• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Is the 3DS version slow?

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
Before this goes where it doesn't need to, I'm not talking about the game play being slow compared to Melee or anything like that, I'm talking about actual game slow down.

I've owned this game for almost 6 months on the 3DS before I ever purchased a Wii U. Then the day I did, it felt like I was playing an ENTIRELY different game. Now when I jump back to the 3DS for portable play, I feel like the game is moving in slow motion. I've tried to find if any one else felt like this, but have dug up nothing. I am running the game from the 3DS off an SD card, it's not the cartridge. I just feel like the game moves like it's underwater. I'm not talking about a game being laggy, I get lag on the Wii U as well, it happens with any online game, I'm talking about where it feels like the system can't keep up with running the game and frame rate drops or something. It's hard to explain.

When I play on my Wii U I never experience any of this, the game just plays like butter, but when I jump onto the 3DS it feels like the game is trudging through a muddy swamp.

Do any of you notice this difference or am I just checking in early to the nut house?

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
Do you happen to be playing matches with items when the slowdown happens?
No, a lot of time it's just online in For Glory. Just a quick morning match before work. Even trying to fast fall feels like I have no control or sense of speed. It's just like mud. Trying to figure this out, I watched online videos from the 3DS version and was like "wow that is SO SLOW, maybe it's just the 3DS version" And now I'm here.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I have never felt as though my 3DS version were dropping frames, outside of the sole case of point-blank contact between FireFox while charging, and an opponent.

manrangan

Smash Cadet
NNID
manrangan
3DS FC
1289-8629-2870
Switch FC
SW-8204-8475-7607
It definitely feels slower, honestly. Personally, I never really do anything on Smash 3DS besides the online mode. I used to do Smash Run when I was trying to unlock custom moves, but since the custom meta is out of the way, I stopped with that. I still play it online sometimes because of my friends who only have the online mode, but the online on 3DS is definitely slower than Wii U.

Khao

Smash Lord
Probably just some sort of optical illusion due to the game being far less detailed and on a smaller screen with a lower resolution.

Both versions run at a consistent 60 fps, and that's true even when playing in 3D mode on 3DS, and they also have mechanics that are absolutely identical even when comparing to a frame-by-frame level.

So nah, the games are the same. Wii U just feels better due to the graphics and all the extra bells and whistles working their magic. Possibly the better control options help as well.

Last edited:

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Why is it that Wii online is usually 50-100% game speed while online 3ds is usually 20-70% game speed in online 4 player matches

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I have over 300 hours clocked on the 3DS version and slowdowns never occurred.
Why is it that Wii online is usually 50-100% game speed while online 3ds is usually 20-70% game speed in online 4 player matches
The issue must be on your end. I often have fast 4 players matches in both versions of the game. Which is surprising because back when the game was released, 4 player matches were always laggy as hell.

Raijinken

Smash Master
This sounds most like an internet issue. In which case, I do agree, the 3DS's wifi runs worse than the U's. Though in my case, that is easily justified by the fact that I'm running my U through ethernet, and the 3DS has no such option.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I have over 300 hours clocked on the 3DS version and slowdowns never occurred.
I literally don't believe that, maybe in 1v1 its pretty believable but to have no slowdowns in 4 players, either you're making it up, or you aren't noticing it and believe its normal speed. Try timing a match some time, and you'll find that the 2 minute match was actually 3 minutes long.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I literally don't believe that, maybe in 1v1 its pretty believable but to have no slowdowns in 4 players, either you're making it up, or you aren't noticing it and believe its normal speed. Try timing a match some time, and you'll find that the 2 minute match was actually 3 minutes long.
I am obviously talking about the game's performance, not about online lag. Also, you believing me or not is entirely irrelevant to me.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
It works both ways. Going from 3ds > wii u feels slower and vice versa. Both games play the same, really.
Except wii u online is objectively more **** without a wired connection.

Nice reading comprehension.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I am obviously talking about the game's performance, not about online lag. Also, you believing me or not is entirely irrelevant to me.
Didn't see the post was made before the quote, but my point still stands and an online lag slowdown is still a slowdown.

Top Bottom