• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's an online game engine/platform that allows you to make your own games and upload them for other people to play, notable cause it's very easy and intuitive for kids to make stuff with a good amount of flexibility, and it has a blocky minecraft-adjacent visual style. It's been around for like over 15 years and is extremely popular, iirc it's like top 3 most actively played games consistently for years. I'm a zoomer so I have a lot of nostalgia for it.
zoomers are getting nostalgia now? as if I didn’t feel old enough

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
zoomers are getting nostalgia now? as if I didn’t feel old enough
I'm 20 and in university, that's just how it is lol. Nostalgia kicks in very early.

In terms of characters imo Genshin present the msot potential.

canoncially traveller is kind of like Kirby and uses the other characters abilities (that’s what the gacha is) and that’s how the gameplay works, you create a team of 4 and transform between them to use their abilities.

With that midneser the character can be made to swap to a differnt character to do a move for every move.

That sounds like hell to develop but it also sounds like a dlc character.

Big issue is that almost every character has some weird gimmick.

But hoesnlty making a moveset for Genshin would be pretty fun I might do that.
Genshin has a lot of characters I think could be good to pick. Raiden Ei is really really popular and could have a fun moveset, but I could see them wanting to veer away from a character like her who shows up a while later and who not everyone will have. Hu Tao is one of the most popular characters and I think she'd be quite unique as well. I think Traveller is the best pick overall though, one of those cases where just picking the main character I feel like would make the most sense. The Traveller isn't a complete blank slate and they'd basically be the Avatar in Smash, so their moveset kinda sells itself.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
6 years ago Overwatch was one of my favorite games, and I would have loved someone like Tracer in Smash as a fighter. Now when Overwatch gets brought up I only feel pain. That does have me thinking though.

Minecraft is the newest 3rd party series represented on the roster, (technically Bayonetta if you count Cave Game, but for the sake of my question I won’t). How likely do you think it is that we see a series that debuted after Minecraft (November 18, 2011) get represented on the roster of the next Smash, and what series do you think it would be?

If it does my best guess would be Undertale

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It would be interesting to see how nostalgia manifested itself with different gamers in various eras. As on older player that grew up in the 90s, it's hard to really quantify how quickly things changed in gaming from the 4th to 6th generations or how something like 2D platformers fell out of favor so quickly that something like six/seven years really did feel like a lifetime when looking at the altered landscape of the hobby.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Very interesting discussion around Overwatch. One of the reasons I think Roadhog would be a great fit for Smash is that his chain is a very easy recovery option. Spoiler for my moveset idea for him but I'd make it like Byleths where if he lands it on the opponent while in the air he spikes them downward. Plus I'd give him a tether grab that could be used to recover with the same chain in a horizontal fashion instead like all the other tether grabs.

I don't mind people not wanting any Blizzard IP in the game. They made those IPs so it's fair game to associate them with the actions of the company. I very much dislike when Crash/Spyro is lumped with them because they were acquired not something Activison created in-house though it still was a valid concern back during the Ultimate DLC cycle since either (or both please both) of them getting into Smash would have benefitted the company nonetheless which is would have definitely spoiled both the celebratory feel of Smash (especially Ultimate) and peoples' genuine love for those characters. I legitimately can't believe the company got to that point to be honest. It's one thing to just be cynically greedy and stop making games in favor of just milking "services" over and over again but it's another thing entirely to have such a flagrantly disgusting and depraved working environment. Power and wealth brings out all sorts of gross behavior in people that feel unstoppable. Thanks capitalism.

I'm not trying to excuse anything I've mentioned above by noting this but I don't think the Overwatch team themselves played a direct part of this toxicity other than just playing an indirect part of it by simply working at Blizzard. I'm pretty sure it was primarily the WOW and Diablo devs. Even then I love those IPs too and they deserved better people at the helm of them.

It just kind of sucks being a fan of Blizzard properties in general these days. There's just bad vibes all around.

While I'm sure Microsoft has already and will continue to address these issues within the company I also am not going to act like Microsoft as a company isn't just as problematic of a company themselves (or any company really in this day and age) and that extends beyond just their decisions in the gaming market.

All the other companies represented in Smash also have skeletons in the closet including Nintendo themselves. It's just capitalism at the end of the day. It incentivizes actions that are bad for the world community and environment over and over again to chase made up numbers (that just so happen to make the worst kinds of people more powerful) at the cost of the stability of society it needs to literally function. I'll leave it at that. Just watch people get poorer as prices go up. It's not a bug; it's feature of the system.

Laniv

Smash Champion
as if lion king turning 30 wasn’t bad enough
The wh--

...Huh. Guess it is.

I realize, this year, the following games turn 30:

• Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong '94 (but that was obvious...)
  • Tekken
  • Super Metroid (just last month, actually!)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
  • The King of Fighters '94 (well...)
  • DOOM II
  • EarthBound
  • Daytona USA

Congratulations, everyone reading this now feels 10-15 years older. :p

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Got a question I've been meaning to ask - let's assume for the moment that Terry will return, and SNK's cooperation has made Sakurai and/or Nintendo keen on the idea of working with them further. Which SNK characters do you think we'd have a chance of seeing, and who would you want to see?
My choices for SNK newcomers are Athena Asamiya, Iori and Nakoruru.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
The wh--

...Huh. Guess it is.

• Donkey Kong Country
  • Tekken
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • DOOM II
  • EarthBound
  • Daytona USA

Tfw you've played almost every game on this list (literally the only exception being Fire Emblem)

for ****'s sake I'M not even 30 yet and I feel old as hell lmao

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
The wh--

...Huh. Guess it is.

