• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS FFA tips?

piscaso

Smash Cadet
Me and my friends like to play the 3ds version after school, but often there are only 3 people. When there are 4 I tend to push for team matches since they're a bit more competitive/fair/based on skill (I would say I am the most competitive out of them). But more often than not we just play FFA. I personally don't find them nearly as fun as 1v1, but you do what you can. I often find that when playing I get combod by two or more people at once (meaning I can't do anything but get a whole bunch of percent on me quickly and can't get out of the combo) and this also happens to some of the others guys too. I do find that one of my friends tends to win way more often than us, especially in FFA. He's actually really good 1v1 too, but it seems like he does WAY better in FFA than anything else. I don't know if it's his characters or some sort of strategy, but I'm looking for some tips to get better in FFAs, or characters that are good in them.

In case you're wondering he plays mostly Palutena and Zelda, but sometimes Peach or Dark Pit and rarely Villager. I generally tend to try many characters but generally get the same results (die really quickly because everyone teams up, but every so often become one of the last two, I mostly lose but occasionally win when the other guy is out first). I guess I main CF, MK, and LM but I've been dabbling in some others. I used to main Ganon and DDD but dropped them.

Thank you!

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Trying to win... look for the double teams if someone has a huge lead, call for it. It is a differnet kind of strategy.

When playing FFA... embrace the chaos. One on one is a tactical battle while free for all is a chaotic fun mess. Win's and losses aren't nearly as much a test of skill as the 1 vs 1.

I have found when I play FFA... i can't be as married to the combos I am trying to learn, and need to use the offstage game much more sparingly...

IMO one of the best things about smash is how it can be both the tactical one on one and the crazy free for all party game. Treat it half like a competitive tournament, and half like fun with friends.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Play Bowser or a character with a counter or piercing projectile. Characters with stupid moves that don't work that well in 1v1 (full charge Flare Blade, Warlock Punch, Falcon Punch, PK Flash, etc) work surprisingly well in FFA.

The key thing, especially in 3-for-all, is to stay out of the middle.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Me and my friends like to play the 3ds version after school, but often there are only 3 people. When there are 4 I tend to push for team matches since they're a bit more competitive/fair/based on skill (I would say I am the most competitive out of them). But more often than not we just play FFA. I personally don't find them nearly as fun as 1v1, but you do what you can. I often find that when playing I get combod by two or more people at once (meaning I can't do anything but get a whole bunch of percent on me quickly and can't get out of the combo) and this also happens to some of the others guys too. I do find that one of my friends tends to win way more often than us, especially in FFA. He's actually really good 1v1 too, but it seems like he does WAY better in FFA than anything else. I don't know if it's his characters or some sort of strategy, but I'm looking for some tips to get better in FFAs, or characters that are good in them.

In case you're wondering he plays mostly Palutena and Zelda, but sometimes Peach or Dark Pit and rarely Villager. I generally tend to try many characters but generally get the same results (die really quickly because everyone teams up, but every so often become one of the last two, I mostly lose but occasionally win when the other guy is out first). I guess I main CF, MK, and LM but I've been dabbling in some others. I used to main Ganon and DDD but dropped them.

Thank you!
An alternative I can offer you is to play a little mini-game I play with my friends when there are only three of us. I call it "Journey".

Basically all three of you are on a team versus at computer with 10 stock. The catch however is:

- Team attack must be on.
- Every player must SD to their last stock (No one is permitted to attack the CPU until they do)

It's more for casual fun but it can definitively teach you some fundamentals and mechanics of the game.

XenoBlur

Smash Cadet
NNID
XEN0_BLUR
An alternative I can offer you is to play a little mini-game I play with my friends when there are only three of us. I call it "Journey".

Basically all three of you are on a team versus at computer with 10 stock. The catch however is:

- Team attack must be on.
- Every player must SD to their last stock (No one is permitted to attack the CPU until they do)

It's more for casual fun but it can definitively teach you some fundamentals and mechanics of the game.
Well thats difficult lol, Have you ever won your mini game?

