• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you approach olimars

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
like the title says.Id much rather fight a pro mk rather than a pro olimar simply cause i suck at approaching them.Whats that MU look like?Any vids of d3 vs olimar would be cool to.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
^^^lol'd

I play some dedede on the side and fight an olimar player on a regular bases. what albino said is really all you can do. A surprise back air or spaced f-tilt helps too. Your U-tilt gets rid of all the pikmin on you fairly quickly so use it whenever ya get a chance.

Coney

Smash Master
i play an olimar a lot, me and logic have played five or six times in tournament

we have a record of, um, 3-4 i think? him winning four sets, me winning three. what's supposed to be a 6-4 MU always comes down to really just who's playing better and smarter at the time. they always go to game 3, unless something silly happens (two weeks ago i won 2-0 because i survived a purp uthrow @ 158% on halberd somehow, i'm pretty sure this demoralized him and i made a huge comeback)

here are two sets; i win one, and lose one. the one i lose is tournament, the one i win is a serious friendly set so, consider that when you watch

FRIENDLY SET

Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

TOURNEY SET

Game 1 [get scraped terribly]
Game 2 [was testing out my pocket wario here, just putting here for reference]
Game 3 [lose control, suffer a horrible comeback]

things to take note:

- i use inhale waaay too much when i'm on autopilot, but it really is a great move against oli. it sometimes beats out grab (not always), beats whistle, beats a lot of stuff.

- nair is really good in the MU also...as is ftilt. i like, never use ftilt for some reason, especially not against olimar, probably because i play in the air so much, but you really should. it's really good.

- GET HIM IN THE AIR. that's the main point of this MU. then it becomes a guessing game with guessing his aerial (usually nair), an airdodge, or whistle. all of these can be beat.

- no matter how much you know the MU, it's never an auto-win. despite me having a lot of familiarity in the MU and beating a lot of good olimars, i lost to fino @ MLG columbus, with him admittedly having little ddd experience. it's because he played smarter than me, and was more campy than i was used to. never forget that it IS a 6-4 MU and you have to be careful.

sorry to be pretty wordy...just trying to help!

EDIT - one more thing...i know it seems helpless but trust me, fighting a campy olimar isn't as bad as fighting a campy MK. one you can overwhelm off the edge, and then kill at nearly any time with a good read offstage. the other...you can rack up damage on MK quick but getting the kill is extremely difficult. and if he kills you first, that's pretty much game.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
keep approaching olimar-- aka rush down. If you give him time to camp your taking too much damage, get inside and give him hell

with ftilt basically you can use it to punish him for fsmash as it goes thru it, or in some situations mis placed grabs

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
Nah coney if anything i bet you coulda said more lol.Thanks for the vids im bout to give em a look :D
D3 really just has to be patient and what not i guess!I bet falling inhales would be better than fallin bairs since an olimar would always see it comin.

Edit:I got mindgamed thinkin your d3 was like super fast lol.

Coney

Smash Master
LOL yeah the beginning of that first video is IN REAL TIME

oh also one more thing i wanted to cover:

watch this.

that is a CLASSIC OLIMAR BAIT. i went for it because i was dumb and it was just a friendly but in a serious set, you should NEVER go for a punish on an olimar that does that, unless he does it so there'll be lag. it's a very common bait, look out for it.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
alot of high level play skaterbaj for DDD, is playing very very patiently and getting the most out of your reads

patient does not always mean camping. Just remember that you have to be relatively close to your opponent to get damage in as DDD has no long distance meta game

what coney is saying about that match tho, can be applied to other characters as well. They bait you with one move and follow up with a very strong punishing move. In that situation, if coney had stalled on the platform or more cautiously got back onto the stage he might of lived a few % more. Which can mean the diff between winning/losing the set sometimes

knowing when to identifying these situational hazards and reacting appropriately is part of playing high level tho-- which is why its important to keep in mind what tools your opponents have that are strong punishers, n how to avoid them

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Coney's advice is very legit. It really helped me against Hilt (he still beat me but I did well). Listen to him!!!

I did find pretty much that we're big fatasses that still live to high percents even against Oli so don't put too much emphasis into percents. The white pikmin are the only ones you need to get off you immediately. If you are patient and space your tilts correctly and chase off the stage you'll do well. I found that my D-tilt was great for killing off non purple pikmin. Patience is so key in this MU. You just need to slowly whittle down the pikmin while slowly closing the gap. It works only because of our obscene range on some of our attacks.

If none of this makes since..I'm drunk lol I snuck away from the Cinci tournament and am currently chilling in a bar LOL

Dnyce

Smash Master
- no matter how much you know the MU, it's never an auto-win. despite me having a lot of familiarity in the MU and beating a lot of good olimars, i lost to fino @ MLG columbus, with him admittedly having little ddd experience. it's because he played smarter than me, and was more campy than i was used to. never forget that it IS a 6-4 MU and you have to be careful.
I don't remember saying having little DDD exp. I've played lots and lots of DDDs, I just haven't played a good one before. Maybe I have and just didn't know it, lmao ^^;

I would take everything Coney says to heart. He is the only DDD I've ever had to think against in tournament. I normally just autopilot and win, but I kinda got ***** on RC for that, and game 3 was hella serious. It was **** close if I remember too. It was a really enjoyable match, and it was interesting talking with him after wards. Definitely a smart man.

Here's the matches if you guys want to watch them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D67oDQ_IZNU (I win)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6SbNVrgpPQ (Coney wins)

I think the biggest thing was him running in for shield grabs, which I think he noticed and said to me after the match as well. I think logic must have conditioned coney into that because that would be my reaction to an olimar using fsmash (The timing he uses for every dashing shield grab is close to what you would need to pshield-grab a spaced fsmash). I also think I got away with some purple pikmin tosses cause of the minor lag on the tv.

Another thing I should add, Olimar's fair cannot be shield grabbed if spaced. Use ftilt instead for some free damage.

Coney

Smash Master
I don't remember saying having little DDD exp. I've played lots and lots of DDDs, I just haven't played a good one before.
oh yeah, that's what i meant, my mistake hahah

and thank you babydoll <33

ima get you next time though

Tmacc

Smash Lord
It's interesting that this topic was posted. I spent a LOT of time this weekend breaking down coney's vs Olimar videos. I watched how he approach; I watched how he used inhale; I watched how he fought him offstage and punished whistle; everything.
The main thing I noticed (and watch it in the video, look CLOSELY) is the ANGLE that coney approaches the olimar at from the air. He approaches in a way that he can't get punished, and if he can't get in from the air, he retreats back out of pikmon throw range.
He rushes the olimar down when he is landing; this is SO important to help keep him in the air. Once we get him there, always always punish the landing, preferably with a grab is possible. Chase him down.
I learned so much from studying them this weekend and Monday. I'm gonna test some of what I've learned out on Fino this weekend at a KS tournament if he'd be down for friendlies (I'm sure he is, right? :D)
Basically, listen to what coney said, and analyze what he does in the videos. Ask yourself WHY he does it. Just think analytically.
That's all I got for now!

Top Bottom