• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X vs Y to jump

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Oh hey Tophes lol.
I'd say using X is most appropriate for every situation but I think that using Y could lead to faster aerial input because the bottom of your thumb can reach A with still pressing Y at the same time.

TMRaven

Smash Rookie
I use X to jump. Swiftly moving my thumb from x to left on c-stick helps a lot in pulling out super fast short-hopped bairs/rars with characters like kirby or game and watch.

Only time I use y is for lag canceling my ganondorf's short-hopped dair.

Rogond09

Smash Rookie
Call me a n00b, but I still use Up on the Control Stick to jump. I just feel like it gives me better control over my air game, especially because I make use of the C Stick.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
I keep them both jump while aiming for X.
Sometimes I miss it and hit Y instead, so I keep Y to jump to cover for me.

And Rogond that's cool but I wouldn't do it because I can't utilt as easy.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
I leave Y alone, X to grab, R to jump. seriously, my right index does nothing if I didn't set it to this.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Classic controller~
X when using A to attack
Y when usinb B to attack

It's perfect like that, your thumb and the controller have this sort of synergy...it's wonderous

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Classic controller~
X when using A to attack
Y when usinb B to attack

It's perfect like that, your thumb and the controller have this sort of synergy...it's wonderous
When I get my GC-to-PS Controller Adaptor, I'm going to try to make a setup where:
X = jump
Square = Attack
Triangle = Special
O = Grab.

It'll be like God of war :D

Merce

Smash Cadet
Uh, I use x to grab and y to jump because x reminds me of horizontal motion while y reminds me of vertical... anyone else that geeky? ...Anyone?

'V'

Smash Lord
I use X to jump. My Y button just sits there and never does anything. I'm pretty sure that'll be the last button to break on my controller.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I have always, do, and will continue to use control stick jump. The only times I use X to jump is for glides with MK. The only time I use Y to jump is for ground floating with Peach, in which case I switch quickly to claw.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
omg this is like the fifth thread about this topic that i have seen here

and again: i use the y button for jump and the x button for grabs(even though i always use z for grabbing)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I use Y to jump, X to grab. I find that using Y lends itself to easier SH aerials because you can easily flex the thumb Downward, as opposed to rolling it sideways. That, and it's the way I've always done it, so old habits are hard to break. xD

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
First there's like five "Control Stick VS Y/X Button" threads. Then there's one that asks for the "Advantages of switching the jump button" or something like that. Now we have an "X VS Y Button" thread?

:rotfl: I use "Y", I think. Man, this is a hot topic.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Y.
I don't think I've ever even touched X during a Brawl or Melee match....

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
I DONT GET IT, you people are sooo lucky and blessed that you use y to jump, if you play melee that game hates analog it ****ing sucks, i use analog to jump btw people! does anyone elseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee or am i the only one!

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I DONT GET IT, you people are sooo lucky and blessed that you use y to jump, if you play melee that game hates analog it ****ing sucks, i use analog to jump btw people! does anyone elseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee or am i the only one!
I analog jump in Melee (thou I hardly play that game anymore).

In Brawl I use Y to grab, sooooo I use Z to jump.

Z jump is really useful for Peach's float, Falco's IAP, Snake's FH Nair, Upsmash OOS, and a ton of other trick I prob would have a hard time doing with Y or X jump.

Marthos

Smash Journeyman
I keep tap jump on (dunno why, I'm just used to it), but also use Y to jump. I never touch X.

Wiister2007

Smash Rookie
I use a mixture of both, but mostly X because it is somewhat like C-Down on an N64 Controller. However, I do think that there are certain advantages, in very specific situations, that come with using Y. I can't think of any because I haven't played the game in a while.

Top Bottom