• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Mini-Recreates: The SSB Series Rosters

Job 12: Submit Another Clone

I choose Poo from the EarthBound series.
Poo | EarthBound Wiki | Fandom

I figured that a Ness clone could be on the table for this game at this stage of development. Plus, it'd be funny to see your opponent get beaten by a guy named Poo.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #12
Character Name: Donkey Kong Jr.
Character Origin: Donkey Kong Jr.
(1982)
Clone Of?: Donkey Kong

There's been a lot of talk of "retro reps" this time around, which is in my mind a pretty interesting subject - but I think this one in particular is in a unique position to be a genuinely decent candidate this time around.

Donkey Kong Jr. would essentially be a clone of Donkey Kong himself, but he's generally faster and lighter than DK - which is offset by him comparatively lacking in outright kill power. Where this gets offset is in that Jr. could possibly have one or two moves here and there that work in a more unique way, retrofitting some animations from different places - whether it be an upward key thrust using one of the swordies' animations, or even something like an "item pull" which lets him pull and toss a Snapjaws, Freezie, or Green Shell item. Or even a Barrel. (Three of these four already exist as items in Melee, after all. Technically all four, if you count the Klaptrap in Jungle Japes as a solid animaiton base for a Snapjaws.)

Plus, while he's obviously retro-oriented (intended as a representation of arcade-era DK & Mario), he's still got some more modern appearances in spinoffs like Mario Tennis and the Game & Watch Gallery series... and he's a prominent character in one of Nintendo's most iconic series and eras.

I dunno, I think he'd be a fun and unorthodox pick that'd still make some sense. While I guess there's an argument for Mario-adjescent stuff already being well-represented, Jr. feels like he's representing something different enough to give him his own flavour and feel.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I was considering sitting out this round, but let's get weird because why the hell not.

Job 12: Sneasel (Clone of Meowth)
1715229221908.png

I think we're probably pretty much set with Pokemon, but everyone took the characters I already thought of and I felt like trying to be creative. I don't think it would cross most of our minds initially to clone a character who we aren't already familiar with in Smash proper. But hypothetically, I think Meowth would have a pretty standard claw slash-y kit that could be adopted by other animalistic characters. Here is a take on the character that leans into darker effects and maybe some ice / freeze effects as well? Perhaps if Meowth's Neutral B is Pay Day, Sneasel's would be comparable to Ice Climbers' Blizzard or something.

I'm aware Sneasel is kind of a random choice, but it's an interesting one right? We've been coloring in the lines here more or less, but perhaps Smash is better for having some weirdo Pokemon like Jigglypuff around just because they had a couple things in common with someone else. To my knowledge they aren't as prominent in the anime, but let's say Sneasel was a Pokemon that Sakurai really took a liking to for one reason or another. I think we'd learn to love it. Who knows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom