• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda: A good second for Samus?

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Hello Zelda people I am typically a Samus main but have fancying Zelda a lot lately. As a Samus main I love my tech's and I have noticed Zelda has picked up a host of new tricks that I enjoy utilizing in my games. I am already proficient in using Shiek as a secondary of sorts but really wanna get into using Zelda a lot more maybe even more so than shiek. Is Zelda's playstyle too similar to Samus' to be a good secondary? LIke how she is mostly innately defensive and only offensive off of reaction to her opponent. Would it be redundant in a way to effectively use Zelda when Samus has proven ineffective? Or does Zelda potentially have good match ups where Samus doesn't I don't know how well you guys know Samus but any input will be appreciated.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Well, they both play more on the defensive side. Zelda baiting people and waiting for them to try to come in, and Samus camping her opponents into oblivion with missiles.

@DarkStarStorm

Last edited:

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
haha yea this is true to an extent. I pride myself on being very good at hand to hand unlike a lot of Samus' out there that know little but to blast away. I make people respect me up close as well as a distance.

Last edited:

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
Please ask this in the Zelda social thread.

Stop creating unnecessary threads.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Hello Zelda people I am typically a Samus main but have fancying Zelda a lot lately. As a Samus main I love my tech's and I have noticed Zelda has picked up a host of new tricks that I enjoy utilizing in my games. I am already proficient in using Shiek as a secondary of sorts but really wanna get into using Zelda a lot more maybe even more so than shiek. Is Zelda's playstyle too similar to Samus' to be a good secondary? LIke how she is mostly innately defensive and only offensive off of reaction to her opponent. Would it be redundant in a way to effectively use Zelda when Samus has proven ineffective? Or does Zelda potentially have good match ups where Samus doesn't I don't know how well you guys know Samus but any input will be appreciated.
Hey first off welcome to the Zelda forums. I don't really know that much about Samus's MUs so I might be able to help more if you could list some of her bad MUs so we could give you input on how Zelda relates to those characters. I would if you already have a pretty good grasp of Sheik, adding a little Zelda to the mix certainly wouldn't hurt. For a very brief overview, Zelda is great at comboing fast fallers and medium to heavy characters and at controlling space. As she has limited mobility, you have to be able to be extremely efficient with her to do well at a highly competitive level. She punishes extremely hard and is most often thought of as passive aggressive though that's not to say she can't be used defensively or aggressively. The efficiency becomes more pronounced for her aggressive side. Finally she is very strong in the mind game department. Hope that helps give you an idea of if you will want to pick up Zelda.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Yea that all sounds great and thats typically how I play with Samus. Not so sure about this game but samus' track record from melee was that it was difficult to fight rush characters like fox, falco, c. Falcon, because of samus' need to control space and there ability to rob people of there spacing attempts. I think Zelda would be good if people are playing too rush heavy and I fail to adapt with Samus. Playing Zelda should either force them to play the way I want them too in those situations or I'll be able to punish them very hard for not respecting Zelda's space. As for samus in brawl I had the most trouble vs characters like olimar, and MK. It's too early to tell where my match up issues really are in this game so far. Although my brothers roy is difficult so maybe that one. I usually have to go shiek to win that one how is Zelda on Roy?

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Yea that all sounds great and thats typically how I play with Samus. Not so sure about this game but samus' track record from melee was that it was difficult to fight rush characters like fox, falco, c. Falcon, because of samus' need to control space and there ability to rob people of there spacing attempts. I think Zelda would be good if people are playing too rush heavy and I fail to adapt with Samus. Playing Zelda should either force them to play the way I want them too in those situations or I'll be able to punish them very hard for not respecting Zelda's space. As for samus in brawl I had the most trouble vs characters like olimar, and MK. It's too early to tell where my match up issues really are in this game so far. Although my brothers roy is difficult so maybe that one. I usually have to go shiek to win that one how is Zelda on Roy?
Roy. THAT I know more about. On paper, it seems like Roy has an advantage over Zelda because of his disjointed hitboxes (sword), but in reality, I'd say it's about even. Marth, on the other hand, is one of the few characters that counter Zelda. lol. But conveniently, Sheik counters Marth. So all you have to do if you fight a Marth is switch to Sheik. Whereas, if you're playing a Roy, I advise you to stick to Zelda. Sheik may counter Marth, and it may seem like she should be able to counter Roy, but the matchup is WAY different. Roy's d-tilt wrecks Sheik's crouch cancel game (Marth's d-tilt hit's the guy away and doesn't break other crouch cancels. Roy's d-tilt hits the guy upward and laughs in the face of crouch cancelers). And because of that, I would say that the matchup is about even if not ever so slightly advantageous for Roy. Now back to Roy vs. Zelda. That matchup is really weird in the fact that, though Roy can reach through Zelda defensive bubble (Yeah, I just called it a bubble), but he can't really get enough hitstun on her with the tip of his sword to get much started. Roy has to be able to get in CLOSE if he wants to do damage, and with Zelda, getting in close is no easy task. Other than jab, d-tilt, and dins; Zelda can use any move regardless of where she is facing. If Roy rushes in, she has the option of using Neutral B, Teleport, F-smash, D-smash, U-smash, F-tilt, and U-tilt. She has a lot of options. And that's not even mentioning aerials. You could say that she literally has a protective bubble around her that, if you enter it, you will get hit by a move.

I feel like I'm just rambling on and on. I better stop before I go completely off subject. Hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I understand what you mean by all that don't worry. It was helpful. Avoid roy's dtilt if im shiek is a must. I needle camp and go for grabs when people are a low percents and have mean crouch cancel games usually. With Zelda is up throw the main throw to go for when going for combo follow ups? more so than dthrow?

Geth Drips

Smash Rookie
I like to go for u-throw chaingrabs against spacies/fast fallers, but it could definitely start some combos off, albeit at lower percents for the lighter/floatier characters otherwise u-throw just sends them too far. D-throw can also yield some results, especially with bad DI from the opponent. Sometimes against floatier characters d-throw sets up nicely for a fair/bair to the face, but again is DI dependent. When you mix up her throws throughout the course of a match, sometimes you can get some bad DI from your opponent off of your f-throw which can again set up a sweetspot fair. I like to do this near the ledge so even if I end up missing the fair, it just turns into a normal edge-guarding situation.

Top Bottom