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Well thats difficult lol, Have you ever won your mini game?
Plenty of times. It relies heavily on working as a team which makes it a lot of fun. I plan on making a thread about it sometime in the future once I get a proper capture device.

Last edited:

ZeekLTK

Smash Cadet
Play as Link; you can keep them away from you with projectiles, but the sword is strong enough to get in on the action as well. If you start to feel like you are surrounded you can quickly clear space with up-Smash or up-B, since those both have hitboxes that cover the entire area around your body. And if your opponents are busy fighting each other, you can run in and get them with your hard hitting dash attack.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Play as Link; you can keep them away from you with projectiles, but the sword is strong enough to get in on the action as well. If you start to feel like you are surrounded you can quickly clear space with up-Smash or up-B, since those both have hitboxes that cover the entire area around your body. And if your opponents are busy fighting each other, you can run in and get them with your hard hitting dash attack.
Link is "okay" in FFA. While you can use projectiles from a far close quarters combat isn't exactly his strongest area. He's a bit slower than most fighters and relies more on zoning his opponents.

This can prove to be difficult in FFA considering there will be cases where multiple players attack you all at once. Not to mention there being less stage space because of the larger number of players.

U-Smash and Up-B are some of his fastest moves but have a ton of ending lag which could easily get you punished or even killed. Also, you never want to approach in FFA's unless you're more than certain you can finish them off.

Link can still win but it's a lot harder compared to 1v1 and there are a lot of other characters who are more adaptive to FFA.

piscaso

Smash Cadet
Link is "okay" in FFA. While you can use projectiles from a far close quarters combat isn't exactly his strongest area. He's a bit slower than most fighters and relies more on zoning his opponents.

This can prove to be difficult in FFA considering there will be cases where multiple players attack you all at once. Not to mention there being less stage space because of the larger number of players.

U-Smash and Up-B are some of his fastest moves but have a ton of ending lag which could easily get you punished or even killed. Also, you never want to approach in FFA's unless you're more than certain you can finish them off.

Link can still win but it's a lot harder compared to 1v1 and there are a lot of other characters who are more adaptive to FFA.
Actually think Link excels much more in FFA than 1v1. He's slow, which doesn't matter as much in chaos, his sword is insanely powerful and has range, and he's fairly heavy (plus projectiles). With link you can camp and spam the side and up smash and win pretty easily. The down but mostly up air are also stupidly strong. While in 1v1 the opponent can capitalize on the lag, in FFA it's near impossible to grab combo since you can be interrupted at any time. So while Toon Link has more speed, less lag, and weaker but easier to combo moves, Link can hit only a few times and still have stupid knockback.

Some characters are just stupid good in FFA. Link is one. Kirby can be since he's fast, unthreatening (people just don't really go for him), and the rock is spammable AF. Since the rock has a lot of lag and it's weakness is grabs, as mentioned before, they are pretty useless in a FFA. So you can just kinda spam the rock very easily.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Actually think Link excels much more in FFA than 1v1. He's slow, which doesn't matter as much in chaos, his sword is insanely powerful and has range, and he's fairly heavy (plus projectiles). With link you can camp and spam the side and up smash and win pretty easily. The down but mostly up air are also stupidly strong. While in 1v1 the opponent can capitalize on the lag, in FFA it's near impossible to grab combo since you can be interrupted at any time. So while Toon Link has more speed, less lag, and weaker but easier to combo moves, Link can hit only a few times and still have stupid knockback.

Some characters are just stupid good in FFA. Link is one. Kirby can be since he's fast, unthreatening (people just don't really go for him), and the rock is spammable AF. Since the rock has a lot of lag and it's weakness is grabs, as mentioned before, they are pretty useless in a FFA. So you can just kinda spam the rock very easily.
I bet you money in a 8-player FFA match the average Link player would not win. You give him far too much credit for what he's capable of.

piscaso

Smash Cadet
I bet you money in a 8-player FFA match the average Link player would not win. You give him far too much credit for what he's capable of.
8 Player is different than 3 or 4 for all haha. Idk about 8 player, but in 3 or 4 player he's stupid good.

I'm pretty sure nobody has an advantage at all in 8 player. I think it's just plain random.

Last edited:
Top Bottom