.

UGH.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I honestly thought I pressured you into making the mistakes. I felt like I rattled you once I started DACUSing your landings, and made you lose your cool. That's really how I made that comeback. Just kept my cool after getting smashed at the start.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I'm not moving, right now I'm at home in SFL for the summer. I'll be back in Tampa after summer.

I'll try to do holy smash but it all depends on my money. Also, your always welcome to come bug me in SFL or in Tampa. Just lemme know.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
yeah i'd like to go to sfl or tampa.
But for ze' time being, i've got classes Tues/Thurs
Then i work Mon Wed... and sometimes pickin' up shifts sat or fri.

And i have mad money johns. CEO was the first tourney i'd been to since GA.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I forgot that Fino played Sheik. Otherwise I would have played him with my Pit... I also somehow didn't play against Judo again in spite of us hanging together the entire tournament.

I got to see him play some awesome matches against the Peaches (Nicole and Mikey L).

I used Sheik in two MM's throughout the weekend. First one was game two of a mm where I 2-0'd an IN Mario named steep. He took me to frigate and I finished with two stocks and 4%.

Second one was game two of my 0-2 L against Nicole. This was also on Frigate (my CP of choice this tournament) and I got controlled rather well here. It was a respectable effort, I think but I was two stocked with mid % on her Peach.

Found out I can't punish low float nair with anything ledge dropped/hopped.

Otherwise, I played friendlies against Zeton (oho two hit usmash beats fox utilt yeah!), Luminoth (fighting wolf is kinda a pain, edgeguarding wolf isn't. It's fun), Keitaro (hate Falco) and others throughout the weekend. It was pretty fun.

I'm thinking about doing APEX next year.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I forgot how it happened, but like... Zeton AD'd to utilt and it clanked with the first hit of my upsmash, where the second hit came clean and teared out the rectum.

And Peach is a bit of a pain. Watching Judo edgeguard Peaches like a boss was really inspiring though.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
If I have to read one more post about how much Sakurai hates tournaments and "competitive gaming" I'm gonna... I'm gonna........ I'M GONNA!!!

...probably not do anything.

clowsui

Smash Legend
judo is a monster nuff said

i'm definitely going to apex next year...no ifs ands ors buts about it. i will be the best falco (or marth, whichever i decide to play...) in the midwest by then. that's my goal, at least!

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Similar to how you would handle other built in random elements D3's waddle toss, peach's turnips, GaW's hammer, Snakes Usmash, luigi's green missle, etc. you should handle tripping.
there is a chance that when ever you dash or turn you'll trip. factor that in when you dash. its really that easy. I've been saved by trips (trip invul through smashes) just about as often as I've died because of them. Lucky me? sure, but at the end of the day as a responsible brawl player I know it can happen, just like luigi knows if he is using green missile to recover he could missfire right into that smash attack they are charging while the wait for him.
The addition of random elements does not detract from competitive settings, understanding your chances and probabilities has been an understood skill in the competitive world for a very very very~ long time.

Top Bottom