• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If You Could Rework Mario

supersmashbro99

Smash Rookie
If you could rework Mario, what would you do? For example, if I would rework Mario, I would make him seem happier and energetic, instead of him looking like he’s about to kill somebody.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I second the "happier" thought. I think in general the 64 and Melee characters are fine, and only really need minor cosmetic stuff like that - Sonic, Mega Man, Belmonts and most of the SSBU DLC should be top priority for reworks. I think I would revive Mario Tornado, but add Cappy to it, and while I'd keep the cape, I would change the animation to a Tanooki tail.

Last edited:

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman

how groundbreaking.

yes.

indeed.

lol.

a "happier" mario.

funny. haha.

I've always noticed he looks menacing.

personally gosh. I love his white outfit. With red shirt. like in super mario bros for snes.

for answering. just my creative thought. haha. really lovely outfit of his.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Mario’s , Specials ; side = Cappy , & , Neutral = same

Mario’s , Specials ; down = elephant transform, & , up = cape

Quillion

Smash Hero
IDK about the whole idea of making Mario more cheerful tbh. One of the strengths of Mario is that he's versatile enough to adapt to any situation he's in, so a fighting game would be a good spot to make him more serious.

OTOH, after playing the latest versions of Smash Crusade and CMC+, I think a nice compromise would be to make Mario happier, but keep around Doc's more serious attitude.

And yeah, I agree that they should bring back the special Tornado over FLUDD. Also, while I do feel Mario is best being as "basic" as possible, adding the Wing Cap to SJP here was a nice touch:

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Lol no way, Marios here to throw hands, he means business. Every bit as serious as Ike leading the charge on the bloody battlefield, fully prepared to fight side-by-side with the Belmonts on the quest to murder monsters & vampires. Who do you see front and center? He hasn't the luxury of empathy, he can show no weakness.

What I wouldn't mind is a return of laffy daffy Luigi. The one that goes YIPPEE as he forward chops your caratoid artery.

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman
Lol no way, Marios here to throw hands, he means business. Every bit as serious as Ike leading the charge on the bloody battlefield, fully prepared to fight side-by-side with the Belmonts on the quest to murder monsters & vampires. Who do you see front and center? He hasn't the luxury of empathy, he can show no weakness.

oh wow. :- o

big old pop-off.

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman
The only things I'd really change about Mario is making his side and down specials the Roll from 3D Land onwards and Spin from Mario Galaxy, respectively. I felt like those moves would best suit his beginner-friendly playstyle.

good mentions.

I like the spin one.

do you remember his cap toss? in mario galaxy.

I think also without the face of Cappy.

it's a neat suiter overall move for him in some way.

he does appear to randomly don a cap in the games.

Last edited:

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
But he's also the face of smash. And it's only fitting that he have a single outlying confusticating ramshackle contrabulous fabtraption in his back pocket, in my opinion. Let doc have that garbo tornado lol

Replacing cape with the spin attack from Mario Galaxy would be cool though. Reflector in all, just like in the source game. Although the cape's "180 flip" property is rather unique now that I think about it.

Top Bottom