• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Size DOES Matter, or does it? (3DS XL Owners)

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
Although this thread exists, I'm not too sure it would be the appropriate place for this topic, due to the multiple questions, and it seems as if most people in that thread are just posting their preference or what they own and then leaving.

Recently I've acquired a 3DS for free, but I was planning on buying an XL solely for a better Smash experience. Now that I've found this 3DS I'm debating whether or not to keep it or just go with the XL after all.

Forgive me, as I just picked up a 3DS, but are there games that are very highly detailed like Smash Bros., or require very quick and precise button inputs? Do you (XL Owners) feel like the gameplay experience is improved on the XL? Do you feel as if a "high-detail" game (or precise button inputs) will work much better on the XL? Or do you think it's relatively the same?

When playing NSMB2 I often feel like the A+B+X+Y buttons are too close together, and I can't comfortably grip the 3DS while having my fingers on the L+R buttons. Does the XL offer more/less comfort? I'm worried that perhaps the XL might feel too big in my hands, or the buttons will be too far apart to perform quick inputs.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I know Fire Emblem does better with a bigger screen. A game like smash bros would be better with an XL IMO because of the fact that four players can play and they will be tiny.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I would say the 3DS XL does better, because it is more comfortable to hold for long play sessions. The regular 3DS is blocky and more uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
I would say the 3DS XL does better, because it is more comfortable to hold for long play sessions. The regular 3DS is blocky and more uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.
I haven't really played my 3DS for more than an hour. Hmm.

I know Fire Emblem does better with a bigger screen.
Could you give some examples/differences between the two versions? What is harder/easier to see/do?

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Could you give some examples/differences between the two versions? What is harder/easier to see/do?
The small characters are mainly easier to see. When looking at it through the XL, and then the regular, you can see how much better it is. That's really it for FE.
Also, I tried both and the XL is just sssoooo comfortable in my hands. It fits perfectly! If you plan on playing Smash for the 3DS, I assume you would want a CPP, and the 3DS XL has a more comfortable one, but it makes it really big.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've played on both the original before I upgraded to the XL and I can definitely say that the XL is much more comfortable to hold for me. Although I'm not sure if the button layout is that much different from the original though, especially the distance between the A, B, X and Y buttons compared to the original. But it definitely feels better, plus it has two small black sponges at the top of the 3D screen in order to prevent it from getting scratched up which was a design flaw in the original. I'm not sure if they fixed it now in later models but you certainly won't be bothered by it in the XL model.

Perhaps if you can, you should check out in one of the games stores if they have a section where you can try out some 3DS games and if it has both the original and XL models you can try out the XL and see if it feels more comfortable to you or not.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Did you get the free 3DS from that one tournament? Somebody was doing a random drawing, right? Anyways, for a game like smash, it'd be best to get an XL. Also, the XL has a larger range on the 3D slider if you wanted to know. Oh, and Kikwi, I can't believe I never noticed the sponges on top:p

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Oh yeah, I just want to say that if you switch to the 3DS XL, the 3D might be a little hard to get used to. It isn't because it is worse, but it's mainly because your eyes need to adjust from the regular to the Xl 3D

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
Well, I have the regular 3DS, and I'd gladly upgrade to an XL, but there is just one issue.

There's no purple XL :(

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
and not to double post here. But I might be gettin mt 3DS XL very soon (someone got interested in buying my 3DS on eBay :D) But can someone tell me what's better stuff it's has like is 3D better? cause the 3D on my original hurt my eyes.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
and not to double post here. But I might be gettin mt 3DS XL very soon (someone got interested in buying my 3DS on eBay :D) But can someone tell me what's better stuff it's has like is 3D better? cause the 3D on my original hurt my eyes.
If the 3D hurts your eyes in the original. I doubt it's going to be any different with the XL model. It's something you can get used to over time though. It was the same with me, now I almost always have the 3D on unless I'm in away from home in order to save battery power.

Well if you want to know the better stuff I think you pretty much need to read through the thread since most of the advantages have pretty much been mentioned here. Though if I can think of a few new ones I guess I will mention them in the thread.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
meh whatever I just hear the 3D was better on XL cause the original I always saw like images which I didn't like :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The 3D is better in regards that you won't get any ghosting effects as easily when you move your head a little bit. (Was that what you meant?) But it's not really going to prevent your eyes from getting hurt if you're not used to it. It's a kind of thing you get used to over time, like I said.

Also it depends on how sharp the developers have made the 3D in their games. Some do such a poor job your eyes will hurt no matter how used to it you are. That's why you should use the slider to put in at a position that will feel the most comfortable for you.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
hmmmm okay I see :\ but I'll do that when I feel like it for now Ima try to beat GS:DD o3o

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I forgot that different games have different effects. Maybe playing one game most of the time has made me forget

Top Bottom