• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Costumes and Characters are Not the Same

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
I recently participated in an online tournament that was organized on Discord. It was a small tournament that was being held by a small Nintendo server I'm a member of, and you had to be a server member to join. While reading over the tournament rules, I got to a section titled "allowed fighters and banned fighters," and two of the fighters allowed were named "Shantae" and "Sans." I contacted the server's creator and owner (who was responsible for the tournament) and politely asked her to fix this mistake. I thought it was just a dumb joke, but she doubled down. She seriously believed that Shantae and Sans were really in the game, and not just costumes.

What I'm trying to say has already been said in the title. Sans and Shantae are not in the game, and I'm sick of this belief that they are. Zero, Dante, and Cuphead aren't in either, and while that disappoints me, I still like Smash. I got over it, but I know some people that still have to.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
It does seem pretty confusing for a tournament to use language that makes mii costumes seem like real characters but I don’t see how this is a wider problem? It just seems like a funny instance of one tournament organizer being kind of confusing over what counts as a character.

Last edited:

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
It does seem pretty confusing for a tournament to use language that makes mii costumes seem like real characters but I don’t see how this is a wider problem? It just seems like a funny instance of one tournament organizer being kind of confusing over what counts as a character.
There is one example where this has happened on a wider scale, and it specifically involves the Sans costume. When he was revealed, so many fans actually believed this counted as him being in the game, while this same belief didn't apply to other characters. There were fan animations, fan art, and other kinds of fan works that depicted him as legitimately being an actual fighter. Most (in)famously was a series of fan art done by the Cuphead art team. They redrew every fighter in the Cuphead art style, with two Mii Costumes included: Cuphead (he is their character) and Sans. I can understand Cuphead getting this special privilege, but why Sans?

Top Bottom