• Donkey Kong Country
  • Tekken
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • DOOM II
  • EarthBound
  • Daytona USA

Along with:
  • River City Girls Zero (Shin Nekketsu Kōha: Kunio-tachi no Banka in Japan)
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Art of Fighting 2

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I think with the exception of 64 and Melee, the Smash games have always had about 2-3 years worth of development time.
TBF, We don't know when Smash 6 entered development (or if it's even in development at all tbh), someone here mentioned i think mid 2023 and it has something to do with team S, my memory is pretty bad, so i could be ways off lol.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The wh--

...Huh. Guess it is.

• Donkey Kong Country
  • Tekken
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • DOOM II
  • EarthBound
  • Daytona USA

Don’t remind me lol. I just turned 40 this Monday and I feel ancient.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
None taken. At least I’m not the only one over 40 on these boards so it’s not so bad. Just hard to relate to the young’uns for things I’m nostalgic about from my own childhood when most people here weren’t born yet.
I have been there about the relating to young people, Gengar84, in more ways than one! Some of the things they are interested in nowadays do not interest me.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
6 years ago Overwatch was one of my favorite games, and I would have loved someone like Tracer in Smash as a fighter. Now when Overwatch gets brought up I only feel pain. That does have me thinking though.

Minecraft is the newest 3rd party series represented on the roster, (technically Bayonetta if you count Cave Game, but for the sake of my question I won’t). How likely do you think it is that we see a series that debuted after Minecraft (November 18, 2011) get represented on the roster of the next Smash, and what series do you think it would be?

If it does my best guess would be Undertale
Probably either Genshin Impact, Undertale, Hades or more controversiallly...Apex Legends (I think Wraith and Pathfinder would fit well in Smash lol).
I think we're definitely getting at least one esport or free-to-play and indie 3rd party rep next game, they're a big part of the industry now and a smash bros character would generate plenty of interest from people outside the fandom.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Probably either Genshin Impact, Undertale, Hades or more controversiallly...Apex Legends (I think Wraith and Pathfinder would fit well in Smash lol).
I think we're definitely getting at least one esport or free-to-play and indie 3rd party rep next game, they're a big part of the industry now and a smash bros character would generate plenty of interest from people outside the fandom.
I’m not sure how likely it is but my most wanted third party series that debuted after 2011 is probably Octopath Traveller. It has such a cool, unique look, fun combat, simple but enjoyable stories, and amazing music. For first party, I’d go with Astral Chain.

As for esports games, I’d love to see a character from WarCraft, StarCraft, or League of Legends. None of them debuted after 2011 but League of Legends is at least around that general time period. I’m not really into esports but I do enjoy the worlds and characters of those games. Arcane is my favorite video game based series or movie even though I’ve never played LoL.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Not really an Apex player, I've dabbled here and there and I do enjoy me some Titanfall, but all-in-all it isn't a battle royale I particularly enjoy

However a Pokemon Trainer-esque team of 3 Apex characters would be a cool pick for smash, I would pick Bloodhound, Pathfinder and Lifeline because that seems like a unique mixture of characters for smash in terms of gameplay, and each one I would say is an icon of Apex (from what I know and have seen)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The wh--

...Huh. Guess it is.

• Donkey Kong Country
  • Tekken
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • DOOM II
  • EarthBound
  • Daytona USA

Of these, I've only played Donkey Kong Country.

On the SNES Mini at my college.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I feel like this isn't a great comparison, the difference is that Dante and Devil May Cry are both much more popular than the examples you listed. You could argue it's a bandwagon in the fanbase sure, and I definitely don't think it would reach the same heights as it did when Dante was trending on twitter, but people are still gonna keep requesting Dante a lot because he's Dante.
Oh yeah, I definitely don't think Dante is going to stop being requested altogether or anything like that. However, Rayman still gets requests too, they're just not nearly as common as they were during Smash for Wii U/3DS' DLC (Shovel Knight has kind of gone the way of the Dodo, though).

It's a relative decrease in popularity where Dante is no longer hegemonic like he used to be, rather than being a non-presence. He's no longer a character discussed daily, nor are we doing things like considering Vergil as a second DMC rep anymore. I don't think he hit the lows that Rayman or Shovel Knight are currently experiencing, but I think he'll stay closer to, say, Lloyd's level of popularity unless DMCVI is released during the next game's speculation period and/or Capcom's other candidates are thinned out.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I never said anything about them being likely, the whole indie list before that and the brief mobile mention were all characters/series I'd be happy to see, nothing more. I know realistically, stuff like Nikke, Pseudoregalia, Signalis, etc have an actual 0 chance and most of the others don't fare much better.

That's pretty surface level and dismissive but I suppose I can't fault you for that considering the marketing. Either way, they're not really a serious consideration. If Mai couldn't get in as a background cameo I don't see any scenario where Nikke, Azure Lane,etc have any real chance.

I would include Granblue in the camp of mobile/gachas with some chance though. Probably still behind Genshin but that's a pretty notable series as well.
Signalis in Smash would go so hard, though.

A person can dream...

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, I definitely don't think Dante is going to stop being requested altogether or anything like that. However, Rayman still gets requests too, they're just not nearly as common as they were during Smash for Wii U/3DS' DLC (Shovel Knight has kind of gone the way of the Dodo, though).
I'm not gonna argue how he compares to Dante since I don't follow Dante enough to know how much he's requested, but the idea that Rayman's requests peaked in the Smash 4 era has always been a misconception considering he's still in the top 10 or sometimes 5 of almost every major poll in recent years. Possibly more speculated and talked about due to the times and the artsy omni leak, but the requests are still strong.

Dante I have no idea like I said, though I feel I've seen him quite a bit.

Top Bottom