• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1 new character per week equals....

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
That's not true.

If I remember seeing Melee's poll right, there where some characters down the line that made it in, but not everybody above them made it in.

The whole "1 character per week" might just be disproved tonight. It all depends on whether we get a character or not.
He never? I need to check where I heard that.

What place did he come then?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Wait, I wasn't doubting Pokemon Trainer being on the poll (I don't recall him being on it though. I'm probably wrong. XD) I was doubting that everybody above him on the poll is automatically going to make it in.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
Wait, I wasn't doubting Pokemon Trainer being on the poll (I don't recall him being on it though. I'm probably wrong. XD) I was doubting that everybody above him on the poll is automatically going to make it in.
exactly, there are other reasons why a character will make it in. not just the japanese poll. geno 4 example, imo, will not make it in. he is a third party and is only favored by the smrpg fanatics. alot of those fanatics voted. so ya he is high on the poll but that doesnt say he will be in.
if you look reasonally at the poll and the developers u find this=

the poll was created to give some insight to the developers of wat characters are popular and wanted in. It helps, but they dont need a poll nessecarily to do this.

they could look at the sales of each franchise.
here is an example (not actual figures.) =
if a metriod game sold 2 million copies over a DK game that sells 1.4 million copies, it can be shown that the metriod game is more on demand which is equivilant to bieng more popular because more homes have a copy of that game and are familiar with the characters of that game compared to the game which sold less. so statistically metriod characters would be more popular than DK characters to gamers.
so Ridley has a higher chance then King K Rool.

that is just an example explaing my point and may or may not be actual

so just cause more people voted on one poll doesnt mean the higher the character has a chance than te characters underneath. unless there were many official polls globally. with the same similar results.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
exactly, there are other reasons why a character will make it in. not just the japanese poll. geno 4 example, imo, will not make it in. he is a third party and is only favored by the smrpg fanatics. alot of those fanatics voted. so ya he is high on the poll but that doesnt say he will be in.
if you look reasonally at the poll and the developers u find this=

the poll was created to give some insight to the developers of wat characters are popular and wanted in. It helps, but they dont need a poll nessecarily to do this.

they could look at the sales of each franchise.
here is an example (not actual figures.) =
if a metriod game sold 2 million copies over a DK game that sells 1.4 million copies, it can be shown that the metriod game is more on demand which is equivilant to bieng more popular because more homes have a copy of that game and are familiar with the characters of that game compared to the game which sold less. so statistically metriod characters would be more popular than DK characters to gamers.
so Ridley has a higher chance then King K Rool.

that is just an example explaing my point and may or may not be actual

so just cause more people voted on one poll doesnt mean the higher the character has a chance than te characters underneath. unless there were many official polls globally. with the same similar results.
Exactly, that's why I think Pokemon will have about 6 characters.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I have 2 questions:

1.how many of the 25 characters from melee do you believe wont be returning?
It's hard to be sure. I truly think that Doctor Mario, Roy, and (as much as I love the little masochist) Pichu would be lucky to come back. However, I could also see Sakurai cutting Young Link and Falco (I would be heartbroken if Falco didn't make it, but I do accept it as a possibility).

So basically, 3-5 characters getting cut. I don't see anyone with an original moveset leaving though.

2. how many starters do u believe will be in brawl?.
I really haven't given it much thought. I do think that there will be more starters than there were in Melee, but it's very possible that not all the characters on the dojo are starters.

if you look porportionally to the increase in characters from 64 to melee. you can the nfind a series of patterns that will give u a pretty accurate estmate.

64 had 8 starters 4 unlockables. equals 12
melee had 14 starters 11 unlockables.= 25

melee started out with more than brawl ended with....
within 2 years.

melee to brawl=

melee = 14 + 11 = 25
brawl= so far 17. but the question is how many starters? when that is answered then you can think of the number of unlockables. there will be more starters than there will be unlockables.
there should be more starters then the total of melee but sakurai stated their wouldnt be such an increase like their was from brawl to melee. so then i figure it will be say 3 or 4 less then the total of melee.
lets even say 5
that would be 20 characters starting...
but then pit and wario
22 characters starting
then you figuer the unlockables.

-64 had half of the number of starters added as unlockables. (8 to 4)
-melee had more than a third of the number of starters added as unlockables. (14 to 11)
-brawl should have about a third of the number of starters added as unlockables if you take in sakurais word. (approx. 22 to 17)

so that would be 39 characters total

the third party characters i believe should be added seperately. since this is a nintendo franchize and these characters are guests. lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say 2 more third parties seperate from snake.
39+3
=42

so i believe a range of 42-45.

the reason bieng why i put 42 the lowest is because if you look at 64 to melee they were 2 years from eachother. yet brawl is 6 from melee.
so.. looking at a more mathematical approach would give us 42 , i believe with 6 years of a wait even if it was just 4, sakurais team could figure out how to make characters unique and elements like final smashes and footstooling really help with balancing.
and there is always the mystery character.

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION

thanks circus for debating and not flaming. i just want to hear your response to the 2 questions so i can get more insight to other peoples views.
This all seems like good math, but the problem I see with this is that it's trying to flesh out a pattern amongst the game rosters that really hasn't been created yet. I personally wouldn't base anything as specific as those numbers off of the previous games—there are only two to found anything on. Sakurai hasn't actually created a true pattern with these games yet. We expect more characters in Brawl than there were in Melee because that's just common sense, but I still think it's a bit dangerous to try and predict a roster number based on past occurrences—this is Sakurai after all.

Also, as much as I'd love to see more characters, I just think that even around 30-35 characters would give you ridiculous variety. I mean, there were 20 unique movesets in Melee, and I never felt like there was anything missing from the roster. We've already seen quite a few new, unique characters. With 30+ characters, I just see A LOT of potential. I can hardly imagine that 10-15 more than that would offer anything that I'd personally want, so I don't really have a driving desire for a huge amount of characters.

If we do end up with, like, 45 characters, then great. But for me, I think that'll really just be more characters that I just won't play as often.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
well ya if there is too many then theres more diversity and more you wouldnt play with. but i dont think its that bad. i mean at firt melee felt like a lot. but after about 5 years i started to want more because there are a lot of characters that people dont really use. the balancing seemed off.
but with all the time nintendo had till brawl i think everything will be on a grander scale. i think that just having 35 characters means that they spent all this time and effort and theres only gonna be 10 more chararacters. say you take out 3 . then that would be 22. there is already been shown 7 new characters. that means 29. pit and wario are garunteed starters because they dont say character appearing. but ne ways. here is an example of a character list for the gamers who only think 35=

29 as of today
then 6 more:

1. Ridley
2. King Dedede
3. Captain Olimar
4. King K. Rool
5. Sonic
6. Megaman

thats it? so ya the numbers seem big but when you list it out look how many characters are missing and are wanted badly.
we pretty much know there will be 2 more 3rd parties.
personally i think 3 so you can have a match of 4 of them.
but realistically just 2 more besides snake.
so that means only 4 more 1st party characters to go??

if this game was coming out for the Gamecube than yeah.
but this is the wii.

so expect about 10 more to that above list.

(the list was an example)

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
so this entire week went by and we got no mention of a new character..... this sihts is fcuked

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
pit and wario are garunteed starters because they dont say character appearing
It didn't say "New Character Approaching" for them on the site because they were already announced in the first trailer as new characters. Metaknight and Snake will probably be the same when/if their profiles are put on the site.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
I, personally, disagree with most of this. I do believe there will be 35-40 characters max, but I don't think we'll be seeing one every week.
I also don't see this as a good thing. I mean, if we were to see a new character every week, that's the 19 we know + 13 for the weeks until release. 32 characters. Chances are they'll be 15 or more unlockables (Melee had 11 after all), bumping that up to about 47. That's way too many characters.
Character updates need to be spread about a bit or Sakurai will run of content to keep us interested.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
I, personally, disagree with most of this. I do believe there will be 35-40 characters max, but I don't think we'll be seeing one every week.
I also don't see this as a good thing. I mean, if we were to see a new character every week, that's the 19 we know + 13 for the weeks until release. 32 characters. Chances are they'll be 15 or more unlockables (Melee had 11 after all), bumping that up to about 47. That's way too many characters.
Character updates need to be spread about a bit or Sakurai will run of content to keep us interested.

why is that too many characters?
this is the wii, not just a seqeul for the gamecube
35 characters is like only adding 6 because there is already 29, (considering the newcomers so far and pichu, dr mario, and roy gone) so, that is a tiny list of all the characters people want.
its like thinking melee was too much after the original.
i think there will be 24 starters. then 20 unlockables. that sounds like a lot but when your sitting there playing with so many to choose from and you realize the size of this game blew your tiny expectations away, you'll really feel as though they made the right move.
people should be a little more open minded and optimistic about playing with even more variety, to step out of what your used to, and to see that in 6 years of anticipation, this is the game people will be talking about for years to come, possibly one of the best games the wii will ever have.
i dont mean the more the merrier, im just saying that a roster of 42-45 seems very likley. because other fighting games are becoming larger, so should this one.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Hey, Chris is Cool, you must have done the calculations that I did. I took the rate of increase from SSB64 and SSBM's starter and unlocked characters and multiplied it by Melee's... to get about... wait, never mind. I got like 54. lol.

Yours sounds better.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Chris is Cool, you must have done the calculations that I did. I took the rate of increase from SSB64 and SSBM's starter and unlocked characters and multiplied it by Melee's... to get about... wait, never mind. I got like 54. lol.

Yours sounds better.
thnx. =]
its a 75 % of the starters added on to the starters. plus the 3rd party characters.

so 22 + 17 + 4

i think there will be 3 more 3rd parties (to have a full match) but if not then i think there will be that mistery character that no1 in general is expecting such as say, 2D mario =]

Smash Ace
We didn't get aq character this week so -1 unless we get 2 this next week.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
ya. next week i think there will be a update that i want=

Captain Falcon

hooray=]
and one I dont want=

Lucas

mother 3 was one of the most anticipated games of 2006 in japan.
and theyve been going by each character as they have appeared in their latest game so ness will be a costume you unlock imo.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
I love your sarcasm Pluvia.

Anyway, Idk. I think 35-40 characters would be good enough for me. I'll only play as maybe 4 of those characters, so I really don't care how much characters there will be. Unless there's only like 28, then that would be like "...wtf =|"

Top Bottom